Park Music

humjosh

18 minutes ago, TP-Fan said:

Yeah, its fine for now but I like to see replaced for the 2018 season! I miss WWTP blasting around Tidal it created a fantastic atmosphere, especially on a hot day.

TBF I've not been into the Tidal Wave queue for some time so no idea how that is - the "area" around Tidal's speakers on the telegraph poles seem to work still.

Another thing I noticed yesterday was the Saw Plaza music has been turned up a lot - was much better! Good to hear audios been added to the Megastore too!

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

TBF I've not been into the Tidal Wave queue for some time so no idea how that is - the "area" around Tidal's speakers on the telegraph poles seem to work still.

Another thing I noticed yesterday was the Saw Plaza music has been turned up a lot - was much better!

Last time I queued around a month ago there were only around 3 or 4 speakers working, all along one same part of the queue towards the middle section. I'm sure they are aware and will work on it now there is a dedicated, passionate team and time being spent on things like this.

7 minutes ago, Marc said:

The speakers on the poles mostly work. The problem is that when they are being used at a decent volume (which they were for most of last season) they sound terrible and distorted, this could be why it's so quite this season. 

42 minutes ago, TP-Fan said:

I would like to see both Stealths and Tidal/Amity Beach speakers get replaced with the EV Evid speakers the park has been using lately. They sound much better than the Bose Freespace 51's currently used in the queue and they can output a level similar to what the 802's are capable of.

I have to disagree with this. The Bose ones used currently across many rides in the park such as Colossus, Inferno and Stealth sound fine when they are working properly. They offer a 360 degree sound system and are designed to withstand the harshest of climate conditions, which is why many of them still work today. They also have their advantage of not needing to be attached to walls, or in Storm Surge's case to a wooden stick in the ground.

Ghost Train I believe uses these new EV Evid speakers all over the queue and frankly, they sound nowhere near as sharp and as powerful as the Bose ones used say in Lost City for example. You only have to listen to the soundtrack through decent headphones to know how lackluster they are.

To me, fitting new speakers across the park should only be a last resort if the existing ones are genuinely broken. In most cases, this is more likely not the case, just like Saw yesterday revealed.

5 minutes ago, Martin.C said:

I have to disagree with this. The Bose ones used currently across many rides in the park such as Colossus, Inferno and Stealth sound fine when they are working properly. They offer a 360 degree sound system and are designed to withstand the harshest of climate conditions, which is why many of them still work today. They also have their advantage of not needing to be attached to walls, or in Storm Surge's case to a wooden stick in the ground.

Ghost Train I believe uses these new EV Evid speakers all over the queue and frankly, they sound nowhere near as sharp and as powerful as the Bose ones used say in Lost City for example. You only have to listen to the soundtrack through decent headphones to know how lackluster they are.

To me, fitting new speakers across the park should only be a last resort if the existing ones are genuinely broken. In most cases, this is more likely not the case, just like Saw yesterday revealed.

I agree that Bose can sound better when configured properly and when Bose amplifiers are used. 

The problem is that EV Evids sound better at lower volume (I think the new ones in Bush BBQ sound fantastic) Bose sound better at high volume (that's why SAW and Inferno sound so good).

Another thing I've found to be better with EV's is how long they last outdoors. 

If Thorpe installed the Bose set ups correctly in the first place, didn't attempt to fiddle with them, ran them at a sensible volume and did very basic maintenance then I'm almost certain most of them would still be going strong to this day.

I wonder if the new cheaper looking speakers (which I don't think sound as good as the Bose ones) are used now completely for cost saving or have Bose and Merlin had a bit of a falling out in the past. 

1 hour ago, Mega-Lite said:

If Thorpe installed the Bose set ups correctly in the first place, didn't attempt to fiddle with them, ran them at a sensible volume and did very basic maintenance then I'm almost certain most of them would still be going strong to this day.

I wonder if the new cheaper looking speakers (which I don't think sound as good as the Bose ones) are used now completely for cost saving or have Bose and Merlin had a bit of a falling out in the past. 

From what I understand Tussauds signed a deal with Bose which got them discount on their equipment. It ended at the end of the 2013 season.

The last major ride to use a Bose sound system was The Smiler. 

Since, each park has decided to chose their own speakers.

Chrssington mostly uses Yamaha but occasionally uses JBL

Alton Towers uses OHM for larger scale projects (such as the Hex refurbishment and Cebebies Land + Hotel) and QSC for smaller projects (such as the new audio around path's).

LEGOLAND actually still uses Bose as far as I'm aware

Thorpe uses EV speakers for everything 2014+

1 hour ago, Mega-Lite said:

https://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/articles/20-07-2017/Show+Services+Q+and+A

if you've not seen it this is a good read - park wide sound is now maintained by the show services department and I'm sure we will continue to see improvements. [/plug]

TBF I think a lot of the original Bose systems are still going strong - Colossus / Inferno still sound good and they are 14/15 years old now!

1 minute ago, Marc said:

https://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/articles/20-07-2017/Show+Services+Q+and+A

if you've not seen it this is a good read - park wide sound is now maintained by the show services department and I'm sure we will continue to see improvements.

TBF I think a lot of the original Bose systems are still going strong - Colossus / Inferno still sound good and they are 14/15 years old now!

Older Bose equipment is fantastic. The newer stuff isn't. That's why Storm Surges original speakers (that were Bose) had to be replaced.

On 24/07/2017 at 10:03 PM, TP-Fan said:

Chrssington mostly uses Yamaha but occasionally uses JBL

Alton Towers uses OHM for larger scale projects (such as the Hex refurbishment and Cebebies Land + Hotel) and QSC for smaller projects (such as the new audio around path's).

LEGOLAND actually still uses Bose as far as I'm aware

Legoland uses a mix because different AV contractors used their own preferences over the last couple years, new Bose ones here and Void ones there...

The Yamaha ones at Chessington replacing some of the Bose speakers is very suspicious, eg Tomb Blaster entrance - the Bose ones seemingly worked fine and are much better than the replacements, sold off to make profit at a cost to the quality of guest experience?

I think Alton Towers use Ohm because that's the preference of the Ents department there, who do the equivalent of Thorpe Park's show services now. The new background ambient areas are Ohm too I fink.

There's no one golden speaker brand, it depends on how much the parks are willing to spend on quality, but some brands will be better than others. I'm always being told that replacing whole Bose speaker areas with this brand or that brand is going to instantly improve the sound quality - it's not that simple. And with permanent outdoor speakers for theme parks, you're never going to get stunning sound quality if its loud music playing.

Whilst it's good to finally see the announcement from previous discarded, having a faint voice over announcement with an American accent alongside a heartbeat similar to Kanonen when leaving the station is no better.

Anything wrong with using the original one once again or is that asking too much?

1 hour ago, Inferno said:

"The end is here. It's time. Heads back and brace yourself. Nothing can stop the Swarm."

Is it an American accent?

or is it Scottish? 

A bit of an anticlimax considering this is supposed to be the apocalypse...

Where's the sense of panic, urgency, suspense?

Where's the imagination!

Surely it's more imaginative than "place your heads back and brace your selves" as it previously had?!

Queued for the Swarm yesterday and the new announcement drove me insane. It's annoying. With something like Saw, I understand why they have US-accented announcements, as it's an American franchise. But jeez, that guy repeating 'tHe SwAaAaAaRm!!!¡1!' every thirty seconds just became somewhat of a joke between our group. It's completely over the top.

But why wasnt this obvious to whoever made it in the first place? It feels like a have-a-go cliche. Just weird why these things don't occur to people who make them, presumably because they dont actually queue ages for the ride themselves as a guest or stand listening to it every 30 seconds as staff. Oh well! If they MUST have a brace yourself announcement then better to have it themed somehow.

The Swarm station will always suffer from a lack of drama or dead atmosphere though from the very un-churchy boxiness and no roof, thanks to cutting corners on building regulations.