Nemesis

Dan9

When I went to Alton Towers on the 16th and 17th I was queueing for Nemesis just after the Fastrack merge point but before entering the station near the turn and loop there was an extended queue but the gates had been welded to the fence and I was just wandering if anyone knew when and why it was closed and where it used to go.Thanks

It used to go up and around by the stall turn after the Zero G Roll, apparently you got some fantastic angles from that queue. Basically the ride was so popular when it first opened regularly getting queue's of 3 hours that they ended up adding extra queueing areas, obviously nowadays the ride doesn't pull quite the same queue's so a lot of them aren't needed and it just fell into disrepair really. I remember seeing some pictures of the ride taken from that queue but can't find them. Personally I would love for them to open it back up again as I'd rather queue there than in the wooden area near the first drop/lift. Although I doubt it considering how rusty the fences are and also how many weeds are in the path.Posted ImageYou can see the disused queue in the background of that pic. Thanks TT for the image.

There have been discussions to reopen part of that queue, and they have cleared out the queue ready. That extention closed when they were constructing air, as the queue disappears into airs ride area now, whereas originally it went into the woods and back down.

I would not imagine that part of the old Nemesis queue will re-open - as Fastrack merges prior to it. The main reason it was closed off and has remained so, is because if it was in use it would add 10 or so minutes to the queue time and this would not go down well with Fastrack ticket holders.Nemesis' queue also used to have even more to it. As you enter the existing queue to go left and up the bank, you would immediately go left (across what is now an access road). There was a small tunnel (which remains, covered in ivy etc.) and it would head round, and back to join the existing queue. Some of this old queue formed part of the Dynamo queue line but obviously Dynamo closed several years ago. With all areas full, Nemesis would have had enough queue line to hold in excess of three hours queue. Today, on the majority of days they only use Areas 1 & 2 which has enough queue for around a 1 hour wait, although Area 3 was open just last Saturday which goes around by the loop offering great views of the ride. The original Nemesis logo, which was removed from the bridge a couple of years ago is now located in Area 3 for those wanting a bit of nostalgia, too!:unsure:

The reason for extending area one was so on the small and medium days when they have 25min queues, they can have just area one open, rather than having area two open but the queue barely at the vending machines which happens oh so often. The extention would only add a maximum 5mins to the queue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although, actually, this weekend, Th13teen is now equalling it and at times even beating it... !! :

HAH!Sorry... But no... Very few rides can even be placed near Nemesis, and Thirteen is NOT one of them... A good family coaster, but nothing special...Yeah, don't be like Keith... :D

Yeah, don't be like Keith...

LOL!But no really, I loved Th13teen. As amazing as Nemesis is, Th13teen just offers something different, it's such great fun with a great drop and then backwards section after it. Like I say, I don't know what it is, but I love Th13teen... and so did EVERY single person I saw getting off it this weekend. If I had a penny for everytime I heard "That... Was... Amazing" ... The GP are eating it up, and now is when I think this conversation should mvoe to the Th13teen topic :D

Oddly, the main car park was full and much of the Air car park was too on Sunday, yet queue's after around 2pm seemed to really die down - possibly people leaving to watch the match.21 rides on Nemesis is too much for me though, I can handle 8 or so in a day but the intensity and general looping make me feel ill if I ride too much more.

Who got on this 21 times today?

I think I would be sick! :PNemesis is such an epic ride with all its theming. Never get bored of it!Even a long queue for it goes quick and that is rare for me to say that!

I guess I'm the equivalent of Keith for Vampire! :P

I have done 26 :P

Yeah, don't be like Keith... :P

We all look for different things in rides Benin so hush your gums :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/mar/12/how-we-made-nemesisI see this hasn't been posted on here today. It's a short, interesting article about the creation of Nemesis in the words of John Wardley and Candy Holland. It seems as though Alton are bringing the story of Nemesis back into the minds of the public to make it easier to link Sub-Terra to the attraction. Neat!