Thunder Looper

Mardy

Thunder Looper was one of the best rides at AT, no doubt about it. That was one of the first 'launch' coasters in the UK but didn't use the sophisticated technology we see today on the likes of Stealth and Rita. Thunder Looper used a counterweight catapult system.It was very affective and was an awesome ride. The fact that it only had a lap bar restraint made it even better.It's still running today I believe in a park outside the UK.Reasons for it's removal...1.) Noisey2.) Could be seen from outside the park (above tree tops)3.) UnreliableI reckon then should of wacked it in a hole like they did with Nemesis and then stuck a Black Hole type cover over it. That would have been awesome!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I lost my loop virginity to this beauty. Was always the best when the fog was hanging low, disappearing into the cloud was a real thrill. No OTSR, an amazing launch when launching was unheard of. It was perfection in its time, but I doubt it would have aged well had it remained.Found its twin sister in Knotts Berry Farm last year, and rode it with a tear of nostalgia in my eye.

• 5 months later...

I cant confirm this 100%, but I heard that the ride did breach the tree height limit and they could only apply for the ride on a temporary contract(apparenly for 4 years at first) they then tryed to extend it which they did for another 2 years, but were told that noise levels need to come down and improve otherwise it would be taken down, this was then for this very reason that it was eventually removed.Great ride it was though, ahhhhhh I so miss Thunderlooper, What a classic :o