Park Music

humjosh

6 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

>People moan that there's an American announcement for a coaster with a story set in Britain.

>People don't moan that a coaster with a story set in a theme park has a station themed to a church.

Good to see consistency in people's logic... 

I don't exactly understand any issues with the station having a theme of a church. Please explain

Can we moan that the church still has SUCH a missed opportunity in terms of actually creating an atmosphere?

The 'story' for Swarm, much like most things done by Merlin, is incredibly half baked and full of numerous concepts and ideas each vying for attention... Rather than a sense of consistency...

8 minutes ago, TPC said:

I don't exactly understand any issues with the station having a theme of a church. Please explain

The Swarm is set AT Thorpe Park.  It is essentially about an alien race invading the park.  Yet the station is a church, a building you would rarely see at a theme park.  That's surely a bigger issue than an American accent?

NB:  I have no problem with the church, I find the whole idea / context brilliant.  The big issue is how they thought 'let's set it at the park to try and make it relatable'.

I always felt that it is set at 'Thorpe'. It's not necessarily a theme park in the context of the ride, but a place. Does anything within the theme suggest 'Thorpe' is a theme park? It's situated separate enough from the rest of the park to work for me, I don't think that's any leap greater than 'it's a gold mine', or 'it's a canyon' when the wider surroundings suggest otherwise. 

It's patently not set in America though!

Quite honestly- The theming on The Swarm is great, okay its not perfect, but its perhaps the best themed area of the park.

I really couldn't give a sh*t whether the announcement has a slight american accent, or whether the station is a Church.

Anyway most themes on rides aren't meant to be taken 100% seriously, I think that is slightly over-thinking it..

I probably won't notice the new announcement during my visit tomorrow, though if a slight american accent bothers you.. More power to you!

8 hours ago, pluk said:

I always felt that it is set at 'Thorpe'. It's not necessarily a theme park in the context of the ride, but a place. Does anything within the theme suggest 'Thorpe' is a theme park? It's situated separate enough from the rest of the park to work for me, I don't think that's any leap greater than 'it's a gold mine', or 'it's a canyon' when the wider surroundings suggest otherwise. 

It's patently not set in America though!

The videos in the queue constantly refer to Thorpe Park.  

'There's been an explosion at Thorpe Park, a Surrey-based theme park'

'We now have a resident from Penton Park on the phone, which is just opposite the park'

'We now go to our correspondent live from the park'

You can totally rely on suspension of disbelief to gloss over it.  Especially since the idea is more 'The Swarm are attacking everything that is seen as safe' and the videos were an afterthought.  As far as I'm concerned though, if you can gloss over that, you can gloss over the fact it's an American accent (even if it sounds very grating).

2 hours ago, BaronC. said:

The videos in the queue constantly refer to Thorpe Park.  

Fair enough. I don't remember the last time I saw the queue line video working (I've not been this year).

That I've never really thought about it shows that the theme works as a whole I suppose.

On 29/07/2017 at 7:01 PM, Mattgwise said:

Hmmm. Better than before but swarm island is set in Britain! 

Details details...!

Are the queue line TV's working again does anyone know? Be a shame for all that production of a rolling news channel - which was genuinely impressive - go to waste.

2 hours ago, Benin said:

But Tidal Wave is in a 1960s American themed area, ergo they are cannot be the same church... Completely illogical jump to conclusions!

Whether its American or not is not the point. Nobody said it was the same church, the point was that churches would be found in THORPE PARK, be it as theming or part of a story. 

Nothing illogical here. 

Back on topic, park music. 

The new IMAscore Lost City music has been extended and is now playing in the Colossus queue line and area. I do not know whether the station music has also been replaced but the queue was definitely playing the new loop and it was definitely longer than the one playing on my last visit.

EDIT - Marc beat me to it :P

I'll start off by saying I'm reserving full judgement until hearing the extended version of Lost City's audio playing on Colossus now, BUT...

Out of all the attractions that should receive an audio makeover this year, Colossus should be right at the very bottom of that list along with Nemesis Inferno. I understand they are trying to merge Colossus better with the rest of the other rides in Lost City by playing the same audio, but to take away what many would regard the defining music of Thorpe Park as a whole and to give the ride less of a unique, dominant and intimidating feel to what it was before? That does not sit right by me.

That's like taking away The Smiler's theme and replacing the whole ride with The Sanctuary's theme instead, or worse, Nemesis being changed for good (not temporarily like in 2007) if that day ever dares to arrive.

As I said, full judgement will be reserved until I hear it, but it's sad to know Alton's Corkscrew of Thorpe Park; the ride which started it all; the ride which put Thorpe on the map; the ride which Thorpe said they wouldn't change back in March is now likely never going to sound the same again.