The News

Phyciodes

Jeez I hope no one voted out due to all the free movement of people, mean like its not like the EU could turn around a demand that any trade agreement comes with that as a requirement...

The stories coming out of people just being general racist tossers is quite scary though... I get the feeling a fair amount of outers expected to be gone in the weekend, not two years...

Also, they have a plan but its behind closed doors? No, sorry, not buying that bull... Given we were told by Gove "no one listens to experts" who unsurprisingly predicted everything going a bit pear shaped, an open and honest timeline plan would easily help the markets stop fluctuating a bit and actually get everyone behind at least something... Pointing fingers at the PM shows a lack of class and how stupid the campaigns have been, focusing all on childish in fighting rather than the actual importance of the decision to the public...

Wait hang on. We're going to be the same as before just with no say in the EU rules, no vote or veto, still with free movement and the single market.

Oh my god. 

So now, the main leave argument is void, the whole remain argument has come true and we're halfway house with less democracy then we had before. Thats if the 27 EU members even decide to let us have the Norway system. 

Leaderless, powerless, no actual opposition who continue to implode. Just glad the economy hasn't completely taken itself yet although with another three months of uncertainty, who knows where we will be in October.

11 hours ago, Project LC said:

Nah boris will go for PM and go forward with article 50. He will find a middle ground keeping us in the single market but control over our laws and the ability to make trade deals. As a result he will be supported by people who voted leave and get some support from people who wanted to stay. Meanwhile labour falls apart with this stupid no confidence vote. Also UKIP vote dwindles and gets distributed back to the party's they got them from (mainly conservatives).

So all in all it will play out quite well for the conservatives. 

That is the plan but I get the impression Boris is getting cold feet, he took the same style gamble as Dave in the hope that by backing leave it would frighten some sense into the EU (his own words), I'm sure he never truely expected to win.

Of course Parliment could choose to ignore the result.

The head of the liberal group in the parliament, former Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt:

"What are you waiting for? When will the Council recognise that this type of EU - you cannot defend it any more. Europe needs to be reformed... European citizens are not against Europe, they're against this Europe."

This. This is why people voted out. Not because they are racist halfwits somehow brainwashed by Boris and Nigel, but because they have made an informed choice with a basic understanding of how the European Union operates, and they don't like it. 

There are of course racist halfwits on both sides of the argument, but the remainers insistence that they actually know better and are right, rather than understanding the reality that they merely have a different opinion and there is no right answer. The fact that a few million remainers thought it was a good idea to sign a petition to change the rules of the referendum after the event shows that in reality they may not be the most intelligent side after all.

I agree 100% but just a couple of funny ironic points...

The e-petition wanting a second referendum was started by a brexit supporter (because he was so convinced the result was going to be remain).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-petition-second-eu-referendum-latest-news-vote-leave-a7104076.html

At final count 60k signatures came from the Vatican City, a country with only 451 residents.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/683520/Second-EU-referendum-petition-FRAUD-sign-OUTSIDE-UK-brexit-signatures

LOL

What do we think about the Calais situation? We have an agreement with the French government to have our Border checks there but the Calais Mayor wants the border pushed back to Dover. I would find it funny in by leaving the EU, we've actually just let refugees in far more easily. Would be even more delicious that Dover fully voted to leave. :yahoo:

Our policy should be to return refugees to where they came from, so as soon as they turn up at Dover in the back of a lorry, dump them on the next ferry back to France and tell the French to deal with them, since that's where they came from.

I'm pretty sure that's what America does with anybody they don't want to let through security, and nobody seems to have problem with them doing it.

Our policy should be to return refugees to the nearest accessible place of asylum. (Which, in England is almost everywhere). They deserve it just as much as you or I and therefore we must stop looking down on refugees as they have every right to be here. The vast majority have escaped the immediate threat of a war that is ripping Syria apart. 

An immigrant is the same thing as an expat. Yet people think it's alright for a Brit to go to Malaga for 5 years and not for a Syrian (for example) to go to Britain for the same period of time. 

The difference being the Brit who goes to live in Malaga does so able to support themselves without having to rely on the Spanish for handouts.

The EU's own laws state that Syrian refugee you refer to, only has the right to claim asylum and settle in the first Schengen Country they come to, not the last one they get to which isn't even a member, perhaps if the EU had enforced their own rules properly instead of turning a blind eye, then maybe, just maybe the result of the referendum might have been different.

Stop trying to save the world, we can barely look after our own people as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Tom said:

I assumed when opening this thread that it would be about Turkey and not Pokemon Go

How depressing

That was like half an hour before I even found out about what was going on in Turkey, which was terrible. Sounds like it's over now though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36803544

Would you like some more fear with your fear?

I'm sorry but I don't see how an independent news reporter can honestly consider publishing an article linking a leave vote with believing in the death penalty. 

I don't care if a survey of people showed statistics like that it's not news. On top of that the statistics are clearly being shown in a light so it benefits the story. I'm quite sure 70% of people who believe in the death penalty voted leave but the way it's written suggests 70% of leave voters support the death penalty. Any person who knows something about statistics can tell you that isn't the case.

Not a single positive story from the bbc about Brexit. No mention of the ftse on an 11 month high or multiple requests for trade deals from around the world. Just fear fear fear.

Multiple requests for trade deals because when we leave we have to create brand new ones, that's not exactly surprising news...

FTSE is high because the pound died a death so everyone is buying up cheap... Plus the eventual stability of the leadership means that the banks have calmed ever so slightly...

Never see any news outlet using stats to benefit an angle either... Ever...

7 hours ago, Project LC said:

Not a single positive story from the bbc about Brexit. No mention of the ftse on an 11 month high or multiple requests for trade deals from around the world. Just fear fear fear.

When they have something positive to report on, they will do it. They've wisely moved away from mainly Brexit stories recently, nothings going to happen with that until Article 50 is triggered and until that point its all theories and conjecture.

Saying that, I enjoyed this story Wales. If I were the EU commission, I wouldn't want to talk to Wales either, a country who majority voted to Leave.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36803544

I'm sorry but I don't see how an independent news reporter can honestly consider publishing an article linking a leave vote with believing in the death penalty. 

Did you even read the article? It's a magazine article,  not news, and doesn't really pass comment on the rights and wrongs of the death penalty or come close to declaring that those who voted Brexit want to kill people. What it does highlight is the lack of correlation between people's wealth, class and social standing (which many, especially it seems remain campaigners, would strongly link with their intelligence and ability to make a sensible informed decision rather than doing what The Sun tells them) and how they voted. But there is a fairly strong  correlation between people's thoughts on the death penalty and the way they voted, and the author points out that this does suggest these will be people with a more 'traditional' outlook, not so much liberals or forward thinkers. A reasonable assumption to make and not really at all negative or conveying of fear. It's largely positive in debunking the stupid myth that brexit was brought on by an underclass not understanding what they are voting for.

Not a single positive story from the bbc about Brexit. 

Absolute rubbish. Go to the bbc news site, type in 'brexit' to the search and look through the results. A fairly even spread will be found. CEO of weatherspoons doing down the negativity from official sources, the Americans wanting to keep our close links, the stories from the days immediately after the vote stating exactly what you are saying they didn't and the markets have largely recovered etc etc etc.

If you need spoon feeding content and what you are supposed to think about it, rather than being presented with information which leaves you to think, maybe you should stick to that bastion of truth and independence (lol) that is Sky News. Or maybe the Daily Mail.

They are not perfect, but doing down the BBC for an article like this, when it is compared to the overall output of its biased and sensationalist competitors, is madness.

• 2 months later...

The SNP indépendance consultation/referendum will be nothing compared to the world of pain that the ROI and Gibraltar will go through over the next two years. Besides, Scotland did vote by a large margin to stay in the EU, it's no surprise that they are doing whatever they can to obtain that goal. 

Chalk me up to being pleasantly surprised at your common sense views above, it's a refreshing change to see your generation using it.

Having said that I do think the Jocks deserve another slice of pie, they were effectively convinced to vote stay by the promise/threat that it was the only way they could stay in Europe (from the EU too) so the fact that we have now voted to leave has basically nullified their original vote.

But if they do vote for it, then independence should mean independence, no more subsidies from England, you fund your own projects, you're on your own Jock, best of luck, don't come back in three years begging for a bailout when you're bankrupt.

Oh and for the love of god someone please make referendums the same requirements as Acts of Parliament with a two thirds majority required for the vote to be binding, it won't make a difference to the Scotts, they'll happily follow Nicola over the cliff, but if Brexit has taught us anything, the same rules need to apply regardless.

Scotland would be royally buggered if they left now, more so than when their original vote happened... Unless Sturgeon got a promise from the EU they could join it, which is probably slightly more likely than May & Co doing anything sensible...

33 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

But if they do vote for it, then independence should mean independence, no more subsidies from England, you fund your own projects, you're on your own Jock, best of luck, don't come back in three years begging for a bailout when you're bankrupt.

Lol that's exactly what the EU are telling the UK... Only with more "you have to accept free movement if you want a good trade deal"... Ironic really...