Park Music

humjosh

3 minutes ago, Marhelorpe said:

If this means every area and ride across the park is once again getting their own individual identity and audio, just like it used to be pre-2012 when Midnight Syndicate was used and not just a 30-minute Walking Dead track like in 2017, I'm all for this! ?

Blimey! Was expecting you to be upset it isn't IMAScore! ?

1 hour ago, StevenVig said:

You will be pleased to know, that seasoned theme park composer, Nick Hutson has created all new audio for this years FRIGHT NIGHTS!

This includes new Admissions, Bridge, Lost City, The Jungle, Old Town and Amity (Yes... a brand new WWTP loop!) audio... as well as  new ride music and original music and audio for the new mazes.  

Bye IMAScore ??

Definitely like the idea of individual areas having their own music tracks for Fright Nights , a fright night WWTP is a nice throw back to 2006/7 too!

Think it would be a mistake not to use the parks “theme” which imascore are behind mind - it’s memorable and they should be aiming to use this across the events in different styles similar to how towers use theirs.

Certainly would be a shame to lose the IMA Score transition we've seen recently for Fright Nights. The 'Sound of the Island' should be a focal point for all future soundtracks in my opinion, Fright Nights included. And it worked well last year (just a shame it was stolen for TWD The Ride).

Though it will be nice to see more rides given Fright Nights themes - let's hope they're good.

9 hours ago, StevenVig said:

You will be pleased to know, that seasoned theme park composer, Nick Hutson has created all new audio for this years FRIGHT NIGHTS!

This includes new Admissions, Bridge, Lost City, The Jungle, Old Town and Amity (Yes... a brand new WWTP loop!) audio... as well as  new ride music and original music and audio for the new mazes.  

Bye IMAScore ??

What do you mean by seasoned? 

20 hours ago, StevenVig said:

Bye IMAScore ??

I hope this is sarcasm... The Nick Hutson pieces suck... :ph34r:

I really don’t like the park’s decisions regarding audio recently. Removing the original Inferno, Rumba and Colossus/Lost City pieces in favour of very bland, generic and unatmospheric IMAscore tracks was a very poor move. The entrance theme is certainly very nice, and a vast improvement; I just wish there wasn’t this brand-obsessed idea of redoing all the music to feature that one park jingle. Homogenising the park for the sake of fan service is not a good idea... 

Fright Nights too, the old Midnight Syndicate tracks that they used to play were great. The Asylum’s music was :wub:.

From what I’ve heard of the Hutson music (2017 Dragon Falls mix, Pandamonium and Molly Crowe), it’s all just as unimaginative as IMAscore’s anyway, just without the glossy overlay. So this isn’t really much of an improvement. :P 

1 hour ago, HermanTheGerman said:

I really don’t like the park’s decisions regarding audio recently. Removing the original Inferno, Rumba and Colossus/Lost City pieces in favour of very bland, generic and unatmospheric IMAscore tracks was a very poor move. The entrance theme is certainly very nice, and a vast improvement; I just wish there wasn’t this brand-obsessed idea of redoing all the music to feature that one park jingle. Homogenising the park for the sake of fan service is not a good idea... 

Whilst I can see your point on Inferno / Colossus - Lost City used to play 3 minutes of colossus statuon ambiance with air hisses on top - the imascore stuff is a huge improvement!

You will never know the frustration and the ridiculousness of the true story of audio at Thorpe Park. 

The whole sorry mess, from a long forgotten relationship with a once industry leader in site wide audio systems; to the only governance over what music actually plays across the park being down to whoever shouts the loudest at any given time is just the tip of the iceberg. 

Fundementally, all there really is to say is that Merlin are not and will never be a production company and as a result have very little industry competency when it comes to professional audio, video and lighting; theatrical technical systems which make such a stark contrast between them and theme park industry leaders, or audio/music that augments and is designed for the experience rather than a complete and underbudgeted after thought.

You’ve all enjoyed music in the past that Thorpe Park / Merlin never really had the legal right to play to a mass audience in a commercial environment. You’ve all heard tracks that you can’t find anywhere other than Mania’s old audio libraries or YouTube because they were created in someone’s bedroom.

Colossus and Nemesis Inferno? If only you knew. Be grateful for what you have. 

One day, creative audio will once again be a priority at Thorpe Park and seen as a contributing factor to excellence in guest experience. 

Until then, literally it is luck of the draw on any given visit. Let’s hope Nick has specified the sample rate of his compositions so that they play at the correct pitch across the island.

14 hours ago, Coaster said:

I'd be interested to hear more, as IMO the original soundtracks were far better than the IMAScore ones.

RIP the atmospheric Colossus and Nemesis Inferno old school soundtracks!!

I do love a lot of what Imascore do (Big Top,Helix,Wickerman and Taron ETC) but I also find a lot of what they do quite bland and lacking in atmosphere. Yes they make long soundtracks but just because something has a longer lasting time does not make it better.... otherwise by that logic, The Attack of the Clones is a better movie than The Empire Strikes Back.

1 hour ago, WWTPRadio said:

Don’t blame IMAScore for any lack of creativity on a score. Think about what sort of brief they might have received ...

This is probably the main difference between many of the IMAScore compositions, there is a vast mix of styles and genres done by them, but the quality of any soundtrack will be determined by how solid and sensible the brief is that is given to them in the first place... 

It's also seemingly more noticeable in re-done tracks than new ones mind...