humjosh

Park Music

2310 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

Whilst standing on a tarmac soup going through some turnstyles. Not being cynical, that's often the brief they ask for "we want guests to feel like theyre about to have the greatest time of their life (without actually designing the new entrance the park badly needs)", and you get a massively overproduced track oddly matched with the area as a result . Does it at least sound descent coming through the speakers? 

If this park were owned by a more independent company who truly valued the customer experience then they'd have demolished the original entrance and built a new area long ago, renovated the whole park instead of just changing the style of their signs & graphics, and commissioned sympathetic new audio setups as necessary.

The music sounds generic to me like they're quite desperate to go after universal or 'that modern trailer sound' whether it has anything to do with Thorpe Park or not, but it's on par with the Ian Habgood track used last decade and a good atmosphere at least.

Also you can't judge until its at the park I suppose. What sounds one way on YouTube will sound completely different in person depending on what they've done there, whether better or worse. Everyone initially loved Chessington's new theme in 2010 for example, but after a while I thought it was pretty awful & cheesy coming through their tinny speakers around the entrance, and guests often comment how tacky & forced it sounds.

I was at the park on Tuesday and spent a considerable amount of time around the Dome area. I like the track. Doesn't grab you too much but that's what I want in my ambient park audio.

Wumbamillio likes this

8 hours ago, ProudToServe said:

You think it's possible to flatten and rebuild a complete new entrance in 4 months, with that being 1 of the 2 only bridges accessing the park? Things have to be done in stages and slowly, mainly down to planning permission and min disturbance to the parks operations.

No independent owner would ever be able to afford a complete renovation. just look at the time its taking to just get the plans submitted for Kent, and thats being backed by a lot of money.

Paultons redid their entrance a few years back, sure many other parks have done the same...

Sure with proper planning and thinking redoing the entrance plaza would be doable in a few months, then the year after you do the bridge...

What's happening in Kent has nothing to do with Thorpe's non-refurb of their awful entrance area...

On 05/04/2017 at 10:54 PM, ProudToServe said:

You think it's possible to flatten and rebuild a complete new entrance in 4 months, with that being 1 of the 2 only bridges accessing the park? Things have to be done in stages and slowly, mainly down to planning permission and min disturbance to the parks operations.

No independent owner would ever be able to afford a complete renovation. just look at the time its taking to just get the plans submitted for Kent, and thats being backed by a lot of money.

You're not wrong, but I study construction planning & strategy and know how much of a task it is, from what I understand I'm sure it could be largely done in 4 months.  Planning permission would obviously be done way in advance, in fact I'm sure Thorpe Park have outlined their entrance redevelopment proposal to the council in the past? (but its never gone ahead) Part of the task would be to find solutions to minimise operational impact over winter and alternative access, (which ought to be available anyway in the case of a bridge closure). It's perfectly possible and no different to many similar projects that happen all the time. :) 

Merlin could easily afford it and they construct all the time at lightning fast speed whenever they send up a new hotel. Independent owners abroad of a similar scale to Thorpe Park construct like this often. Merlin, one of the biggest & richest attraction operators in the world, simply don't spend the money because they'd rather recycle the inadequate entrance from the 80s, from when it was a much smaller park.

The Kent thing is an entirely new corporate development on a new site and of a totally different nature, the reason that is taking so long would not solely be due to planning either but a whole number of things. Building a new entrance would take no time at all.

All you have to do is look at the massive hotels Merlin builds every year, the speed at which they get designed, green-lit and constructed around the world. If it's in their company interest, they'll do it easily. But they dont see properly renovating their aging theme park infrastructure as their priority 90% the time. Just add some wood cladding, IMAscore, etc. 'Job done'

8 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

You're not wrong, but I study construction planning & strategy and know how much of a task it is, from what I understand I'm sure it could be largely done in 4 months.  Planning permission would obviously be done way in advance, in fact I'm sure Thorpe Park have outlined their entrance redevelopment proposal to the council in the past? (but its never gone ahead) Part of the task would be to find solutions to minimise operational impact over winter and alternative access, (which ought to be available anyway in the case of a bridge closure). It's perfectly possible and no different to many similar projects that happen all the time. :) 

Merlin could easily afford it and they construct all the time at lightning fast speed whenever they send up a new hotel. Independent owners abroad of a similar scale to Thorpe Park construct like this often. Merlin, one of the biggest & richest attraction operators in the world, simply don't spend the money because they'd rather recycle the inadequate entrance from the 80s, from when it was a much smaller park.

The Kent thing is an entirely new corporate development on a new site and of a totally different nature, the reason that is taking so long would not solely be due to planning either but a whole number of things. Building a new entrance would take no time at all.

All you have to do is look at the massive hotels Merlin builds every year, the speed at which they get designed, green-lit and constructed around the world. If it's in their company interest, they'll do it easily. But they dont see properly renovating their aging theme park infrastructure as their priority 90% the time. Just add some wood cladding, IMAscore, etc. 'Job done'

True that. If that entrance is your first impression of Thorpe. It isn't a good one. I mean those toilets are something that would be more suited to a poorly maintained toilet stop on a B road.

On 06/04/2017 at 7:55 AM, Benin said:

Paultons redid their entrance a few years back, sure many other parks have done the same...

Sure with proper planning and thinking redoing the entrance plaza would be doable in a few months, then the year after you do the bridge...

What's happening in Kent has nothing to do with Thorpe's non-refurb of their awful entrance area...

Of course kent has nothing to do with Thorpe, but how it shows how much planning goes back and forth, local area, environment, other companies around the area. as for the build, its not something that would take a few months 

On 07/04/2017 at 10:41 AM, Wumbamillio said:

4 months, possibly. merlin can whip up a new building easy, because there's nothing in it's way. An existing building tends to have infrastructure running through them supporting other buildings, services, and then you also have local residents and restrictions on movement over areas of the park. So moving staff to go via another route may not be possible. Then you have other events happening during the close season. Knocking it down and starting from scratch would be a huge feat, and personally I can't ever see it happening anytime soon, definitely when theres little wrong with the building. 

As for green lit quickly, each area, country has it's own restriction, some can deal with builds quicker than others

2 hours ago, ProudToServe said:

Of course kent has nothing to do with Thorpe, but how it shows how much planning goes back and forth, local area, environment, other companies around the area. as for the build, its not something that would take a few months 

I am not suggesting construction planning takes "a few months", I meant by my comment that Kent was so incomparable to Thorpe Park redeveloping their entrance because the years of planning needs to come from the corporate side and the business interest moving in and out, including working with the planners during this process, whereas the actual council planning process does not as long as you suggest. No comparable on the scale to Thorpe Park building a new entrance.

4 months, possibly. merlin can whip up a new building easy, because there's nothing in it's way. An existing building tends to have infrastructure running through them supporting other buildings, services, and then you also have local residents and restrictions on movement over areas of the park. So moving staff to go via another route may not be possible. Then you have other events happening during the close season. Knocking it down and starting from scratch would be a huge feat, and personally I can't ever see it happening anytime soon, definitely when theres little wrong with the building. 

Again these are all just standard construction situations that get considered with any project. If the things you highlight are such a "huge feat" then how were they able to submit and construction Derren Brown within just a year or two, right in the middle of the park requiring lots of excavation into a brown field site, or Chessington's Azteca hotel costing millions of pounds but being green lit with ease - or Legoland's new hotel for which the park's core vehicle access route had to be severed and vital underground infrastructure carefully avoided . It's perfectly possible if the company sees that it will make them money.

By "green lit" I meant Merlin approving a plan, instead of cancelling plans like they do year on year. There had been plans to rebuild the entrance before I recall, but as always - it got denied by Merlin's senior board because, well, the other option was to just not bother and save all that money. I don't feel like encouraging this kind of practice, because it happens all the time.

There's a lot wrong with Thorpe Park's entrance, for a theme park run by such a large company. Take a look at other amazing park entrances around Europe, at parks run by companies not a fraction of the size of Merlin. Not only do they look great, but they are the right size, have good facilities for guests and staff, efficient, and have no shoddy temporary fencing in sight. Thorpe Park is still using its basic infrastructure from when it was a small water sports park and exhibition in the 70s - 80s. Really, and their solution is to paint it blue, add wood, add a big screen and this music like it's the greatest sight you will ever see. Also the bridge is a terrible piece of infrastructure for what it now has to serve too, it can't keep going forever.

Its absolutely possible, not a simple job by any means, but no obstacle stands in their way on developments like this except for their own capital expenditure policies.

47 minutes ago, ThemeParkCrafter said:

If only rumba rapids had less bland music, not played very quietly, I wouldn't have felt so depressed after riding :(

I wish they would just bring the old song back that song was fantastic and I don't know why they changed it.

This was playing Monday when the park shut, I tell you what in the sun with the park empty it was so peaceful with this tune playing! I absolutely love the new soundtracks they've got and the whole spruce up of the park is really noticeable, everything felt so much cleaner and the island theme is really starting to become stronger which is great to see! I recorded this when I was leaving, such a peaceful tropical house track😍

IMG_4895.MOV

Mattgwise likes this