Nemesis

Dan9

Mean storyline has always been there in the background. Nowadays they embrace it (whilst ripping off UNIT from Doctor Who) which could work or not. The ride always worked with the vagueness of it all leaving guests to fill in any gaps, but it worked as being creepy alien, big pit, scary coaster.

What happens in the Marketing blurb is unlikely to make any major difference to the ride itself. 

I would think any changes or additions to the story would have little impact on the ride. We know that the station is only getting cosmetic fixes, we know  very little of the ride is changing (only an extra footer and support on the downward helix) so therefore this Phalanax stuff could just be background dressing. The original legend was never pushed at people, only ever marketing fluff.

I wouldn’t want Towers to do things like pre shows or photo shoot rooms. Just leave as be.

The pictures from last night look fabulous. What a send off. I can’t imagine any other U.K. ride bringing so many people together in this way. It really is something special. 

Yeah I mean I didn't mean a storyline for the main ride - the announcement very much sounded like a pre-requisite to another storyline for a seperate attraction (Sub-Terra). A new evil CEO, trying to entice people into entering the Phalanx headquarters for a tour of some kind, only to 'unleash' Nemesis on them to kill them.

I dunno, I'm no theme park storyline designer but that's very much the kind of vibe I'm getting from the announcement.

I can't help but feel sad about Nemesis closing either, even though its reopening. To me everything about the ride/area is perfect. It runs the best it ever has and is the consistently the biggest queue eater on park.

I'm glad merlin have invested in its future, I just hope too much isn't changed and it runs as intensely as it does, the hulk retrack does give me hope.

Sad I couldn't make it over there for one final night ride on Sunday, but I'm glad Towers made a decent effort to give it a good send off and so many people turned up. The atmosphere looked amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

According to a recent interview from John Wardley, the ride will reopen with “greater storytelling” and more special effects and theming:

I’ve got to say that that sounds pretty promising to me! I’ve always felt that Nemesis’ theme could be conveyed more clearly to the first time rider, and that compared to some of the newer themed experiences, it lacks the finer details in places to really help further the storytelling, so I was quite glad to read John’s hint.

I have faith that whatever John is hinting towards will help to enhance the storytelling and make Nemesis’ story clearer as I said above.

Half the thing of Nemesisisisis' story was the vagueness though. Didn't necessarily have to be explained and let the visitor make their own mind up. Subtlety is well out the window these days so guess it'll be full on Phalanx storyline then.

Not entirely sure what effects they could really add to it that would "enhance" things. Red water back would be a plus but beyond that? Nothing that would make a real difference to riders.

Though I think that the only way Merlin would approve such work would be if there was some "plussing" to the attraction. 

As effects go... a 'sorting out of the water' situation would help, to allow them to dye the water red again.

I seem to remember the reason for it not happening anymore was something to do with the dye leaking out in to the water supply externally, and it would be expensive and complex to put it right.  I suppose fixing this could be on the cards?

I wonder if they'll also add some triggered sound effects like they have on the Swarm? Would be cool to hear Nemesis roar as the train inverts over the station, a bit like the Swarm did from the bell tower.

Or perhaps on ride audio? 🤔

In all honesty though I think I'd most like to see the station darkened a little (maybe partially enclose the turn in to the lift and the brake run), and create a great dispatch sequence.  Love a good dramatic dispatch 😆

Things I might like to see:

More dramatic dispatch sequence- lights change, theme music, nemesis voice 

return of the red waterfall, through revised system to stop the leaking problem 

train lights 

homage to the original track 

That is all. No silly pre-show because that would just ruin the throughput and not really add to the experience.

Personally I’ve never been sure whether I liked Nemesis’ theming or not. Like the landscaping, soundtrack and vague storyline are pretty solid but to me it’s always felt a bit abandoned.

I know some people like that and that’s fine by me, but it kind of makes the ride almost a bit lifeless (until you actually get on it of course). Also in the past when I’ve taken friends to towers they’ve not been too keen on the abandoned theming and I understand why. Especially the unused overgrown queue line extension before the station, that looks awful imo and I hope they do something about that.

Improvements wise, I’d quite like them to add more in the queue line (like TVs, effects, lighting, short enclosed sections, etc.). Just more moving effects in general I guess to make it feel more alive. I also like the idea someone said of enclosing the station maybe. I also quite like the idea of following it on from sub-terra (if that reopens) and keeping the staff with Phalanx uniform.

I do agree with the point about not including a pre show though. I think whatever improvements they make shouldn’t affect operations or staff numbers.

I found I always had to explain to the people I was with what the theme was, as usually friends would ride it and say afterwards they had no clue what the theme was and ask me to explain lol. It was the same for inferno at Thorpe. 

I personally like thought-out theming, so I would like the use of screens, effects, props etc in the queue line. The red river would be ideal, if it cant be dyed then perhaps steam effects or some sort of lighting could work instead. No need to reinvent the wheel though.

I agree I'm less keen on a full on pre-show if its not optional. Having said that, the swarm's screens seem to be broken or at least not on most of the time so I would say if they go down the screen route, to make sure its not like they work for 6 months then are off forever more.

6 minutes ago, jessica2 said:

I found I always had to explain to the people I was with what the theme was, as usually friends would ride it and say afterwards they had no clue what the theme was and ask me to explain lol. It was the same for inferno at Thorpe. 

I personally like thought-out theming, so I would like the use of screens, effects, props etc in the queue line. The red river would be ideal, if it cant be dyed then perhaps steam effects or some sort of lighting could work instead. No need to reinvent the wheel though.

I agree I'm less keen on a full on pre-show if its not optional. Having said that, the swarm's screens seem to be broken or at least not on most of the time so I would say if they go down the screen route, to make sure its not like they work for 6 months then are off forever more.

I agree with this, Nemi seemed just a bit theme bland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...