Park Music

humjosh

1 minute ago, TPC said:

I love the soundtracks but still an quite annoyed it's not at all the full versions. The main reason I bought the CD was to listen to the full tracks, rather than listen to a shorter version. A pop singers CD would contain all of every song, rather than just the chorus, so why should a theme park cd be any different?

I would assume it’s to keep the CD reasonably priced, more appealing and accessible by not being multiple discs. I would be totally open to pay more for a deluxe edition with longer tracks.

1 hour ago, TPC said:

I love the soundtracks but still an quite annoyed it's not at all the full versions. The main reason I bought the CD was to listen to the full tracks, rather than listen to a shorter version. A pop singers CD would contain all of every song, rather than just the chorus, so why should a theme park cd be any different?

Pop singers don't release 30min songs, so a very invalid comparison .

Seeing as you can only get 74 mins of audio per CD, adding the full length tracks would be costly and lots of CDs. There are a few tracks that are from the same area, like the dome, so you won't be far off the full length track. If you want to hear the full length tracks, head to the park. As that is where they're intended to be heard.

I agree the full tracks are designed to be played at the park for variety and ambience. Having songs on loop every 5 mins would be very repetitive! The Soundtrack is a condensed form to fit on 2 CD’s and make the tracks a more conventional size for listening to in one go. I believe they still contain all the elements of the longer tracks.

Probably in the minority view here by saying I actually prefer listening to the tracks as they have been edited together on the discs as opposed to hearing the full versions and here's why:

• Tracks such as the Entrance, Port & Basecamp, Fright Nights, The Jungle and DBGT are each somewhere I'm certain in the 30-minute range and all of them have sections which I like to call "filler areas". These areas sound as though they are used as transitions between some key melodies and sections and don't sound anywhere near as interesting compared to the extracted parts we have on the discs. For example, take a look at the Port & Basecamp tracks on the disc. There are 6 altogether totalling in at around 17 minutes, which means approximately 13 minutes of audio has not been included on the disc for this area. It is likely these are "filler sections" to help transition each of those 6 tracks together into one big version without any noticeable pauses or silent sections present.

• If I were to have a single 30-minute file to listen to, what if I want to scrub to a point I like the sound of when listening to it? How do I know whereabouts in the track I need to be in order to find it other than guessing or remembering a certain point? Having a long track split into several smaller ones makes it much quicker and more convenient to find the moment I am after when I'm either listening or editing a video for example.

• Something I really like a lot with some of the tracks is they have been remixed together in a way which sounds better compared to hearing them at the park itself, the perfect example being Big Top's theme. The version on the disc has clearly been remixed to include all the variations played inside the maze into one file and honestly, I love it! Works much better to have just one file with all the variations put together into one, as opposed to having at least 3 separate versions of the same 2.5 minute melody.

Also, I don't know why people are surprised the full versions are not on this disc, because if you look at every single album IMAscore has made (minus Kärnan), not a single one of them features the full versions used for their respective attractions. Not one. The Klugheim and Chiapas albums don't have all their audio on them, nor does Heide Park, nor does Liseberg, nor does Magic Valley etc.

As things stand as an enthusiast, of course I would love to hear every one of these tracks fully, but I'm just glad we've managed to get something out of this audio changeover more than anything as I thought it would never happen. Heck, people are still waiting for more of The Smiler's 75-minute audio and it's been nearly 5 years of waiting so far! So I'm thrilled with what we have and hope Alton Towers are next to follow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

For quite a few years only one section has worked. I think it's literally about 3 speakers

Sounds to me like the main amplifier is dead as all the speakers are still in place. Hopefully this will get fixed with the park's recent audio improvements

On 13/04/2018 at 5:47 PM, Coaster said:

Are show services still around at Thorpe, out of interest?

https://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/articles/20-07-2017/Show+Services+Q+and+A

Would be good to see Tidal's audio system restored.

Since you ask, we might as well be honest and tell you ... sadly, no, not the Show Services team of 2016-17.

TP-Fan, if you think one amplifier powered Tidal Wave, you’re a hoot. Tidal’s audio system is in dire need of refurbishment and as with all of the original installs, it’s an absolute nightmare.

7 hours ago, WWTPRadio said:

TP-Fan, if you think one amplifier powered Tidal Wave, you’re a hoot. Tidal’s audio system is in dire need of refurbishment and as with all of the original installs, it’s an absolute nightmare.

Colossus and NI must also be on the list for refurbishment, although most of Inferno's speakers and amplifiers work (except the speakers in the top section of the queue)

I already knew that Tidal Wave would have more than one amplifier. I thought as the queue line speakers are probably on a 100v line system, one or two amplifers would serve the entire area.

Also, does this mean that the speakers in the transformers around Amity Cove are all from 2000? I'm surprised that they usually work very well, especially for their age.

2 hours ago, TP-Fan said:

Also, does this mean that the speakers in the transformers around Amity Cove are all from 2000? I'm surprised that they usually work very well, especially for their age.

They were all repaired before the opening of 2017 season. Their current state, who knows now. The 2016-2017 SS team had plans to continue the repairs to the park wide audio during 2018. Let's hope the new team will have the drive to keep on top of it. 

• 1 month later...

R.I.P Nemesis Inferno's 2003 Theme......

The ride is now playing the full 30-minute Jungle track made by IMAscore, which means less than 10% of the music now uses Inferno's melody, but plays the island theme at least 5 times in that same period.

It's being used at the entrance, all queue areas, ride areas (under lift hill, near loop etc) and the station.

*sigh* another ride's identity lost...

14 minutes ago, Coaster said:

NOOOOOOOOOO!  You've got to be joking.

Idiots.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how fabulous THE Nemesis Inferno theme is?

Those chords, the bass, the melody... sheer brilliance.

Makes absolutely no sense does it, just like the trashing of Colossus soundtrack.

18 minutes ago, Ringo said:

Makes absolutely no sense does it, just like the trashing of Colossus soundtrack.

No sense at all.  Thorpe Park used to be such a fun, vibrant place where each area had its own unique atmosphere.  From the dramatic scores for Colossus and Nemesis Inferno, you had the western Canada Creek Playlist, WWTP Radio (back when it played properly), and so many fun pieces of music which added so much to the park's atmosphere.

Fast forward to 2018, and the park has no atmosphere at all.  Every area has had its vibe washed out with the same corporate IMAScore tripe, stripping it back of all the fun and atmosphere that a theme park should have.

Rumba's fun catchy theme?  Nope, let's have some nondescript "Zufari" music that people will have forgotten by the time they leave the ride.

Also, who remembers this gem?  I remember it playing across the bridges out of the dome, around the beach area etc.  Now just the same music as everywhere else in the park.

They'd be better off with chart music than the current rubbish, at least that is varied!

Wonder if it's a rights issue? And easier for the parks to get IMAScore to dirge out something and then have them for good rather than create completely bespoke from individuals...

It's strange because IMAScore do create some great themes... Perhaps it's to do with what they're given by the client as a specification, as the more distinct stuff sounds like the parks have worked directly and constantly to provide something memorable...

We just need to hope that Alton Towers don’t start replacing all of their music with tracks from IMAscore. Imagine the outrage in the theme park community if Nemesis or Obilvion received a new soundtrack! 

I really miss the years when the bass tubes in the station made you feel the music. Sadly, they were turned right down years ago and now I highly doubt they will ever be fully utilised again ?

Oh yes, something else I couldn’t help but notice yesterday was who here remembers when Lost City/Colossus’ theme used to be high-pitched for a number of years from 2012 - 2016? Well, it’s made a return but to another area of the park this time!

It now appears that the Dome’s audio is playing it’s 30-minute ‘Port & Basecamp’ track slightly faster than usual at a higher pitch and was only playing downstairs and through the speakers outside facing Vortex. Inside the Dome however, nothing. No audio playing at all in there yesterday until the park closed with it’s End-of-Day/Shark Hotel audio.

Hopefully this is fixed as soon as possible and not left untouched for another 5 years.