Vampire

Out of interest, what route did the original queueline take exactly? It's obvious that it has had several alterations over the years.

Like, from the old entrance, did it turn right and join up with the queueline near to where it currently starts, or travel underneath the break run where Fastrack currently goes? The presence of themed walls down the Fastrack route suggests it used to be used somehow.

I have seen several bits of media that show parts of the queue but it's difficult to work out. But what you can determine is how open the area was before the trees grew. Compare these two POV stills from 1993 and 2010:

ScreenShot2013-02-10at182028_zps61e5d0f1

Such a huge difference, and that is just one example. And the queueline looks like a flimsy metal barrier. Not purple though.

The queue used to go through the gates, down the steps.. it somehow appeared underneath the actual break run running alongside the building, then somehow appeared at the merge point.

I've tried for years to work out how the queue originally went. Never managed to make sense of it, noone seemingly remembers either. They changed it quite quickly to use a path similar to currently (though I believe that was even changed during the fastrack addition - you used to be able to see the queue route before they got rid of the brickwork).

In summary: don't think anyone knows.

Thank you! Perhaps the original queue simply followed the route that Fastrack now takes. I haven't used fastrack at Chessington for years, but if I recall correctly it travels through a tunnel of sorts, then goes up steps to the 'crypt' passageway (merge point). I guess they extended the queue soon after the first season to cope with the huge increase in guests, as they did with Bubbleworks.

Although I don't understand what you mean by this sentence.

you used to be able to see the queue route before they got rid of the brickwork

The queue used to go beside the actual break run and station though - looking down from the exit ramp, you used to be able to see the old queue fences.

Brickwork - the queue used to have bricks surrounding the paths, and you could see the 2nd version of the queue going differently to the current queue path. This was removed when they tore up the concrete and brickwork.

Basically, there's been 3 versions of vampires queue!

Vampire9.jpg

I see what you mean. To me that seems like the most illogical place to put the queue...

John Wardley also mentioned that the intention was that you queue through a graveyard. I remember there used to be many tombstones, some with names of famous people jokingly written on them, but they were always just randomly scattered about (as in horizontal on the floor!) and the majority have been removed now. And then there's the question of what used to be in the crypt corridor windows. I vaguely remember actually queueing down there once, not just marching straight through.

And there are other abandoned queues as well: the extra Dragon River queue bit, the Runaway Train balcony and waterfall... Yay I like investigating! It would be a lot better if I was physically there to rummage around, although I would probably be more concerned with actually riding it.

That's not the queue - that is just a pathway to a fire escape from the station.

The queue I was on about is literally just out of shot in that picture - it'd be underneath, as if you're looking straight down.

The graveyard stuff has only recently vanished though - they still had the majority of the theming back in 08, however they seemingly were mostly removed when abdab was stupidly put in the queueline. Would be great to get it back into a graveyard style.

As for queueing in the crypt area, I still believe they should do. There's no reason they shouldn't. Get a proper batching system in, loading up the bays properly, and having people queue up the ramp and through the crypt. Oh wells..

And there are other abandoned queues as well: the extra Dragon River queue bit, the Runaway Train balcony and waterfall... Yay I like investigating! It would be a lot better if I was physically there to rummage around, although I would probably be more concerned with actually riding it.

The worst queue I have seen is Nemesis at Alton Towers. It's the extended queue near to the station and brake run, which hasn't been touched for years. Also, the queue just under the end of the lift hill and first turn is in the same poor state.

20001.jpg

This little building at the bottom of Transylvania disappeared after one year. Well actually it is still there today, just hidden behind the Vampire Bites food outlet. Look down when you are on Vampire and you will see it buried in ivy. If the queue did turn left and head towards the station, it would have passed right behind this little building. You can also see the exit path coming out next to it under the blue balustrade, which is now hidden by game stalls.

Also... did these tunnels under the crypt once serve a purpose as part of the queue or exit paths? The current bare, unthemed exit path struck me as being out of place.

IMG_0142_zps99d14780.jpg

It's obvious that it was not designed to be like it is today, it's gone through so many alterations that the experience feels patchy. The queueline is a mess of concrete, the theming ranges from extremely cheap to fantastic, and the coaster itself is an odd cross between Arrow and Vekoma technology. So I'm trying to interpret the original ride experience as it would have been in 1990, and I hope that soon the ride will get closer to how it used to be.

The arches have never been used for the public. The original queue line that the ride opened with, was a small cattle pen gravel section, that was directly to the right of-and led guests into the large gate and down the stairs, and through the tunnel that is now used for fastrack. The tunnel used to have mist through it. The mist effect was finally stopped due to H&S having issues with waterborne diseases.

As the cattle pen was fairly small, it was common for the queue line to back up down the hill and end up at the cave. There was no route under the ride as their is today.

I do have some pictures of a couple of years later, when this new queue line was made, I'll try dig them out.

You can also see the exit path coming out next to it under the blue balustrade, which is now hidden by game stalls.

So was that exit path used before it was changed to walk through the Fangtasia gift shop? My only guess is the introduction of the on-ride photo meant the installation of the Picsolve desk in the shop, therefore changing the exit route. Has there been an on-ride photo since day one?

The on-ride photo was never originally there, no. It was added later and included either bright green, or bright red 'plaques' attached to the inside of each car, letting you know which carrage you were in, which would then corrispond to the video screen in the shop. Its also worth noting that you could still at that point, exit around the shop before it was closed in. Same for the Bubbleworks, you would exit straight ahead and didn't have to go into the shop.

The Vamp's on-ride photo sounds more advanced than the current system!

I'm really looking forward to see how improved the Fangtasia Gift Shop is this year. As well as this, we also have to look forward to:

• The Burger Kitchen opening
  • The possible opening of the old Vampire entrance
  • The vines being removed
  • The trees (we think) have gone from outside The Burgher Kitchen and toilets
  • The transformation of Refresh into the Creaky Cafe

Even though all this is mainly on track for the new season, it's a shame the park didn't close Transylvania around September or October last year to give Transylvania a proper improvement it has desperately needed for years. I can't think of much else they can improve in this area, but I'm sure others can, and surely they are jobs that would allow the area to be closed for more than the closed season period.

It would be suicide for the park to deliberately close one of their biggest coasters for the busy period of October, especially as Fury cannot cope (and vice versa with Fury closing and the effect on Vamps)... Let alone closing Bubbles...

As for the shop, don't get too excited, it's an awful mish mash of colours and whilst the empty look at the moment doesn't help, I dunno what good merch will do to it...

The only thing left for Chessie to do with that area is gut out Bubbles and make it a decent darkride again... Same ride system, completely new theme and redo the exterior whilst they're at it... Piece of absolute turd thing it is and it gets worse every year...

I don't think the Vampire's queue or exit route has ever gone beside the brake run or under the crypt.

Everything TraX said about the original queue is pretty much spot on. I believe the original queue only lasted about two years before it was extended.

I honestly don't get why they stopped using the grand entrance, It looks so much more imposing than that awful purple bar used now.
I really hope they finally use it again.

I honestly don't get why they stopped using the grand entrance, It looks so much more imposing than that awful purple bar used now.

I really hope they finally use it again.

It's because they "needed" a fastrack queue, which had to be shorter than the main queue. So they brought back the original 'tunnel' queue and designated the archway as the Fastrack entrance, then moved the main queue up the path a bit and plonked on the bar. (As if Fastrack riders had the privilege of a themed entrance because they paid more!) I remember going through the gates once with Fastrack, but now they don't even open the doors and send you round the side.

Of course, that is a silly reason to disuse the entrance. They could have easily allowed Fastrack and non-Fastrack to use it, because both routes branched off from the same entrance.

It would be perfect if this year the whole Vampire queueline was replaced. I have realised how ugly it is now, all purple peeling bars and wonky concrete sprawled across the forest floor. The actual route itself could be quite nice if they tried, you get right into the trees and have good views of the ride appearing and disappearing around you.

^^No it wouldn't? That unit has been there for years and there has been no problem using the gateway entrance. You literally just need to build a fence, connecting it back to the queue that's already there. It would mean you just walk through the doors, turn right and walk straight out again from behind the wall - but it's still far better.

^^No it wouldn't? That unit has been there for years and there has been no problem using the gateway entrance. You literally just need to build a fence, connecting it back to the queue that's already there. It would mean you just walk through the doors, turn right and walk straight out again from behind the wall - but it's still far better.

I don't think I explained it properly - I was refering to the kiosk halfway through the queue.