Nemesis

Dan9

• 1 year later...

I genuinely don't think we'll ever see anything quite like again.

Coasters are becoming more technologically advanced and adding elements which would have seemed like pipe dreams 10-15 years ago. But the sheer simplicity of Nemesis, coupled along with its brilliant landscaping, styling and pace makes it just brilliant.

Even with it becoming a bit uncomfortable in its age, it's truly stood the test of time.

• 1 month later...

Just rode Nemesis the other day  and I have to say it was running really well, and both of my rides on it were just after opening so I was pretty blown away how intense it was!

Nemesis maybe 25 years old but it certainly still holds it ground as one of the best rides in the park (and Alton have a pretty respectable lineup)

30 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

Just rode Nemesis the other day day and I have to say it was running really well, and both of my rides on it were just after opening so I was pretty blown away how intense was it!

Nemesis maybe 25 years old but it certainly still holds it ground as one of the best rides in the world (and Alton have a pretty respectable lineup)

I've edited your post for you.

• 2 years later...

Interestingly, Alton Towers have today submitted a planning application "seeking to confirm the lawfulness of maintenance works to the "Nemesis" ride, an existing roller coaster at Alton Towers Resort", according to TowersTimes:

https://www.facebook.com/towerstimes/posts/10159970979863185

Could this be for, or at least relating to, the heavily rumoured Nemesis retrack? And if it is, could it be for the ride's upcoming 30th anniversary in 2024, perhaps?

7 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

More importantly, does this make it a new cred or not? It's not a full on new coaster after all..

Fortunately the precedent was set with Hulk, since that was mostly, but not entirely retracked.

4 hours ago, Glitch said:

Do you think the park plan on marketing it in some form?

I imagine there will be something. It's interesting to note that the plans indicate that pretty much everything else will remain the same: entrance, queue, plaza, station and theming are being retained, with some minor cosmetic work to the station. So this is very much 'Nemesis with new track', rather than "NemesIIs". So difficult to market.

I expect this will take some time though; it's not work I can see them managing in a singular closed season. So push it with 30th anniversary celebrations and a reopening Sub Terra, and there's something there I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It's official now innit. Bit cheeky for Merlin to phrase it like that though, implying that OMG Nemesis is closing 4 good!!111 - either the work experience social media admin did this, or it's done on purpose to get that sweet sweet footfall.

Also - Phalanx... return of Sub Terra confirmed? Or at least "a nod" and eAStEr EGg to Sub Terra.... 
Would be good to have another dark indoor ride back considering Hex seems to have thrown a wobbler all season.

Untitled.png.ac37164abafebaa6ebe21dae39fc877e.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 9:48 AM, MattyMoo said:

It's official now innit. Bit cheeky for Merlin to phrase it like that though, implying that OMG Nemesis is closing 4 good!!111 - either the work experience social media admin did this, or it's done on purpose to get that sweet sweet footfall.

Also - Phalanx... return of Sub Terra confirmed? Or at least "a nod" and eAStEr EGg to Sub Terra.... 
Would be good to have another dark indoor ride back considering Hex seems to have thrown a wobbler all season.

Untitled.png.ac37164abafebaa6ebe21dae39fc877e.png,

You cannot be serious?

?

• 3 weeks later...

It’s surreal that after 28 years of operation today is the final day of the original Nemesis. Are you sad,emotional or looking forward to the upcoming changes? Please share your thoughts below.Even though Nemeses is returning for its 30th Birthday in 2024,it’s a somber realisation that today marks the end of the iconic original Nemesis. I haven’t even ridden Nemesis but I’m emotional. I feel sorry for those that have ridden this Alton Towers classic. This is the second loss Alton Towers has had in as many months. Duel closed a 2 months ago tomorrow. Fortunately both Duel and Nemesis will return in new guises for next season and 2024 respectfully. RIP Nemesis 1994-2022!! The Rollercoaster has  done Alton Towers well for almost 3 decades.

Todays the day. It's weird to feel sad over a rollercoaster (especially one that will be back in 18 months no less), but it's a coaster that has bought so many people together, so much joy and happiness. I've seen the community come together like it hasn't for some time and it's been great to hear all the stories about peoples first time or how Nemesis bought them into the coaster community. 

When it returns it will be the newest rollercoaster in the park, its future secured for decades to come. Seeing John Wardley saying Nemesis will outlive him bought a tear to my eye. Like a lot of our greatest creators, his humble nature will be defined by what he bought to the Tussauds group in the form of unique exciting rollercoasters. And with that he created a ride with such legendary status, it's world renowned for being one of the finest B&M inverts out there. 

2068155055_Screenshot2022-10-28at09_07_54.thumb.png.1935e7327fcdd501b95a3a49edd407e2.png

It's over 20 years since I first rode it and it started me down the slippery slope of coaster enthusiasm. 

I'm not overly bothered about it closing since 1) It's reopening and 2) Personally I'm too busy to visit the park anytime soon.

Ah well, least it'll be around for many many years.

5 hours ago, coasterverse said:

Wonder if they'll keep the Sub-Terra branding when reopening the attraction next year... because we're all agreed that that's what today's 'investigation' and 9pm 'announcement' is going to be, right?

That's my theory... it would be backed up further by the fact that they've blocked off paths near to Sub Terra with "Danger: Hazardous Materials" signs, as per Skyscraper on TowersStreet:

Nemesis-Sub-Terra-Path.jpg

Sourcehttps://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/nemesis-general-discussion.5260/page-101#post-386326

To me, that possibly drops the strongest hint yet that something is likely to be happening with Sub-Terra for next year...

EDIT: False alarm... apparently it was just someone reusing a construction picture from 2011.

Edited by Matt N