Vampire

it's a good thing they're well-padded

Is this the same Vampire we are talking about? :rolleyes:The restraints are awfully hard, uncomfortable and very restrictive. There is literally nowhere to put your hands without holding hands with the adjacent rider. That isn't always a good thing. Also, the back of the seat has no head rest! At all! Just hard, horrible plastic with a ridge in it (a ridge??? WHAT DID WE DO TO DESERVE THAT?) and some... black dots. Very strange, and very badly designed. Oh well.

Just hard, horrible plastic with a ridge in it (a ridge??? WHAT DID WE DO TO DESERVE THAT?) and some... black dots. Very strange, and very badly designed. Oh well.

Ridge? As in the ergnomic shape of the thing to suit the average back of people? The seats vary... It does depend on how you sit tbh... After so many times of riding it though just get used to it...Probs could do with some head padding though, but that won't happen... Good old Vekoma... Only thing we could ever dream of is getting the new Vekoma trains with new restraints (still the two across, 4 will NEVER happen)... But I highly doubt that will ever ever happen...

I have to say I disagree, whilst the ride is bumpy it's more in a 'shimmying' kind of way and not in a way where you'd bash your head. Secondly, I think the trains are actually quite comfortable? And whilst the restraints are much more restrictive than need be, they actually fir your body quite well, IMO. Fingers crossed 2011 is a good year for Vampire. :rolleyes:

Ridge? As in the ergnomic shape of the thing to suit the average back of people?

I may be remembering badly, but I seem to remember a small, outwards pointing ridge up the back of the seat which is extremely uncomfortable. I am a tall person (well, certainly for my age anyway) so it is not as if my head is where most people's backs would be. I just remember always leaning forward to avoid both the horrid restraints and the horrid back of the seat. I admit I do not always analyse the trains whenever I ride (erm, Chessington is for fun, isn't it? :rolleyes: ), so this ridge thing maybe a false memory or a memory from years ago when I was 8. So, erm, yeah, just ignore me...However, there is definitely absolutely no padding or comfort, just hard purple plastic. Which is hardly ergonomic...

• 1 month later...

Party time for Vampy!

Posted ImageThe original Vampire was built by Arrow Dynamics. It was the sixth suspended swinging coaster made by them and the first in Europe. The new swinging trains were added in 2002.The track, the three trains and control system was made in the US and shipped to Chessington WoA. From the top of the second lift hill you can see the London Eye, Canary Wharf and the Crystal Palace TV masts.To celebrate the coaster's anniversary, the park are running a 21 day special event, starting on 11th April until 1st May. * Brave Adventurers can experience the brand new Twilight Zone, an interactive, dark walkthrough with live actors providing screams around every corner. * Real life rats in the Vampire queue line. * A vampire called "Batty" will be roaming the Transylvania area. * The first 21 Young Adventurers to arrive in full vampire fancy dress every day during this period will get in for free. * There will be face painting in Transylvania and a fancy dress competition in Market Square.

Information taken from Coasterforce... And I shall definitely be there since Vampire will always hold a place in my heart as being my first coaster...

I discussed this with a friend the other day and we realised we never rode Chessington with the bat cars. Did the floorless trains really add that much to it? I know that they changed the ride in general to increase it's lifespan and improve reliability etc. but if Chessington only decided to change the trains purely for a new experience: do you think it paid off?

I actually realised that I have queued for the bat cars, but never ridden in them. It broke down as I got inside the station and we had to be evacuated. Fail really! I went on Falls though. :PAlso apparently just watching Rameses Revenge made me cry. Memory lane.

From someone who didn't get to ride the bat cars - I'd say I prefer the current ones...And before people jump down my throat - I think this purely because: - I think it sounds a lot quieter and nicer with the current trains - I like floorless trains - Looks a more comfortable ride experience.Would of been epic to ride the bat trains though.

From someone who didn't get to ride the bat cars - I'd say I prefer the current ones...And before people jump down my throat - I think this purely because: - I think it sounds a lot quieter and nicer with the current trains - I like floorless trains - Looks a more comfortable ride experience.Would of been epic to ride the bat trains though.

Not jumping down your throat really here, but you cannot really say for definite on your own personal experience which trains were better if you haven't ridden the old ones...Honestly though I cannot remember the actual riding or noise-making of the old trains, but they certainly looked the part... And based on how Big Bad Wolf and the other versions swing a lot more the actual riding bit was a lot better...I'd defo say the older trains are actually very comfy, and quicker to dispatch due to no seat-belts...I do like the floorless trains but would certainly prefer them to be actually themed... Never gonna happen though...Defo prefer the old trains though... Nothing beats the old memory of seeing it soar over the pathway as actual bats...

• 3 weeks later...