Nemesis

Dan9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nemesis is a great B&M but the one thing that turbines my tubulars is the bit, after the loop, (and I know I'm nit-picking here), just after going under the queueline bridge and as it turns right its not a smooth banked turn it kind banks then levels out then banks again. Even off ride I think it looks slightly out of place. It's something you don't really notice unless you're knowing to look for it though. Onride its not as noticeable but can still notice. Just a slight imperfection.

I think that the one thing about Nemesis is that it's one of the best themed rides. I went with a few mates of mine who'd never been to AT before, and they were amazed at the detail of the station in comparison to the other rides, and those at Thorpe Park.
Will always be one of the best rides in the world to me. The best part being the dive down underground going into the loop.

Nemesis is a great B&M but the one thing that turbines my tubulars is the bit, after the loop, (and I know I'm nit-picking here), just after going under the queueline bridge and as it turns right its not a smooth banked turn it kind banks then levels out then banks again. Even off ride I think it looks slightly out of place. It's something you don't really notice unless you're knowing to look for it though. Onride its not as noticeable but can still notice. Just a slight imperfection.

It's not an imperfection, per sé. It's the one point where B&M and Wardley said "Hey, were going a little too fast for the train/riders to cope here". It's called a stall turn, because that's what it does. It diminishes some extraneous kinetic force by reducing the banking slightly before diving into the last inversion.

To put it into perspective, one of the fastest points on the ride comes after the loop, entering the stall turn, and you're already past the half-way point here. Most other inverters B&Ms are crawling at a comparatively pedestrian speed at their respective halfway points while Nemesis must still be dancing around 45mph - roughly 5mph shy of it's top speed. It made sense for them to want to slow the train down seeing as there's only a corkscrew and a helix left of the circuit. If they hadn't, you can guarantee there'd be more maintenance required on the track and supports here due to high G-forces (á la the first helix a couple of years ago) as well as a very snappy turn onto the brake run which could been very uncomfortable for riders.

I actually love the stall turn from both aspects- on and off ride. On ride because it gives you a breather, you begin to think Nemesis has given all it has then bam! Straight after it is another forceful corkscrew. It's also great off ride as you see the trains glide over that little plaza area by the station with feet dangling.

nemesis01.jpg

Beautiful!

The thing with Nemesis is it doesn't claim to be the biggest, fastest, longest, most inverting, worlds scariest ride on Earth. It just has a solid story line, followed by a decent queuing experience for a ride in Britain (the train swooping overhead to the first corkscrew, the look down into the pit and loop and the red waterfalls), then an amazing ride that has one of the most unique layouts ever utilising the landscape brilliantly. Perfect! The whole area is great, hearing the roar of this untamed beast as you head towards the Valley sets of the adrenaline before you've even seen Nemesis! It just goes to show that a ride doesn't need a world first element or gimmick to be great and successful, it just needs a complete experience that is amazing. The fact it's 20 years old and remains favourites to many and ranks very high every year is amazing.

I do love how the name Nemesis arose, from the drunk minds of John Wardley and Nick Varney (if you haven't read "Creating my own Nemesis" here's the extract).

We thought about Greek mythological names, prehistoric monster names, ancient Egyptian pharaoh's names. Nothing was working. Then, on a book shelf behind him I saw the answer to our problem. It was not a dictionary, or reference book, or encyclopaedia. It was a bottle of Southern Comfort. That should lubricate our creative juices.

By 8 o'clock the bottle was half empty, and the ideas were flowing. Our speech was becoming ever so slightly slurred. By 9 o'clock the bottle was empty, and Nick said "I don't care a f**k what we call it, but it has to end in 'is'."

"Like Osiris?" I said.

"Yes, that sort of thing," he replied.

Now normally people like to take the credit for successful things themselves. But what followed I distinctly remember came out of Nick's mouth, where he is convinced it came out of mine. We give each other credit for suddenly blurting out the name:

NEMESIS!

I haven't actually experienced Nemesis before though with all the hype surrounding it, I have a bad feeling I may be left slightly underwhelmed.

I am staying positive, though I know what it is like when someone bigs something up and then it turns out to be a little disappointing.

Regardless, I look forward to eventually riding it.

I haven't actually experienced Nemesis before though with all the hype surrounding it, I have a bad feeling I may be left slightly underwhelmed.

I am staying positive, though I know what it is like when someone bigs something up and then it turns out to be a little disappointing.

That's okay, stand over there and think about it and let me pass!

Nemesis is still number one for me because of the sheer force of the ride throughout and the constant speed it reaches flying through the helixes and loops and despite getting further through its circuit, the ride feels like its building up speed throughout and the. Suddenly finishing with about enough time to think of the amazing experience that has just finished.

The ride isn't just brilliant in design and flow rate but the way the queue interacts within the ride really helps too how it suddenly travels away from the ride to come closer to it once again and at nearly 20 years old, the ride is still pretty smooth.

In concordance with Matt's post above, Nemesis was hyped like no other before I first rode it. But I was still blown away because I'd never felt such force, intensity and speed from my otherwise very small list of coasters. Even so, I've ridden coasters more than fifteen years younger than Nemesis and still nothing beats her to the punch.

like matt said about sheer force... I have never come across such a smooth and forceful rollercoaster, montu at busch gardens dwarves nemesis in size, actually has a first drop (regardless of how big it is), and it is faster, but it is the compact layout of nemesis that makes it the worlds most intense ride experience! :D

I went to florida back in 2005, and remember overhearing and talking to Americans in my hotel that they want to visit alton towers as it is apparently the best theme park in europe/UK, and that nemesis is the best coaster etc.

I was only 11, but felt so happy that people wanted to go to the park that I was brought up going to :wub:

besides corkscrew as it was 1.2m I remember a year or 2 before my dad forcing me to go on nemesis, and I had napkins stuffed in my shoes to make me tall enough haha, just to make sure I enjoyed the big rides, and meant we would go to florida (didn't know this at the time haha) - I was determined not to go on it, and after a while persuaded me to go on it, loved it so much I wanted to go on again, but the queue was too big by then and he wouldn't queue lol!

• 4 weeks later...