The News

Phyciodes

The biggest question I have is what will happen to the Cornish Pasty. Currently its protected by EU law but what will happen when we leave. I do kind of like the irony that all the areas that the EU helps out through subsidies such as Cornwall are the areas more likely to vote to leave.

Still....

97602391_Boris-voteleave-uk-large_trans+

People are bored of the doom n gloom from Remain? Like Brexit don't do that either? Today they're going on about how there's apparently thousands of foreign criminals on our streets (though why they're not in prison I don't know, surely if you cant deport them they go there?)

Both sides have been guilty of scaremongering, just Brexit are able to play on the current fear of immigration...

Michael Gove is simply dreadful, could never support anything he does after he destroyed the education system... There's a reason his name is met with anger in every school...

It's becoming the accepted story that all remain do is scare monger but lets face it, leave are just as guilty. From saying the EU has become akin to Hitler or saying 70 million evil Muslims from Turkey will be descending on us imminently, it's all tapping into irrational fears. What doesn't help is the scare tactics from the Mail and the Express who every day present a new story about how the evil EU causes rises in cancer or the like.

I'm kind of fed up of it all to be honest and this campaign has bought out the worst in human nature. 

Agreed with all the above, both sides are guilty of scaremongering.

Regarding Cornish Pasties, there is nothing stopping the present Government from ratifying the same protective legislation to protect production if we leave, unless of course they can't be trusted.

Well the Pro-EU MPs threatening to block brexit if leave wins really shows they can't be trusted. Any mp who tries to block the referendum result will see there career ruined. Doing that would see ukip support sky rocket as would a remain vote. This referendum will be going on way past 2020.

Nah, they got away with it in Ireland, nobody lost their seats over the whole "we don't like this no vote, have another vote, in fact have as many as you need and don't come back until you get a yes vote".

But it would be lovely to see the very MP's who introduced the no confidence / call back clause be sacked by it.

• 2 weeks later...

"A great day for the UK!" they cried, independence bank holiday pencilled into the 2017 calendars...

Yet Scotland hold a referendum and leave, whilst both parts Ireland, due to the border issues unify once more...

Great Britain, led into the next world by Boris Johnson, with a privatised NHS system and further education cuts, is left with Wales and more social issues as the economy spirals down due to the uncertainty...

That is our future... That is what people voted for...

I would like to point out the value of the pound is not a measure of the economy. They rise and fall and while yes it has fallen a lot it is now rising again. Exports are far more favourable with a weaker pound. 

The ftse 100 was predicted to be down 9.8% however currently it's only down 2.2%. The markets don't like risk which is why they are all over the place. Once a plan is set out then stability will be brought to the markets. 

Brexit was always going to be damaging short term, however it allows great growth in the long term as we are no longer letting the slow EU set up poor trade deals for us.

"Once a plan is in place"

Such a statement pretty much shows why the market exploded... There is no plan, there never was a plan beyond leaving the EU... So now we have 2 years and 3 months of uncertainty for apparent freedom from, well I'm not actually sure what freedom or who had our country in the first place...

Should Scotland hold a second referendum they will leave... They stayed due to the EU membership, why would they keep within the turmoil when they want to remain?

Northern Ireland has a similar situation, only made worse due to the border with the Republic... They could well unify due to the massive complications they will encounter from bring out and the majority of areas also wanting in...

Cornwall council is my favourite thing out of this, as they've asked the government to confirm that any EU funding they will lose (circa £60m over 10 years) is kept... Where's that money going to come from? What other areas of the country have had their voters forget how much the EU supports certain aspects of the UK?

It'll get messy, very messy before things stabilise...

39 minutes ago, Project LC said:

I would like to point out the value of the pound is not a measure of the economy. They rise and fall and while yes it has fallen a lot it is now rising again. Exports are far more favourable with a weaker pound. 

The ftse 100 was predicted to be down 9.8% however currently it's only down 2.2%. The markets don't like risk which is why they are all over the place. Once a plan is set out then stability will be brought to the markets. 

Brexit was always going to be damaging short term, however it allows great growth in the long term as we are no longer letting the slow EU set up poor trade deals for us.

You're beginning to sound like an expert and we don't listen to experts anymore. Today has been an awful day. Normally I'd celebrate the resignation of a Tory prime minister, but knowing that we could be ruled by the class clown isn't enough to console me. 

Still on the bright side, we managed to crash the Japanese economy too so silver lining and all that.

Really thought we had it for a monent. This reminds me of the time labour had an incredible amount of support on the internet which seemed overwhelming and we know what happened there... Right now I'm just bitter and disappointed. Chatting to my colleagues at work today and we were all shocked by it and upset, but what is done is done. Not sure I'm keen on people trying to get a second referendum, if the roles were reversed we wouldn't be saying anything 

I only hope I can be proved wrong that the EU was best for us. I also have a 0.5mm of sympathy for David Cameron for once in my short life...

I don't get why people are suddenly so ashamed to be British; why apparently the British public can't be trusted, and how everyone who voted leave is racist.
First of all, these people need to pipe the hell down. In the spur of the moment, I voted remain, despite thinking I'd probably vote leave, however I can see many advantages that can now come, which we couldn't have whilst remaining in the EU. 

In the next 2 years we will regain control over rules and regulations, trade links, and laws and rights, that the EU had us install.

Second of all, people need to understand what optimism is. A lot of those who voted remain are going nuts over this, however a majority of people voted leave, and it's the most participants we've had in a vote since Thatcher. 

Our country is very much not in as much trouble as some make it out to be. People have read far, far to into all the issues of the unkown that could arise if we (as we have) leave the EU. This 2 year period is supposed to ease us into independence, and if any big obstacles pop up, they will be dealt with, with the support of our ally nations. 

'I'm not looking forward to crippling debt'  'look how weak the pound is now haha we're ******' 'everyone who voted leave is racist'

These annoy me. All taken from my facebook feed.
Of course, with any skepticism or risk, dips in economics take place. Every time a new leader is appointed, or major rule changes are intorduced the economic statuses of countries dip, however they do rise. The FTSE100 proves that we're not going into recession already, which is quite good considering the unkown of the situation. 

As well as this, now with all the new independence we have, trade links with our previous empire will be reconstructed, and there are already talks of setting up an English speaking open border zone with Canada and Australia. This would be fantastic, and unlike the EU, this is a very small group with extremely similar cultures and economic & politic structures. We have more chance then ever to prosper.

The EU has become something it wasn't originally intended to be. To begin with it was supposed to essentially be a pact between a few, extremely strong countries to hold up each other if they start to crumble. Now it's a kinda 'jump on board, we got ya!' situation with the likes of France and Germany, as well as other European rich countries supporting all the others who needed help, and with more and more states joining, this system is putting more and more pressure upon these power houses.

Finally, I for one have no problem whatsoever with whatever people voted. I'd like to think I am not as immature to openly call my friends pillocks simply because they don't share my political views. The vote was there so the people can decide what would happen to our country, and whilst there will be a minority who are racially guided, I know plenty of voter - outers who are not racist at all. They did it so that smaller businesses can now have more support, and less of a daunting shadow from the EU supported big businesses, the fact that our borders are too open, along with the points I have raised above. I for one entirely agree with an open border concept, and the fact that the leave side of things were pushing to close schemes like this is what made me sway.

That's all I have to say really. There's too much negativity and ****storms everywhere at the moment, people have to deal with what is happening and understand it's not entirely terrible, and be optimistic for the future.