Park Music

humjosh

All rides played correct music, Colossus still high pitched and Stealth area slightly high pitched.

Does this include Vortex and Lost City's ambiance music as well? Really hope it has returned like it did for a brief period in early April...

I'm pretty sure the high pitched audio can be fixed because it was fixed around Tidal Wave and Canada Creek this year. It's probably just a case of Thorpe being bothered to actually fix it as they might not see it as a big issue at this moment. Either way, it shouldn't be there and should be fixed, especially after being there for over 1.5 years.

Also, is Saw's queue line ambiance still dead silent?

• 1 month later...

I've noticed a few changes to the parks audio system so far today as well as some updates:

1) On Slammer, I've noticed that the music and its safety announcements have changed slightly.

When the ride was in motion before, the track cut off mid-ride because Slammer now takes a lot longer to raise to the top. Now, Thorpe have extended the track by almost another minute by adding segments in between the raising and lowering parts, whilst the main track plays when the ride is being throttled.

Also, when the ride used to end, it went "Your frame with Slammer has now come to an end. When the restraints have released, please leave your seats and exit--" and cut off from that point. Now, it continues with "--and exit to the far side". Its essentially the old and new ending announcements put together. Good to see they've fixed it finally!

2) X's dome speakers are really loud now. Before, their were played at a moderate level but its now loud and they produce a lot of bass! They could be turned up a little more, but for now, they're certainly a lot louder than what they were at the beginning of the year.

Also, the dead sections of the indoor queue line for X have been fixed, including where the really loud one at the end of the corridor is. Plus, the zigzag section just before the station has the rides music playing in there now with a new speaker.

(X also has a few new lighting changes near the station too.)

3) Vortex and Lost City's music are back again. :) However, Vortex was very quiet for some reason...

4) Tidal Wave's queue is now silent.

5) Saw's queuline speakers are STILL dead...

6) Nemesis Inferno has some new tropical forest sound effects in the main queueline with rain/water-like effects (behind the queue line shop). Also, its old theme music is playing at the entrance again.

7) The Noise is only playing at the entrance, bridge, dome and Neptune's Beach. (Keep it like this Thorpe!)

8 ) Rush is finally using its queue speakers at last for its music, however, they're a little quiet to hear.

9) Colossus, Lost City and Amity Cove are still high pitched. (Please sort it Thorpe.)

Overall, happy to see Thorpe making these little changes, but there's still a few other parts of the park that still need work.

This is great news and it shows that they actually making improvements, I'm very happy they've sorted X now!!

It's such a shame about Tidal Wave and Saw's queueline speakers though. The atmosphere is not the same when they're switched off. That said though, maybe they'll get around to it. They seem to be gradually sorting the little things out this year.

As mentioned earlier about Slammer having it's track changed due to the fact it takes longer to raise to the top and lower to the bottom, here's a recording I made of the extended track with added segments in-between Thorpe have made recently:

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/yyykc4kto0e14az/Slammer_-_Fixed_Audio_%2B_Announcements.m4a

(Apologies for the audio moving from one speaker to the other, as my phone has stereo mics in it!)

The new and changed parts are at the following points:

. Between 0:41 and 1:11 - Added music.

. Between 2:42 and 3:11 - Added music.

. From 3:12 onwards - Fixed safety announcements.

Happy to see little adjustments like this being made! :)

I'm sure the majority of Thorpe's target audience would prefer listening to chart music when queuing for a while over repetitive theme music that doesn't help pass time in any way at all :blush:

I don't think so. Certainly, there are many people now who visit Thorpe Park purely for the rides themselves with no particular interest in theming or atmosphere (particularly with the newer marketing style introduced by Merlin), but I doubt that this represents a 'majority' who 'prefer listening to chart music'. I do agree that most visitors probably wouldn't choose to listen to themed audio when not at the park, but not that this is strong enough cause to simply forego this element of the experience entirely - especially if only to be replaced with music that is generic and ultimately irrelevant.

If Thorpe Park is to be considered a theme park at all, it would surely be contradictory to compromise the intended ambience of its attractions so that visitors 'pass the time': I appreciate that Thorpe Park is not a profound sensory experience, of course, but this doesn't mean dismissing prominent and effective design features. Realistically, passing the time should have nothing to do with it as, after all, it's supposed to be a place of fantasy and escapism. Introducing regular chart music doesn't resolve any issues of queueline boredom - nor does it rejuvenate old areas - it merely acts as a hinderance to what could and should otherwise occupy its place in an otherwise crafted environment.

• 3 weeks later...

Was very impressed with the park music yesterday! Here are the changes I noticed:

Saw indoor queue audio back

Stealth's out of sync speaker fixed

Colossus not telling you that the gates are about to close in the queue line plus not as high pitched

Amity Cove seemed less high pitch

Vortex and Quantum using Mutant Racers theme slightly for every cycle plus there usual music

The Noise seems to have more variety in songs and is being updated to the latest music

Now all we need is Saw's queue line audio and we're all good :)

Saw queueline music was off today- however the rest of sound effects were working in the park. We did get a bit annoyed however because during queueing for nemesis inferno, vortex, quantum and rush every 5 minutes the same announcement went off about their season pass. All park sound effects were turned off for the same announcement, it was pretty annoying!

Just like to say thanks to the staff today, most of them were AMAZING and the ones on nemesis inferno, vortex and zodiac were favourites! They were friendly, interacted with you and played awesome music by THE NOISE!!! Nemesis inferno was in a bit of a rage situation after 5ish and with only a 5 minute queue it was really awesome! Music on vortex was also great to and I would like to say a big thanks for Steve in the operating booth for making our ride such an awesome one! Thanks! I have a couple more comments on today but I will post them in park ops because they aren't to do with the music :)

• 4 weeks later...

Visited yesterday, was once again impressed with my visit to the park.

Things I picked up on with various audio/visuals:

- Saw queueline music is still off, police siren sound effect has appeared outside the ride though.

- Some speakers in Amity Cove appear to be broken, I think the telegraph pole by Storm Surge.

- WWTP radio Stealth side was switched off due to the 'silent disco', fun for Stealth queuers, not so fun the the rest of the area which was in total silence.

- Colossus is still playing the station announcement in the queueline, it was even playing sometimes when the ride wasn't even dispatching.

- Nemesis Inferno's station was playing nice and loud, which was good to hear.

- the Swarm's queueline had about one TV on.

Altogether a great day, can't wait to go again!

Looks like park music may be interrupted more often with birthday shoutouts. A guest asked the following on FB: "is there anyway I can get some sort of shout out done for her over the P.A. system if you have one?"

Then TP replied with this: "Great minds! We're just making arrangements for this very thing...could you email tpsocial.media@thorpe-park.co.uk with the details!"

Or maybe this feature will be restricted to the areas with The Noise playing? Anyone know more?