Thorpe Park 2022

Glitch

Is it true that a large factor in the closure of Loggers Leap was hygiene? I remember reading the water on Loggers Leap came straight from the lake without being filtered or sterilised. If this was the case this would explain why Chessington still have Tiger Rock. Tiger Rock (Dragon Falls) is a newer Log Flume than Loggers Leap was. Due to this Tiger Rock has a plant room in which the water is filtered and sterilised with Chlorine. TBH I wish Thorpe had invested in a filter for Loggers Leap. The ride was extremely iconic and popular. Even Princess Diana and a young Prince William and Harry rode Loggers Leap. 

2 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Is it true that a large factor in the closure of Loggers Leap was hygiene? I remember reading the water on Loggers Leap came straight from the lake without being filtered or sterilised. If this was the case this would explain why Chessington still have Tiger Rock. Tiger Rock (Dragon Falls) is a newer Log Flume than Loggers Leap was. Due to this Tiger Rock has a plant room in which the water is filtered and sterilised with Chlorine. TBH I wish Thorpe had invested in a filter for Loggers Leap. The ride was extremely iconic and popular. Even Princess Diana and a young Prince William and Harry rode Loggers Leap. 

Loggers Leap closed because it required a lot of work, and the park didn't have the engineering budget at the time to carry out said work. The longer it was left, the more expensive it became to get it back up to standard (and, naturally, the more problems which arose).

It is true that the water came from the lake, and this is fine and didn't break any H&S rules, and the ride still could have run today had the park wished for it to. 

The issue with sterilising / cleaning / treating water is that that water cannot go back into the lake. This would mean it would have to be a closed water system. That would be extremely difficult to do with Loggers given its location and the fact it went round the lake.

As I say, Loggers could have still run today if the park put the money in, but it's not related to filtering the water.

18 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Loggers Leap closed because it required a lot of work, and the park didn't have the engineering budget at the time to carry out said work. The longer it was left, the more expensive it became to get it back up to standard (and, naturally, the more problems which arose).

It is true that the water came from the lake, and this is fine and didn't break any H&S rules, and the ride still could have run today had the park wished for it to. 

The issue with sterilising / cleaning / treating water is that that water cannot go back into the lake. This would mean it would have to be a closed water system. That would be extremely difficult to do with Loggers given its location and the fact it went round the lake.

As I say, Loggers could have still run today if the park put the money in, but it's not related to filtering the water.

its true the structure required a lot of work along with modern evac platforms around the entire route, but once Thorpe closed it for so long they couldn't re-open it based on cost and the water ride water rules, if it hadn't closed it would have been fine but to reopen ot build a replacement water ride on the site needs a closed water system in place that is treated. Its not practical with the area for the water not to contaminate the lakes, the water from both lifts drain to the lakes, the water is pumped from the lakes etc

On 11/11/2022 at 3:59 PM, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Couldn’t imagine this being true considering that Rumba Rapids operates the exact same way - so if Rumba’s allowed to operate with it, Loggers would be allowed too.

1 hour ago, coasterverse said:

Couldn’t imagine this being true considering that Rumba Rapids operates the exact same way - so if Rumba’s allowed to operate with it, Loggers would be allowed too.

@coasterverse I thought Rumba Rapids had a Plant Room and was sterilised with Chlorine. The water on Rumba always looks clear whereas the water on Loggers Leap looked slightly murky. I think Loggers should have had a Plant Room added. Log Flumes are really inclusive and enjoyable rides.

Tidal Wave and storm surge have water treatment plants, Rumba and Loggers dont

Its a situation with a grandfathers rights clause

and Loggers physically couldn't had water treatment fitted due to the nature of water splash entering the lake

loggers was worn out and needed alot of work which is why the death knell took so long to be rung 

Why’s everyone adamant that Rocky Express won’t be relocated and reopened? In 2004 everyone was saying The Flying Fish would never going to be relocated. Fast forward to 2007 and The Flying Fish was back in a new location. I think Rocky Express is likely to have the same fate. Firstly throughout the demolition of Old Town Rocky Express has been shielded from damage. Secondly Rocky Express received a major overhaul during the 2020 closed season. Finally there’s a vacant gap where Wet Wet Wet stood. All these factors lead me to believe Rocky Express could be rethemed and relocated to Amity Beach. Should this happen Rocky Express could be marketed as next years new ride. Lumber Jump Rocky Express’s former neighbour was relocated to Amity and rethemed to High Striker. High Striker was marketed as this years new ride. I actually liked that Lumber Jump was rethemed,relocated and renamed to become this years new ride. Rocky Express could easily be relocated.

Rocky Express has been relocated before during its time at Thorpe Park. Initially Rocky Express operated in Octopus Garden. When Canada Creek opened Rocky Express was rethemed and relocated to become the ride we know today. 

On 11/14/2022 at 12:17 PM, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Why’s everyone adamant that Rocky Express won’t be relocated and reopened? In 2004 everyone was saying The Flying Fish would never going to be relocated. Fast forward to 2007 and The Flying Fish was back in a new location. I think Rocky Express is likely to have the same fate. Firstly throughout the demolition of Old Town Rocky Express has been shielded from damage. Secondly Rocky Express received a major overhaul during the 2020 closed season. Finally there’s a vacant gap where Wet Wet Wet stood. All these factors lead me to believe Rocky Express could be rethemed and relocated to Amity Beach. Should this happen Rocky Express could be marketed as next years new ride. Lumber Jump Rocky Express’s former neighbour was relocated to Amity and rethemed to High Striker. High Striker was marketed as this years new ride. I actually liked that Lumber Jump was rethemed,relocated and renamed to become this years new ride. Rocky Express could easily be relocated.

Rocky Express has been relocated before during its time at Thorpe Park. Initially Rocky Express operated in Octopus Garden. When Canada Creek opened Rocky Express was rethemed and relocated to become the ride we know today. 

It's just not going to happen.

Thorpe Park have always had history with Flying Fish - considering it was their very first rollercoaster investment, it makes perfect sense that it should be preserved for as long as possible. Rocky Express is just a generic Mack flat ride that - yes, has been around for a long time - but was never a significant investment to the park, and therefore I can't imagine anyone from the management team really caring about its fate.

The area by Wet Wet Wet would benefit much better from a new permanent stage setup than it would a relocation of Rocky Express, especially considering the park's intentions to keep Mardi Gras, Carnival, Oktoberfest and Fright Nights as their staple event lineup. More events means more entertainment, and at the moment the park is seriously lacking a permanent stage setup and the best place for that stage at the moment is looking to be the old Wet Wet Wet location.

Alternatively, unlike its other flatride partners from Old Town, Rocky Express requires a hell of a lot more operational headache to move than its counterparts Lumber Jump and Timber Tug Boat. For a start the ride is embedded in the ground unlike the other two which can just be picked up and moved. Additionally, the other two rides are essentially just one unit which makes them super easy to just pick up and relocate. Rocky Express would need to be totally dismantled into multiple different parts, relocated elsewhere, have another hole dug in the ground, rebuilt inside of the hole, add new theming etc. It just doesn't make logistical and financial sense to move it, when they can just get another brand new flat ride and install it elsewhere in the park for significantly less money.

More logisitical headaches moving the ride means more people that Thorpe would need to employ to get the ride moved, which brings the cost of the ride relocation up even more.

It's not happening. Rocky Express is dead and buried, and will very likely be demolished within the upcoming weeks/months.

On 11/14/2022 at 12:17 PM, Theme Park Fanatic said:

In 2004 everyone was saying The Flying Fish would never going to be relocated.

Except people weren't saying that. 

With Fish, the ride went into storage, with an intention to possibly sell it. The plan then changed and the park reintroduced it, with a new train. Being in storage, the ride was protected from the elements and well looked after. This is very different to Rocky, which has been effectively abandoned for a year now.

Rocky Express is not returning. 

On 11/18/2022 at 8:52 PM, JoshC. said:

Except people weren't saying that. 

With Fish, the ride went into storage, with an intention to possibly sell it. The plan then changed and the park reintroduced it, with a new train. Being in storage, the ride was protected from the elements and well looked after. This is very different to Rocky, which has been effectively abandoned for a year now.

Rocky Express is not returning. 

But what if it was…

8 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

I am certain Rocky Express will reopen in a new location of Thorpe Park. The builders are being carful while removing Rocky. If the ride was being scrapped the builders wouldn't be dismantling it so tenderly. 

I want you to be right so bad. Would be a TPM moment for the ages

20 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

I am certain Rocky Express will reopen in a new location of Thorpe Park. The builders are being carful while removing Rocky. If the ride was being scrapped the builders wouldn't be dismantling it so tenderly. 

I heard they are taking the old Nemesis track and building a brand new B&M inverter at Sea Life Brighton.