The News

Phyciodes

You know the americans saying this are scum. They mentioned Katrina. I'm not denying that Hurricane Katrina was an awful event, but compared to this Earthquake and everything that followed, the Americans had it easy. It's funny that some Americans couldn't care less about the 13,000 people killed in this earthquake, which killed more than Katrina and 9/11 combined.

Latest death toll is 13,000 people. Absolutely horrific. The speed of the destruction in the videos is almost incomprehensible.

It truely is horrific, it's one of those things that will be with me for the rest of my life like September 11th. Seeing that wave rush through Japan, seeing houses, cars, boats, trains just being pushed aside and knowing people are being wiped out instantly, It's awful and I think people should do whatever they can to help the Japanese.

Double post whatever. I've been following the events of the nuclear plants out there. The cooling system on reactor 3 has failed and a chance of a possible meltdown. The other thing is the strength of the earthquake has been revised to 9.0 on the richter scale, the 5th most extreme earthquake ever recorded.

The sheer stupidity of some Americans really amazes me. What happened in the past, happened in the past. It shouldn't be dragged up and then said what happens is karma. The world is about moving on and helping each other. My thoughts and prayers really go out to Japan. It is hard to really understand the sheer magnitude of the event when you are so far away and can only look at photos and not see the devastation yourself.

The nuclear power plant is now saying that the cooling system for reactor 2 has now stopped working too, they are using sea water as an alternative to try and cool it down more to avoid another explosion after reactor 3's building had an explosion today. This is just getting worse and worse for Japan, it's very worrying about what could happen at the nuclear power station next.

Just a round up of the story:--Authorities are struggling to control the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, where the situation in reactors No 3 and No 4 remains fast-moving and perilous.All 6 reactors at the nuclear power plant currently have cooling issues. Three have already exploded, one has had amajor fire and the remaining two have rising heat levels. Radiation levels have been spiking although it's important to point out that they haven't been stupidly high. Cornwall has higher radiation being emitted then what is currently being emitted.• The country faces an increasingly desperate humanitarian crisis caused by the direct effects of Friday's huge earthquake and resultant tsunami, one made worse by freezing weather.The official death toll has now hit 4,255 deaths, with 8,194 people registered as unaccounted for. Survivors, many of them homeless, are struggling with a wave of cold weather forecast to last well into this week, with night time temperatures dipping to -5C in some places.Considering how many older people die in this country from cold temperatures, the death toll resulting from this Earthquake could catapault massively.• Japan's emperor, Akihito, has made a rare TV appearance to express his condolences to his people and his worry at the nuclear situation.• Following its precipitous plunge yesterday, Tokyo's stock market bounced back nearly 6%. Japan's central bank has injected a further $40bn into the financial markets.The Japan emperor rarely makes a TV experience. The Japanese need some kind of hope in this time and the Emporer has hopefully given hope to people. It needs to be pointed out though that everyday the bank is injecting billions into an economy that been slowly dwindling over the last two decades. The longer this crisis continues, the more likely it will be that Japan will be in financial peril.

5400 people are now confirmed as dead, with another 9500 still missing. The scale of this is horrible, I just can't get my head around it.The nuclear crisis is ongoing and helicopters have now been employed to help increase the rate at which water is poured into the site, in order to prevent a bigger incident. Tonnes of water is being dropped over multiple reactors, 4 being in the worst condition I believe.I just hate the feeling that all this is happening while we go around our everyday lives, I guess it shows how fragile human life is and how powerful the natural environment is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wahoooooo!!! *Gets party poppers and party blowers and party hats*The people who lost others in the 9/11 attacks must be so relieved! As David Caneron pointed out, it doesn't bring them back (obviously!) but the people will be soooo reassured :rolleyes:So us Brits had a Royal Wedding, and now the US have this :rolleyes: What a brilliant Bank Holiday weekend!!!

^ I think that's a given.Glad as I am that he is dead, I don't see this changing anything. He will now be seen as a martyr (as all the other dead terrorists are) and will just strengthen the resolve for further attacks. The figurehead may be gone, but the organisation is still as capable as it ever has been :rolleyes:Dave

^ I think that's a given.Glad as I am that he is dead, I don't see this changing anything. He will now be seen as a martyr (as all the other dead terrorists are) and will just strengthen the resolve for further attacks. The figurehead may be gone, but the organisation is still as capable as it ever has been :(Dave

THISI'd bet a fair few bob that there will be retaliations in the future... Organisations like this don't just crumble because one man is dead... Especially after 10 years of trying it...Was this war really worth it? 10 years old and there were no weapons of mass destruction, couldn't find Osama (until now)... Pathetic waste of lives over there and they are the ones who have really suffered...

Glad they killed the bastard - finally. First thing I thought of was retaliation attacks from terrorists - it is scary and I agree that the death of one man won't stop the extremists and their actions. But at least the relatives/friends of the 9/11 victims can get even just a little bit of relief from the death of this evil vile man.

May be controversial but I dont think he deserved a religious funeral. I feel his soul was too evil to be deserve the comfort of a religious ceremony.I also wish they'd burned his body, I don't feel comfortable knowing he's still... all in one piece. Like the want to shoot a dead person, just to make sure they're dead, even though they're laying in a pool of their own blood and not breathing (as seen in films )...