It was awesome when Chessington built sizeable rides that were surprising, inventive, bold, that bit different for families. It was always fairly simple but had a great fun edge and quality, not cheap imitations and very commercial/sentimental.  The park has really been thrown to amateaurs and has no real direction now. Well it's been that way for 15 years.

Sad that Vampire is now so cheap feeling and DIY, it's really a big tombstone for the early ambitious days of the park.

15 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

Sad that Vampire is now so cheap feeling and DIY, it's really a big tombstone for the early ambitious days of the park.

Agreed. Compared to when Chessington weren't afraid to use movie-style sets, facades and special effects, it's now quite apparent that the first consideration they take with every "refurbishment" is where their nearest B&Q is...

On 19/01/2017 at 1:46 PM, pluk said:

The problem that causes the discomfort is the trains seem to not be solidly coupled which causes them to shuffle back and forth into each other as it travels along the track. This isn't really noticeable at the front or back but is worse in the middle of the train. Swinging side to side softly is fun, jerking back and forth not so much.

The ride always did the odd "shuffling" thing even in the pre-Vekoma days although I agree it's worse with the current trains it does seem to be a characteristic of that type of ride as Ninja and Iron Dragon definitely do that too. 

It still pains me to hear talk of a good day on The Vampire being 400-600pph... Back in the ride's early days they were getting well over 1700pph with a good crew and 3-train operations. I can certainly remember when we went in 1991 we parked in the grass car park and the queue started more or less where the gates are at the path from the south entrance, despite that and the full queue being open we were on within 30min. Heaven knows how long a similar queue would take now! Even later in the 1990s they were dispatching trains so fast that they would slow lift 1 to allow the right spacing and avoid stops in the (then) pitch dark transfer station. It was actually very rare for lift 2 to slow back then!

The whole issue with the trains parking so slowly is so frustrating as it's obviously perfectly possible to program a control system to work like it worked for the first ten years of operation... to me the way the trains used to thunder round the corner into the station before the chorus of hisses and chirps from the brakes brought the train to a stop (one stop, right place every time) was a key part of the ride's theatre and obviously it helped maintain a good throughput.

I know it'll never happen but for me if the park were to make a nod to their history and do a sympathetic restoration it would really bring something to the market at a time when new low-capacity gimmicks (VR anyone?) are ruining many parks. 

(I) ask Vekoma to engineer some new enclosed "bat" trains with their new vest style harnesses. Have three six-car trains, as this would allow some reconfiguration of the blocks to allow for all three trains to be in the station area if needed but maintain a good capacity of 1400-1500pph. 

(ii) install a decent control unit that parks the trains more efficiently.

(iii) repaint the ride and restore the rock work around the tunnel.

(iv) restore the station and use the original entrance. 

I can dream!!!

I am pretty sure the old trains didn't have seat belts on the restraints which would have been a factor into slowing down loading since the current trains were put in place.

1 hour ago, Mattgwise said:

I am pretty sure the old trains didn't have seat belts on the restraints which would have been a factor into slowing down loading since the current trains were put in place.

Vampire, on 3 new trains was still able to get quick dispatches, its just operations and need have slowed down.

6 hours ago, RobF said:

Vampire, on 3 new trains was still able to get quick dispatches, its just operations and need have slowed down.

Yes, certainly I remember in the early days of the new trains once they'd fixed the initial issues with the guide wheel of the front car slamming into the guide rail at the base of the second lift they started using all 3 trains and were dispatching at 75-80sec intervals quite reliably.

Most of the recent videos I've seen they are stacking even with only 2 trains which is absolutely shocking - the correct interval with 2 trains is to dispatch when the previous train detaches from lift 2!