Gardaland

Be interesting to see how it's taken in a Dive Machine train, even if it is a 6 seater one...

Also, points for it not being a Krake clone...

I hope not too many points Benin. Out of all the dive machines, this for me is the most uninteresting. Just seems to lack anything beyond Merlin's need to make Gardaland and Heide Park completely similar.

The actual ride layout looks very good for a dive machine, in that it actually has a layout past the first drop (unlike Oblivion).

Lets face it CJ, this is still the bare minimum that Merlin can get away with. The lack of ambition and effort undermines what the coaster could be. It's Krake with an extra inversion, nothing more. 

Lets face it CJ, this is still the bare minimum that Merlin can get away with. The lack of ambition and effort undermines what the coaster could be. It's Krake with an extra inversion, nothing more. 

And a helix (sort of).  Yes it does look similar to Krake but at least it has another inversion - they could have put in a clone.

Before Merlin we had an SLC, screamin squirrel & vekoma corkscrew as the leading rides

Now they have a decent mine train coaster, the best Wing Rider in Europe (potentially) and a Krake style dive coaster on the way.

Definitely an improved line up since takeover, but just a shame about the minimum of this ride has been applied, thirteen style marketing, Oblivion style logo and a near identical layout to Krake with white track.

Efteling on the other hand put a lot more effort on the theming experience and originality of their rides overall (which can definitely be seen in their upcoming dive coaster).

Efteling is just amazing I agree <3

I know the markets of Efteling and Merlin are different, but in terms of guest experience, I'd have to say Efteling beats all the Merlin-owned parks I've been to by miles!

I think this coaster will be a lot of fun, however in my opinion the money could have been spent on something more interesting! Saying that, Gardaland might theme it brilliantly, however I'm not holding my breath for anything like Baron 1898! :)

Before Merlin we had an SLC, screamin squirrel & vekoma corkscrew as the leading rides

Now they have a decent mine train coaster, the best Wing Rider in Europe (potentially) and a Krake style dive coaster on the way.

Definitely an improved line up since takeover, but just a shame about the minimum of this ride has been applied, thirteen style marketing, Oblivion style logo and a near identical layout to Krake with white track.

Efteling on the other hand put a lot more effort on the theming experience and originality of their rides overall (which can definitely be seen in their upcoming dive coaster).

Let's not forget Ramses :wub:

Pretty much most European parks have a Vekoma Looper and/or SLC in their lineup, it's strange but understandable given Vekoma's popularity when most of the parks were about... Even Efteling has it's own crap Vekoma (but with new trains) that looks out of place compared to everything else around...

The problem is more that Gardaland and Heide are seemingly getting the same stuff as well as the usual Merlin problems... It's worrying enough in a country where they have a monopoly, and given especially in Germany where the competition is truly above what Merlin are seemingly capable of, it's a really poor showing...

Whilst Italy is a lot more open, the quality in Gardaland is variable... Beyond the two dark rides (Il Corsari/Ramses) and Raptor, there was nothing of a truly amazing quality at the park...

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. Ain't it a great name ;)

Yes it is, I feel so, so sorry for the people involved with marketing the ride at Alton Towers as their whole work has just been completely copied.  If this is the "magic" that Merlin keep on about then I'm sorry but I'm done with them.  How can people lack imagination so much?  Can't even think of a name for a new coaster?  I could have even thought of one!  No wonder they can't run their parks properly!

I'm lost here, where is the confirmation that it's called Oblivion?

It's used as a turn of phrase in the video, but beyond that? Not a lot else that actually 100% confirms the name as of yet...

It was part of a Merlin performance pack where they refer to it as Oblivion. I'm sure Peter can find it.