Thorpe Park 2022

Glitch

I had an off the cuff visit on Saturday my first since Oktoberfest. Didnt arrive until 11 was amazed to walk straight in and through security checks as ive heard all the horror stories with the queues I'm normally a 9:30 arrival kind of guy so dont know if thats normal. For me the Dome has some very strong smell pods this year and didnt spend too long in there because of it although I did have a headache. Operations and atmosphere across the park felt good and could see plenty of general upkeep improvements throughout which was great to see. Nothing else majorly different that we dont already know about. Thrill makers plenty of interactions with younger guests and see they now have a training book for kids aswell. Sunken gardens looked great and ate in pizza pasta couldnt fault it.  I think they have gotten on top of the music issues although strange not hearing wwtp in amity where the stage now is makes it very quiet when the shows are not on. Storm surge had a massive leak bigger than usual turning the walking dead queue line into waterfall the poor ride hosts were soaked. Playground still not ready, plenty of loggers pin badges left only small gripe the parking barriers didnt recognise my number plate or let me scan the QR code on the way out so had to buzz the intocom to get out number of other cars had same issue across all barriers and also happened to me on my last visit aswell. Lets see what the new events bring in a few weeks time

Double post, call the cops.

Got to experience the new for 2022 toilets today (twice, as it goes) and they really are very nice indeed. How come any of the so called vlogstars have yet to mention this amazing bit of tech at the entrance though, see photos attached.

And secondly - where are those fabled extra 2 toilets? Are they hidden - an "easter egg", if you will?

279072120_10159669364243592_2853886941196828813_n.jpg

278584694_10159669364083592_8129602401092077895_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Hi are there any updates on the future of Rocky Express?

It will not be returning.

It will not open anywhere else.

It will either all go to the scrapheap, or they might save a bit of it and store it behind the scenes in case they ever want to display it in any form.

Timber Tug Boat has now docked into Chessington. It’s going to imminently be renamed Trawler Trouble. The Ship with its new name and livery is expected to sail again within the next month.

Trawler Trouble  looks extremely immersive and follows Disney Standards. It’s hard to believe only 6 months ago it was a ride that resembled that of a Traveling Funfair. I knew that Timber Tug Boat was in for a full scale refit rather than a rename to Trawler Trouble. Chessington is the best Themed Park in England. I have always said that Chessington reminds me of the Disney Parks.

323563B1-4567-448F-A6EF-0EB7FA61E962.jpeg

23 minutes ago, coasterverse said:

I don't know how many times you need to be told it's going to be demolished... 😂

@coasterverse it’s devastating that Rocky Express is going to be torn to pieces. I truly wish that Rocky Express could have the same fate as Timber Tug Boat (Trawler Trouble) or Lumber Jump (High Stricker). I think Project Exodus is the best thing that’s happened to Timber Tug Boat and Lumber Jump. Since the respective rides have been rethemed and relocated to Chessington and Amity they look a whole lot better. I would say that both rides are in the locations they were destined for. While in Old Town the rides looked cheaply out of place. I think they were rammed into Old Town so Thorpe could advertise new rides for 2017. Ironically the most popular and  aptly themed ride in Old Town,is the one that will soon be history. I hope Thorpe has a change of heart and relocates Rocky Express to the former location of Wet Wet Wet.

8 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

I hope Thorpe has a change of heart and relocates Rocky Express to the former location of Wet Wet Wet.

The Wet Wet Wet site has been transformed into a lifeguard like area for the Beach. I don't envision it being used for a ride any time soon.

I'll replace the link with all the details when I'm not on my phone, but the park's app has updated showing everything we can expect from the Mardi Gras event, which starts Thursday:

May be an image of text that says "Find rides, queue times and m... HORPE HORPA AREAS FREESTYLE HOTEL EXTRAS Dodgems Fat Brass Jazz Band fdi G Drum Works Community Band Mardi Gras Meet Krewes Show Detonator Google Amity Beach Black Mirror Labyrinth Closed Colossus Closed Explore"

May be an image of food and text that says "Mardi Gras East Street Food St... አ5 Gras MARDI GRAS EAST STREET FOOD STALLS Right in the Hub of Mardi Gras you'll find street stalls serving: Traditional Jambalaya Louisiana Ribs & Spicy Rice Cajun Corn with Chilli Butter Cajun Shrimp Po Boys Card payments only X…. Annual Pass discount Magic Money accepted Explore"

Full highlights include:

-A parade from Depth Charge to the area

-A variety of musical acts

-Mardi Grad celebration shows

-Special food items at the park's restaurants

-Two Mardi Gras exclusive food outlets

Nice to see a fully fledged event, by the looks of it anyway.

It’s got a bit of everything, isn’t just based around food (Oktoberfest) or Music (Parkvibes). It feels like a transformation of the whole park, something which is an advantage over towers. 

Curious to see how well received the parade is, I’m not sure on what level to expect it. All I’m saying is that Thorpe’s demographic is likely to turn a blind eye to it.

That isn’t to say, that I wouldn’t want it. I’m really excited to see it along with all the other performances.

I’m just aware, the main demographic turn a blind eye to the Thrillmakers.

16 hours ago, ML27 said:

Nice to see a fully fledged event, by the looks of it anyway.

It’s got a bit of everything, isn’t just based around food (Oktoberfest) or Music (Parkvibes). It feels like a transformation of the whole park, something which is an advantage over towers. 

Curious to see how well received the parade is, I’m not sure on what level to expect it. All I’m saying is that Thorpe’s demographic is likely to turn a blind eye to it.

That isn’t to say, that I wouldn’t want it. I’m really excited to see it along with all the other performances.

I’m just aware, the main demographic turn a blind eye to the Thrillmakers.

Events bar say the October Halloween run are just another reason to sell more merch / food, guess you can't complain though as technically they are free and add more to do to the park.

Mardi Gras started today, and of course TPM were there!

We have a write up here: https://thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/19-05-2022/Mardi+Gras+Arrives+at+Thorpe+Park

I also want to share my own thoughts, and not just a fansite write up review...

In short, this is a fun event, and it's clear that a lot has gone into this. It's clear that there's been a solid vision from management that they wanted to deliver. It's clear that the actors involved in the entertainment have put in a lot of effort. It's clear that the park wanted to offer a solid F&B range. It's clear everyone involved has put time and effort into it. It's clear that money has been spent on it too. All of this sounds like a given for a theme park event, yes. But ask yourself, how many times has it felt in the past that these things haven't been clear for a Thorpe event or thing? Now you realise why it's so good to stress these things.

I'll start off with my main positive: the food. I'm a bit of a foodie. The one thing which disappointed me the most with the Oktoberfest events at Thorpe is the food and drink options being, frankly, poor. You could get the cheapest bratwursts going, in a dry bun for an extortionate price. You could get some lebkuchen, again for a heck of a lot, and a choice of one or two authentic German beers. But it all felt very meh with effort. 

Mardi Gras feels different. They've got a lot of choices there which feel a bit more authentic, and they're at a reasonable theme park cost (ie not cheap for what it is necessarily, but in line with the rest of the park pretty much).

Next, the entertainment. I'll start off with the negative: the actors seem to have instructions when interacting with people to be a bit over the top, cringey and cater to younger audiences, or people who are more outgoing. That's fine if that's what they're going for, but not for me. It made me cringe and crease, and is something I would run a mile from usually. But then again, people enjoyed it; not everything has to cater to me.

Now the good stuff. The parade they have is fun; a little basic, but it draws attention to the event. I worry how it will cope on busy days since it goes through some of the busiest pathways on park, but what can you do. The main show, the Crowning of the Krewes, is great fun - the right side of cheesey, whilst also not being cringey. It's exactly the sort of thing the park has missed for so long (and much better than what the park were doing with the Thrillmakers imo).

There's also some external entertainment (ie not Thorpe actors), in the guise of drum and jazz bands. They're nice and break things up too.

I really hope it's a success for the park, because it ticks a lot of the boxes. There's still things they can improve and grow on, and I do wonder how it will cope on busier (or wetter) days. But as things stands, it does feel like Thorpe are onto a winner!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,I’m sorry to sound like a stuck record. Are there any updates on the future or Rocky Express? We’re now almost 3 Months into the 22 season,and I am still none the wiser about the fate of Rocky Express. The last I heard Rocky Express was dormant but in the same condition as last season. The only difference was a construction fence,around the perimeter of the ride. My assumption is that the construction fence has been implemented, to protect Rocky Express from the demolition of the rest of Old Town. I think Rocky could easily be relocated to another area of Thorpe Park, for instance the site of the SBNO Slammer.  Alternatively Thorpe could relocate Rocky Express to the Samurai area. I say this as I predict this ride is on borrowed time. Much like,the removed,Ramasis Ravenge at Chessington,Samurai is incredibly unreliable and ageing.Another possibly is that Angry Birds Land could be changed and Rocky Express could slot in here.

5 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Hi,I’m sorry to sound like a stuck record. Are there any updates on the future or Rocky Express? We’re now almost 3 Months into the 22 season,and I am still none the wiser about the fate of Rocky Express. The last I heard Rocky Express was dormant but in the same condition as last season. The only difference was a construction fence,around the perimeter of the ride. My assumption is that the construction fence has been implemented, to protect Rocky Express from the demolition of the rest of Old Town. I think Rocky could easily be relocated to another area of Thorpe Park, for instance the site of the SBNO Slammer.  Alternatively Thorpe could relocate Rocky Express to the Samurai area. I say this as I predict this ride is on borrowed time. Much like,the removed,Ramasis Ravenge at Chessington,Samurai is incredibly unreliable and ageing.Another possibly is that Angry Birds Land could be changed and Rocky Express could slot in here.

I understand your fascinating with the ride, and your want for it to return in some way. But your question has already been answered...

On 5/11/2022 at 6:48 AM, JoshC. said:

It will not be returning.

It will not open anywhere else.

It will either all go to the scrapheap, or they might save a bit of it and store it behind the scenes in case they ever want to display it in any form.

Rocky Express will not be returning to the Thorpe Park ride line up. It will not open anywhere else. It is time to accept that you will not be able to ride it again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 1:47 AM, Theme Park Fanatic said:

I find it interesting how you say that Sumurai is on borrowed time (which, to be fair, it is) but refuse to accept that Rocky Express is dead. gone. buried. finished.

You have to remember that Rocky Express opened in 1989... waaaaay past its prime.

I think it's time to let go, man.