Vampire

It would be great to see a complete refurbishment of Vampire.

The original entrance could be used, completley new queueline, abdab removed (sorry but he's falling apart, poor guy :P) and the gravestones around the queue could be put back in/new ones made.

The station could also do with a minor overhaul, nothing major but just a spruce up - oh, and turn up the theme music and turn down the ride operator's voice!

I refer to what I originally said:

Any modifications would also involve the the relocation of the Transylvania Treats kiosk

Then you said:

Why would they have to remove the kiosk?

No need either when it makes money...

So just move it, not take it away (if the queuelien is ever changed).

And yes, I remember the early 2008 days of 3 trains too, why isn't the 3rd used now? It's just a huge pile of of a train sitting on the side!

Don't have to move it (assuming the curent existing queue doesn't change, which it doesn't have to, it's good enough as is really bar a bit more theming dotted around)...

I think the 'official' reason for it's removal was that the ride couldn't cope with working with 3 trains... By this, I think they meant the staff can't due to the obscene amount of stacking that occurred the last few times I saw it on 3 trains...

Agreed that it is highly likely the 3rd train was axed due to staff being unable to cope. For those not aware, If the trains where not out of the station in good enough time then the 2nd train would stop on the 2nd lift hill. As the ride ages, problems are not un-common and in the event of a shutdown on 2 trains it could potentially mean evacuating the first and second lift-hill if on 3 trains. From what I used to see, vampire on 3 trains required experienced and efficient staff, the best of the bunch and quite simply it's not alaways possible to get those staff in.

I'd say the staff that actually gave a toss. I remember when I platformed with you on Vampire back in '08, there was no messing around and the parks team leaders joined in to keep the queue-line down and to get those trains out as quickly as possible. Now its gone completely the other way with the staff being more concerned with talking loudly through the PA or twiddling their thumbs and still not working hard enough to stop stacking in the break run.

I'd say the staff that actually gave a toss. I remember when I platformed with you on Vampire back in '08, there was no messing around and the parks team leaders joined in to keep the queue-line down and to get those trains out as quickly as possible. Now its gone completely the other way with the staff being more concerned with talking loudly through the PA or twiddling their thumbs and still not working hard enough to stop stacking in the break run.

As I said, the best staff had to be working on it, they even pulled you from another area ;) Dream Team!

It's a shame that apparently the staff are unable to put in the effort anymore, but it's to be expected. Judging from what I saw at Thorpe Park last year, it seems the staffing has gone completely downhill at Merlin. Cannot say anything for Alton Towers because I haven't been there for over half a decade.

Also, just remembered that I saw Train 1 (Which I believe was the 3rd train) Roll-Back in 2008 during testing, so it's been on it's way out for some time and I guess the maintanence / staffing aspects meant it was no longer worth it.

Wasn't that when it was being brought out for the first time of the year (Easter) and valleyed in the tunnel on the trims?

That's right. I'd imagine it wasn't too un-common as I remember a winch placed in that area to pull the train back up. Was still rather amusing to see. Many factors would have resulted in this happening, if I remember rightly it was freezing cold. The train had just been put back together, wheels would have been stiffer than usual and the train would have been light as there where no guests.

Cannot say anything for Alton Towers because I haven't been there for over half a decade.

I go to Alton Towers twice a year for a 2-day visit each, and I can safely say they are much more friendly and helpful up there than down south! Heck, even the locals are friendly, I stay not too far from the park and visit the local pub, I visit so often the locals in the pub remember me!

As I said, the best staff had to be working on it, they even pulled you from another area ;) Dream Team!

It's a shame that apparently the staff are unable to put in the effort anymore, but it's to be expected. Judging from what I saw at Thorpe Park last year, it seems the staffing has gone completely downhill at Merlin. Cannot say anything for Alton Towers because I haven't been there for over half a decade.

Also, just remembered that I saw Train 1 (Which I believe was the 3rd train) Roll-Back in 2008 during testing, so it's been on it's way out for some time and I guess the maintanence / staffing aspects meant it was no longer worth it.

The roll-back was more likely due to cold or new wheels haha.

The concentration since merlin has appeared has gone from throughputs to a heavy push on customer service. Some rides, you just cannot do that customer service without affecting throughputs.

Stupid really, cos half the staff just end up doing neither. Seeing as they're all paid minimum wage, they'd much rather race against each other and smile at a guest than do a full on happy conversation with a guest and not much else.

The concentration since merlin has appeared has gone from throughputs to a heavy push on customer service. Some rides, you just cannot do that customer service without affecting throughputs.

And in shifting that focus they've actually ended up achieving neither, because the biggest memory of customer service most leave that ride with is being shouted at at an incredible volume. Whole trains and stations full of people wince every time the atmosphere is harshly cut through by that damn PA booming. Why do they find the simple little things so hard?

Vampire requires an endless amount of announcements which unfortunately cuts out the ride music due to the volume.

Required Announcements (From what I remember)

- Stand Clear, Gates Opening
- Please Leave bellongings on opposite side of the platform, wear your bloody shoes
- I said wear your bloody shoes you traveller
- Okay, you've all got your shoes on?
- Stand Clear, Gates Closing
- Re-Check All Bars (Or just the fatty in the 3rd row)
- Hold On Tight, Here we go

... And repeat.

I agree about the volume, it's either too loud or too quiet.
Alot of those announcements didn't exist with the old Vampire, the music was allowed to play without being talked over every 10 seconds. A great soundtrack like The Vampire's deserves to be heard

Also, when was the last time all the torches in the station actually flickered like they're supposed to? I bet they haven't done so for about 10 years.
So much atmosphere lost...

The ride doesn't need announcements, no ride needs announcements. They just decide to do it.

Don't see Nemesis or Oblivion having continous PA announcements, which surely they'd need to being a same product ultimately. Coaster at a theme park.

Turn down the microphone volume, it's very easy. Any manager can do it at that park, heck even a host could if they wanted to and could access it.

Shocking that the second train waits in the break run. I saw this many a time last year. At one stage when three trains ran you had 40 seconds (I think) between dispatches and now they cant even dispatch it in 3 minutes. There was a sign mentioning you needed to be seated extremely quickly. I think it doesn't help that the train stops two or three times as it enters the station wasting time. Has done this ever since the new trains were put on.

If a train dispatches every 3 mins the ride has a shocking throughput of 480 people per hour. There is no surprise the queue moves painfully slow with a low capacity and fasttrack.

Shocking that the second train waits in the break run. I saw this many a time last year. At one stage when three trains ran you had 40 seconds (I think) between dispatches and now they cant even dispatch it in 3 minutes. There was a sign mentioning you needed to be seated extremely quickly. I think it doesn't help that the train stops two or three times as it enters the station wasting time. Has done this ever since the new trains were put on.

If a train dispatches every 3 mins the ride has a shocking throughput of 480 people per hour. There is no surprise the queue moves painfully slow with a low capacity and fasttrack.

I think the reason that it stops in the station was due to the fact it is downhill from what I can remember. Was always good to dispatch trains as quickly as possible. Was good to see if you could get the train ready to be dispatched before the ride would actually allow you to do so. Never would have had trains stopping in the break run back in my day. That said, I remember when it used to get stuck and I would often have to go round and push it into the station because it got stuck in the break run when it was cold!

Your right! Back in the 90's before the new trains took over there was loads of signs in the queueline to say you had 30-40 seconds to drop your bags, get in your seat and be checked. As it appeared in the queueline a few times I remember it made us guests have a sense of urgency in the queue thinking if we didn't get in on time the train will leave and we'd get run over - it was also a lively environment as there was a lot of focus. The new trains come in and all is lost :(