Vampire

1 hour ago, BaronC. said:

Wasn't their a rumour a few years ago that the park looked into repainting Vampire but were quoted something around the £1 million mark to do a basic repaint?

It would be expensive, maybe £1million is an exaggeration but I dont know, it wouldn't be a basic job thats for sure. Cleaning, stripping, priming and getting to every corner, and coating in the right kinds of paint for protection as well as looking good.

Merlin can easily afford it, and the ticket prices are big enough to warrant the best quality for every guests, but the way they manage scenic maintenance is either A: spend the money or B: just don't spend the money, and keep the ride looking bad until they can justify rebranding it.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:16 PM, OlivusPrime said:

Speaking of track repaints, what colour was Vampire's track originally? From what I remember of photos online, it was red with black supports? If so, it's aged horribly. In fact, I don't remember a time when the track wasn't a weather-beaten pale pink colour with dark brown supports.

Yes its still the original colour but aged - that orange/brown colour! 

• 2 months later...

Nothing "stops" them from operating three trains now, only their own tortured logic. Its still perfectly safe to do so. Earlier in the decade, higher management decided guests would rather wait an extra 40 minutes and not have the "experience interrupted". That's nonsense of course, but its sadly the truth. 

Even without three trains though, they ride is still capable of far more than it currently achieves. 600pph is probably the best you'll realistically get out of just the two, which may sound small, but its a damn sight better than the 400pph it likely averages at now...

Of course, throughputs are the least of Vampire's problems at the minute. The overall shoddy guest experience and DIY attitude towards the show's upkeep are far more pressing matters...

Not sure on any change, the park will have a lot of problems building anything else brand new over there because of the hotel on the other side of the fence and the amount of noise issues...

Best thing would be another Vekoma refurb, but with a new lift system (I.e. drive tyres) and trains... If there was one thing that caused issues on 3 trains platforming wise it was the inability of the train to stop (and the poor staff training since the start of this decade #bitter)...

1 hour ago, Benin said:

Best thing would be another Vekoma refurb, but with a new lift system (I.e. drive tyres) and trains... If there was one thing that caused issues on 3 trains platforming wise it was the inability of the train to stop (and the poor staff training since the start of this decade #bitter)...

Totally agree and it would be the only way to add a few more years of life to the ride. Although wouldn't want to lose that iconic arrow suspended lift hill sound ?.

The train stopping in the station has always been an issue. Generally surprised there hasn't been a way of sorting that out.

Or instead of once again extending the life of what is now a mediocre coaster with falling apart and god awful theming, scrap it!

Put an Intamin family launch coaster there, like Juvelen. Keep it low to the ground like Juv and enclose both launches to quiet the locals.

If they want to be really cheeky, make the running launch faster than Icon and go for the UK's fastest multi launch.

Dream World though I know.

The biggest frustration with Vampire is the ride still has the foundations of a really good attraction. You wouldn't get any new Merlin-built coaster doing anything as exciting as the fly over the village, or dropping into the tunnel at such high speed. And you'd DEFINITLEY not get the drama and atmosphere in the station.  

If they would just hurry up and sell the parks to a firm that cares (or at least one that functions properly), then I'm sure something could be done before it's too late.

I doubt you'd even need to have tire dive lifts (maybe to please the locals) but all it would really take to have less stressful 3 train operation would be a reworking of the braking structure around the end of the ride. That way it wouldn't need to stop on lift two. 

Still, Vampire still has far more obvious flaws than crappy block structure. 

2 hours ago, Mega-Lite said:

Or instead of once again extending the life of what is now a mediocre coaster with falling apart and god awful theming, scrap it!

They made it this way through years of poor maintenance. It used to be fantastic and exciting, it now looks god awful because they neglected it so long, stripped the station to the bare bones, took out most the original audio and effects, and lit it like a bad local night club. The coaster itself is dated now though could still be great fun for families, but is run so poorly and such a mess.

They could build a proper new one if SOMEHOW they got over the tough planning restrictions, but it would never be built to the same scope as the original Vampire. It would be another rushed Merlin-style job, recycling as much of the broken down original as possible.

4 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

If they would just hurry up and sell the parks to a firm that cares (or at least one that functions properly), then I'm sure something could be done before it's too late.

That's only ever going to happen if the park is making a loss for them. And they'll just make constant cutbacks first. :(

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

Not sure what makes anyone think Merlin selling the parks would automatically make them any better - Merlin are by no means perfect but things could be a lot lot worse.

I don't think anyone did say that... In fact, all I said was that provided it was sold to a company that operates effectively and has a bit more care for quality, things could be a lot better. A simple 'before and after' of attractions under Merlin would show you that...

A more independent operator that is experienced with good theme parks, not a vastly sized one that needs super inflated numbers to satisfy global shareholders over guest experience, would be far better than the existing management. Also more competition is very badly needed in the UK theme park industry, Merlin control and influence everything and can engineer the whole industry to how they want it.

8 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

I don't think anyone did say that... In fact, all I said was that provided it was sold to a company that operates effectively and has a bit more care for quality, things could be a lot better. A simple 'before and after' of attractions under Merlin would show you that...

Apologies missed that bit!

As I said - I don't think merlin are perfect - though at the same time I don't find them awful - I'd say the latter DIC / Tussauds days were worse but I guess it can be all down to opinion.

3 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

A more independent operator that is experienced with good theme parks, not a vastly sized one that needs super inflated numbers to satisfy global shareholders over guest experience, would be far better than the existing management. Also more competition is very badly needed in the UK theme park industry, Merlin control and influence everything and can engineer the whole industry to how they want it.

Do agree more competition in the U.K. would be a good thing for the Merlin attractions.

2 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

It would certainly improve things but I can't think of any independent company which would have the money to do so or want to. FTSE100 companies such as Merlin will pretty much only ever sell their divisions off for big sums of money and the buyers are almost always companies of similar size who will operate the same way. It's rare for something to go from being owned by a large corporation to being independently owned, simply because the price is too high. It's a sad fact and I wish it could be different, a company that really cares about the theme parks could make such a difference, but I just don't see it happening.

2 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

Also more competition is very badly needed in the UK theme park industry, Merlin control and influence everything and can engineer the whole industry to how they want it.

London Paramount seems to be the only viable competition to Merlin, although it's recently been announced that Paramount is pulling out and it's been delayed yet again to 2023. Merlin buy up everything so that they can make it how they want it without competition, although they can only change it so much before they lose customers.

IF the parks got sold off, their success would pretty much be depending on WHO got them... I'd be more optimistic for Chessie's future under Plopsa then say Parques Reunidos (although I'm sure many would not be happy by the further cookie cutter areas that Plopsa would provide) because it would suit their market perfectly...

HOWEVER, Thorpe under Plopsa would be completely wrong and arguably suit Parques Reunidos better... I think herein lies the rub, as it's unlikely that Merlin would sell them all off individually (and I also doubt they'd want rid of Legobland), so would there be an individual company willing to take on 3 parks where 2 of them desperately need high levels of reinvestment in infrastructure?