Park Music

humjosh

On 06/04/2017 at 7:55 AM, Benin said:

Paultons redid their entrance a few years back, sure many other parks have done the same...

Sure with proper planning and thinking redoing the entrance plaza would be doable in a few months, then the year after you do the bridge...

What's happening in Kent has nothing to do with Thorpe's non-refurb of their awful entrance area...

Of course kent has nothing to do with Thorpe, but how it shows how much planning goes back and forth, local area, environment, other companies around the area. as for the build, its not something that would take a few months 

On 07/04/2017 at 10:41 AM, Wumbamillio said:

You're not wrong, but I study construction planning & strategy and know how much of a task it is, from what I understand I'm sure it could be largely done in 4 months.  Planning permission would obviously be done way in advance, in fact I'm sure Thorpe Park have outlined their entrance redevelopment proposal to the council in the past? (but its never gone ahead) Part of the task would be to find solutions to minimise operational impact over winter and alternative access, (which ought to be available anyway in the case of a bridge closure). It's perfectly possible and no different to many similar projects that happen all the time. :) 

Merlin could easily afford it and they construct all the time at lightning fast speed whenever they send up a new hotel. Independent owners abroad of a similar scale to Thorpe Park construct like this often. Merlin, one of the biggest & richest attraction operators in the world, simply don't spend the money because they'd rather recycle the inadequate entrance from the 80s, from when it was a much smaller park.

The Kent thing is an entirely new corporate development on a new site and of a totally different nature, the reason that is taking so long would not solely be due to planning either but a whole number of things. Building a new entrance would take no time at all.

All you have to do is look at the massive hotels Merlin builds every year, the speed at which they get designed, green-lit and constructed around the world. If it's in their company interest, they'll do it easily. But they dont see properly renovating their aging theme park infrastructure as their priority 90% the time. Just add some wood cladding, IMAscore, etc. 'Job done'

4 months, possibly. merlin can whip up a new building easy, because there's nothing in it's way. An existing building tends to have infrastructure running through them supporting other buildings, services, and then you also have local residents and restrictions on movement over areas of the park. So moving staff to go via another route may not be possible. Then you have other events happening during the close season. Knocking it down and starting from scratch would be a huge feat, and personally I can't ever see it happening anytime soon, definitely when theres little wrong with the building. 

As for green lit quickly, each area, country has it's own restriction, some can deal with builds quicker than others

2 hours ago, ProudToServe said:

Of course kent has nothing to do with Thorpe, but how it shows how much planning goes back and forth, local area, environment, other companies around the area. as for the build, its not something that would take a few months 

I am not suggesting construction planning takes "a few months", I meant by my comment that Kent was so incomparable to Thorpe Park redeveloping their entrance because the years of planning needs to come from the corporate side and the business interest moving in and out, including working with the planners during this process, whereas the actual council planning process does not as long as you suggest. No comparable on the scale to Thorpe Park building a new entrance.

4 months, possibly. merlin can whip up a new building easy, because there's nothing in it's way. An existing building tends to have infrastructure running through them supporting other buildings, services, and then you also have local residents and restrictions on movement over areas of the park. So moving staff to go via another route may not be possible. Then you have other events happening during the close season. Knocking it down and starting from scratch would be a huge feat, and personally I can't ever see it happening anytime soon, definitely when theres little wrong with the building. 

Again these are all just standard construction situations that get considered with any project. If the things you highlight are such a "huge feat" then how were they able to submit and construction Derren Brown within just a year or two, right in the middle of the park requiring lots of excavation into a brown field site, or Chessington's Azteca hotel costing millions of pounds but being green lit with ease - or Legoland's new hotel for which the park's core vehicle access route had to be severed and vital underground infrastructure carefully avoided . It's perfectly possible if the company sees that it will make them money.

By "green lit" I meant Merlin approving a plan, instead of cancelling plans like they do year on year. There had been plans to rebuild the entrance before I recall, but as always - it got denied by Merlin's senior board because, well, the other option was to just not bother and save all that money. I don't feel like encouraging this kind of practice, because it happens all the time.

There's a lot wrong with Thorpe Park's entrance, for a theme park run by such a large company. Take a look at other amazing park entrances around Europe, at parks run by companies not a fraction of the size of Merlin. Not only do they look great, but they are the right size, have good facilities for guests and staff, efficient, and have no shoddy temporary fencing in sight. Thorpe Park is still using its basic infrastructure from when it was a small water sports park and exhibition in the 70s - 80s. Really, and their solution is to paint it blue, add wood, add a big screen and this music like it's the greatest sight you will ever see. Also the bridge is a terrible piece of infrastructure for what it now has to serve too, it can't keep going forever.

Its absolutely possible, not a simple job by any means, but no obstacle stands in their way on developments like this except for their own capital expenditure policies.

• 2 weeks later...

This was playing Monday when the park shut, I tell you what in the sun with the park empty it was so peaceful with this tune playing! I absolutely love the new soundtracks they've got and the whole spruce up of the park is really noticeable, everything felt so much cleaner and the island theme is really starting to become stronger which is great to see! I recorded this when I was leaving, such a peaceful tropical house track?

IMG_4895.MOV

• 2 months later...

Glad it's changed as it became very repetitive quite quickly and was essentially Colossus' station audio with added jungle sound effects. Hopefully this newer version has a much longer and less repetitve loop. Will be interesting to see if other areas (not rides) of the park get a similar treatment to this.

Equally glad Colossus has stayed too as that is one which should never change, no matter the circumstance.

Whilst we are on the topics of IMAscore, new audio and recordings being made, here's a snippet of one some may be after:

250317_full_edited.mp3

1 hour ago, ThemeParkCrafter said:

What is that soundtrack for? I can't tell what it is for

Its DBGT 

Whilst still on the subject of IMAscore, someone jokily tweeted Thorpe asking if they could send him the new Lost City loop, to which they responded 'Not at the mo, but watch this space'. 

If there's not going to be some form of release of the new music, I am truly baffled..

49 minutes ago, MilesK said:

Its DBGT 

Whilst still on the subject of IMAscore, someone jokily tweeted Thorpe asking if they could send him the new Lost City loop, to which they responded 'Not at the mo, but watch this space'. 

If there's not going to be some form of release of the new music, I am truly baffled..

I hope so - I wonder if they are waiting till there's enough to justify a cd of some type - they could do a merlin one I wouldn't say no to the galatica track!

Some of the new imascore stuff in this video 

Got round to visiting Thorpe today having a listen to the new audio for Lost City, and I can tell you, it's miles better than previous.

The ambience track that has been used for many years to me just felt dull, stale and repetitive, and the added use of jungle noises which were far too loud to sound genuine just got on my nerves very quickly. You can hear it when riding Colossus in the station, so it always felt odd they would just feed it to an entire area of the park with 4 flat rides additionally.

But now, it's all gone. Gone completely. It has instead been replaced with an 8:20 minute track made by IMAscore with it's own unique theme, as well as familiar and newer ones remixed together. Vortex's theme has been placed into the track, which is the section played when the ride begins to slow down and the new entrance tune has been included too. It's similar to Galactica, Smiler and Spinball where ITHOTMK has subtly been added in.

Even though the recording Marc posted the other day has the frustrating jungle sound effects still there, I can only assume that must have been during either a test of the new audio, or the older one was still in the process of being phased out, because it is no longer present, thankfully.

Also, I'm pretty sure IAC's speakers were playing new audio too from IMAscore, but I could be wrong. It didn't sound anywhere near as good as Lost City to me. This newer version is great, even if it does sound a little similar to other IMAscore tracks.

Here's another snippet of the track today:

010717_lc_snip.mp3

Those letters underlined are there for a reason. Look closer.