Rameses Revenge

Dan9

Since Rameses was installed, the 're-branding' phase of the mid-00's and the Merlin takeover have provided two opportunities for an attitude change to the ride. The fact that it's still there shows that both Tussauds and Merlin consider it to be a suitable ride for Chessington. If it was going to be removed for being too much of a 'thrill' ride it would have left years ago.

I think it's Ramesis is still in Chessie, because it means that there are a small number of thrill rides in the park. Certainly not enough to be on the likes of Thorpe or even towers but the right a lance. Secondly, it will prove a good stepping stone for peeps wanting to be more adventurous and wanting to go to Thorpe Park.

I think it's Ramesis is still in Chessie, because it means that there are a small number of thrill rides in the park. Certainly not enough to be on the likes of Thorpe or even towers but the right a lance. Secondly, it will prove a good stepping stone for peeps wanting to be more adventurous and wanting to go to Thorpe Park.

I agree with everyone here who is in favour of rameses STAYING...

I was really lucky today as I managed to get on rameses for the first time. I absolutely loved it and did it 3 times today. It is a THRILL ride and I was ultra scared when it hangs you upside down! We even got a good soaking too! I adore this ride after I've ridden it today and could easily spend a whole day of just going on this again and again... Rameses revenge stay for another few years at least at chessie will u?

My 9 year old loves Rameses, but by some peoples (probably including Chessington's) standards he should be enjoying Jungle Bouncers and have done with it.

Not only has the park changed with it's re-branding in the early 00's but so have the dynamics of Theme Parks and Fairs, once upon a time Rameses was considered one of the biggest thrill rides in the country but let's face it regardless of what the manufacturer says it's not that bad. Children of this generation have grown up with much more thrilling rides than I did in the late 80's early 90's and are more custom to being thrown upside down. My 4 year old won't get off Zodiac yet people say get rid of Rameses it's in the wrong park?

Without sounding negative those without children need to take a step back, they want the thrills they want to be flipped upside down but they also want the ZUFARI and Tomb Blaster too which is a key reason people want to take little ones on a bumpy ZUFARI, Chessington is finally starting to get to grips with this and it's also the reason Thorpe Park won't over take Alton Towers any time soon.

You can bet the next big breakdown Vampire or Rameses get they won't be replaced and I applaud Chessington and really hope they look into removing some of the dead rides and cater like Alton Towers does.

My 9 year old loves Rameses, but by some peoples (probably including Chessington's) standards he should be enjoying Jungle Bouncers and have done with it.

Not only has the park changed with it's re-branding in the early 00's but so have the dynamics of Theme Parks and Fairs, once upon a time Rameses was considered one of the biggest thrill rides in the country but let's face it regardless of what the manufacturer says it's not that bad. Children of this generation have grown up with much more thrilling rides than I did in the late 80's early 90's and are more custom to being thrown upside down. My 4 year old won't get off Zodiac yet people say get rid of Rameses it's in the wrong park?

Without sounding negative those without children need to take a step back, they want the thrills they want to be flipped upside down but they also want the ZUFARI and Tomb Blaster too which is a key reason people want to take little ones on a bumpy ZUFARI, Chessington is finally starting to get to grips with this and it's also the reason Thorpe Park won't over take Alton Towers any time soon.

You can bet the next big breakdown Vampire or Rameses get they won't be replaced and I applaud Chessington and really hope they look into removing some of the dead rides and cater like Alton Towers does.

I'm not a big fan of chessie's rides anymore but it is a nice little park. The only rides which I seem to really enjoy anymore are; rameses revenge, dragons fury, black buccaneer, rattlesnake and Kobra. There might be a couple of others I have forgotten about but they are the only main rides which I actually like. Vampire is a nice little coaster but it not to my tastes, and there is literally on one good bit, the rest is just average in my opinion. Dragons falls sometimes seems to please me however I don't like how you don't get particularly wet, I remember getting much wetter on loggers leap at thorpe park!

Well, most of the rides at chessie are average in my opinion except for the five I have listed above. I mean I can enjoy all the rest but I would only particularly want to go on them for a laugh and not queue for hours.

Zufari was also poor in my opinion, and whilst kids love it, I don't think teenagers or adults do. Which does not make it a FAMILY experience. I have to say the truth here, but I don't want to do zufari again as I thought it was an utter waste of time, especially as the pre show took up 10 mins which made our wait ten minutes longer :/

Rameses revenge IS a family thrill in my opinion and I want it to stay at chessie. I know a family who Could easily ride rameses revenge as they are all tall enough. I think the main issue with the ride is that people find it too intimidating, and this is where I think the problem steps in, anyone who likes rameses revenge and those type of rides will go to thorpe park leaving rameses revenge empty at chessington. That is the only reason they would take it out as it is extremely unpopular and was walk on all day yesterday(despite saying 15 mins) when all the other 'big' rides were all 30-90 mins. I love it at chessie because the fact that it is empty means you can ride it multiple times! If it was at thorpe it would be so popular and queues would be massive I would cry.

I get you enjoy the Big Rides in the ones you have listed, but Tomb Blaster, Monkey Swings, Sea Storm and Runaway Train are also all great Family rides, and I agree Rameses is a family ride. With ZUFARI it will be a great family ride but not until animals and the area is fully developed.

You are right with Rameses but that's why so many people in the family stand and watch it too, Chessington don't need a massive collection of rides like this but do need another one or two and especially keep this one in the park.

I get you enjoy the Big Rides in the ones you have listed, but Tomb Blaster, Monkey Swings, Sea Storm and Runaway Train are also all great Family rides, and I agree Rameses is a family ride. With ZUFARI it will be a great family ride but not until animals and the area is fully developed.

You are right with Rameses but that's why so many people in the family stand and watch it too, Chessington don't need a massive collection of rides like this but do need another one or two and especially keep this one in the park.

Yep, in no way whatsoever they should remove rameses revenge!

I hate tomb blaster but that is only because I always get rubbish scores and only got 100 when I rode it yesterday :P I used to love monkey swinger but yesterday the water was broken and that really downgrades the ride :(

I didn't think zufari was good but I guess it will be better in its own time. Yesterday the queues were massive at chessie though, and rides like tomb blaster had 1 hour queues and I queued for it and I felt really disappointed. I think I would enjoy tomb blaster more if I was actually good at it :P

I agree chessington has a great family atmosphere, and it is AIMED at families but I would like it if they maybe added another extreme ride so people who like extreme rides have a couple of rides to do. If they just brought one more(like when they had samurai) I think that would be great :D

People are agreeing with me?

Haha, you keep telling yourself that. Because you're the only one seeing that.

Seriously RideAddict?! It's great that they have repaired the ride so quickly, it is a good ride (imo) and provides something for older people at Chessington to go on.

If it doesn't appeal to you, don't go on it! The Jungle Bouncers (or whatever they are called now) don't appeal to me, but that doesn't make me think they should remove it!

Yes, seriously. I don't go on it, it's a pile of crap and doesn't perform. Seriously, RMT lasts longer!

Sorry, but when you can't even back yourself up correctly...

http://www.hussrides.com/family-rides.html

I suggest that you stop, because you're just going to embarrass yourself dear... Suggesting I couldn't get things right when your poor attempt at being right was in fact, wrong...

OK, I meant classic rides. But it doesn't say anywhere on their page about it being a thril ride.

Haha, you keep telling yourself that. Because you're the only one seeing that.

Yes, seriously. I don't go on it, it's a pile of crap and doesn't perform. Seriously, RMT lasts longer!

OK, I meant classic rides. But it doesn't say anywhere on their page about it being a thril ride.

The majority (I.e. 99% of other posts) are agreeing with Holly though... Like, just because Chessie isn't aimed at the thrill market doesn't mean it cannot have a thrill ride... And indeed as she mentioned, what MAKES a thrill ride is all the eye of the beholder (great examples exist in Disney, especially with the likes of Rock n RollerCoaster and Tower of Terror, which would in many other parks be deemed as full out thrill rides with their launches, loops and massive drops, but Disney push them both towards the family market)...

"It's a pile of crap and doesn't perform" sound like similar comments made towards Slammer, a ride you were defending Thorpe for fixing up even though it's had a worse life than Rameses... Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others have to hate it as well (for the record, I haven't ridden Rameses in years, but I realise that it has a place at the park and having worked on it a few times it does get queues and is well received by its riders)...

We are really classing a ride that has the following points;

• Very high gravity-induced accelerations of up to 4 g
  • Vertical circular and swinging movements
  • Exciting loopings within a very small space

to NOT be a thrill ride? Just because the manufacturer doesn't mention it as being a 'thrill' ride doesn't automatically make it a family or kids ride... Indeed, let's look at the Intamin page for the Gyro Swing (Maelstrom at Drayton Manor)...

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/RoundRides/Gyro+Swing/tabid/141/ProductNumber/Gyro+Swing/language/de-DE/Default.aspx

The GYRO SWING is a powerful, extraordinary

experience that captures the attention of

passengers and spectators alike. The ride

combines a strong sense of anticipation with a

feeling that the rider can actually «fly». The

seating arrangement increases the ride sensation

significantly, as the passengers sit with their

legs dangling freely in the air. The swinging

pendulum motion, combined with a comfortable

speed of rotation – and most important of all –

the suspended seating arrangement, all produce

a sensational feeling of flying through space,

(up to a maximum height of almost 50 m). As

they pass through the vertical position the

passengers experience the thrill of increased

G-forces, but when they get to the top they

feel almost completely weightless.​

Doesn't mention being a thrill ride, guess it must be for kids then...

Ramases is ideal visually as a ride and as a spectator - it's good for CWOA to have a thrill ride of sorts, as it's a ride that youngsters may well ride "next time" or see their Dad/Mum/older sibling go on from afar.... the area Ramases sits in has an arena like quality to it, which I like!

The majority (I.e. 99% of other posts) are agreeing with Holly though... Like, just because Chessie isn't aimed at the thrill market doesn't mean it cannot have a thrill ride... And indeed as she mentioned, what MAKES a thrill ride is all the eye of the beholder (great examples exist in Disney, especially with the likes of Rock n RollerCoaster and Tower of Terror, which would in many other parks be deemed as full out thrill rides with their launches, loops and massive drops, but Disney push them both towards the family market)...

"It's a pile of crap and doesn't perform" sound like similar comments made towards Slammer, a ride you were defending Thorpe for fixing up even though it's had a worse life than Rameses... Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others have to hate it as well (for the record, I haven't ridden Rameses in years, but I realise that it has a place at the park and having worked on it a few times it does get queues and is well received by its riders)...

We are really classing a ride that has the following points;

• Very high gravity-induced accelerations of up to 4 g
  • Vertical circular and swinging movements
  • Exciting loopings within a very small space

to NOT be a thrill ride? Just because the manufacturer doesn't mention it as being a 'thrill' ride doesn't automatically make it a family or kids ride... Indeed, let's look at the Intamin page for the Gyro Swing (Maelstrom at Drayton Manor)...

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/RoundRides/Gyro+Swing/tabid/141/ProductNumber/Gyro+Swing/language/de-DE/Default.aspx

Doesn't mention being a thrill ride, guess it must be for kids then...

I can see little support for Holly in this. None for me either, but then I'm not winging for it.

As for my comments sounding similar to Slammer, you are wrong - they infact something completely the opposite. Yes, I defend Thorpe for fixing it and keeping it, because it's only 8 years old and is still settling in and warming up. And just because I hate Rameses, I don't campagin for others to hate it. You ride it if you wish, enjoy the ****ty experience it delivers.

And if a ride is the eye of the beholder, then that's personal opinion or preference. But Huss list it under classic rides for a reason. Therefore, not a thrill ride.

I can see little support for Holly in this. None for me either, but then I'm not winging for it.

As for my comments sounding similar to Slammer, you are wrong - they infact something completely the opposite. Yes, I defend Thorpe for fixing it and keeping it, because it's only 8 years old and is still settling in and warming up. And just because I hate Rameses, I don't campagin for others to hate it. You ride it if you wish, enjoy the ****ty experience it delivers.

And if a ride is the eye of the beholder, then that's personal opinion or preference. But Huss list it under classic rides for a reason. Therefore, not a thrill ride.

I am sorry but rameses is a THRILL ride, in my opinion anyway, just because huss list it as a 'classic' ride it does not mean it isn't a THRILL ride.

Rameses cycles are great, despite all the hate from it *cough* rideaddict *cough* I think the first cycle is very scary and intense and the second one is both fun and intense. I do think it is a THRILL ride and it is a great exciting ride with plenty to offer. I don't see how you can have so much hate for rameses and be so mean that you want to get rid of it :(

Huss have 3 ride categories on their website...

• Classic
  • Family
  • Giant

Amusingly enough, there's this in the Giant category...

http://www.hussrides.com/giant-rides/giant-top-spin.html

And other rides in the Classic category include...

http://www.hussrides.com/classic-rides/booster.html

http://www.hussrides.com/classic-rides/frisbee.html

http://www.hussrides.com/classic-rides/fly-away.html

http://www.hussrides.com/classic-rides/shotn-drop.html

That's quite a lot of thrill rides listed in the Classic category there... Huss can't have messed up their website THAT bad now can they?

Although of course I'm not going to stop you treating your opinion as fact (even after it being disproved by myself and others)...

As for Slammer, it's been open (redefining the term whilst at it) for 8 years... And has probably been shut more times than Rameses... Settling in is not a valid excuse for a ride that old (especially of a ride type where 2 were made and the other has been sent to the scrapheap)...

Not that you read the entirity of posts against you, otherwise you would have noticed I mentioned I don't ride Rameses myself, but also understanding it's role in the park at being the big and scary rides the younger visitors can either:

1. Aspire to ride
  2. Watch parents go round due to it's excellent role in visual ability

Whilst also being a popular attraction amongst the older side of the park's family demographic...

So Slammer's been closed more times in 8 years compared to Rameses' closures in 18 years.

Yet you forget how much more complicated Slammer's workings are.

Although of course I'm not going to stop you treating your opinion as fact (even after it being disproved by myself and others)...

You're doing just that, so stop ****-stirring and twisting words. If I said it's fact, it's fact. But I didn't say that so it's not.

Fact.

Hehe, you moan at me for twisting words, then naturally miss out that I said (with an air of tonuge in cheek of course) that Slammer had PROBABLY been down more than Rameses (although I would say it would be amusingly likely a situation, as Rameses' still has most of it's original manual untouched by post-its and appendices due to the botching of Slammer over the years)...

Where did I 'forget' how 'complicated' Slammer is? Because it uses compressed air cylinders (which are actually in the Engineering world, quite a simple system, since all the system does is pressurise the stored air, pushes it into another container via the ride) to raise and lower the paddles? (Of course, there are naturally a different level of issues with the pressurised air situation, but that's another story all together)...

Of course Rameses just uses both pneumatic and hydraulic systems within itself, with the additional joints connecting the arms and seating (changing from fixed to free positioning modes)... And I haven't even mentioned that all those components required motors to run (which of course, can't always cope and withstand the 8 hour a day 7 days a week 8 months of the year work they go through)...

So really, looking at it with my engineering hat on and degree in hand, Rameses is actually more complex a system due to the multitude of moving parts with differing workings (the aforementioned hydraulics AND pneumatics) it has in comparison to Slammer... How weird...

Author's Note - Unfortunately detailed information straight from the manufacturer's mouth is hard to come by on Slammer, since S&S stopped making the ride (and it's components) years ago... Of course it uses motors to power the ride's rotational aspect, but the majority of the workings is based upon the usage of pressured air to allow the ride to rise and fall into ride/loading positions...

On another note, so when is Thorpe getting their top spin then ;)

I love top spins personally and I think it needs to be at Chessie to balance the park out, I guess maybe I think this because it's really nostalgic for me. When Chessie stopped being the 'thrill park' it was the step up for me for Thorpe. I'll always remember the first time I remember riding it when I was 10 with half of my class from primary school and getting absolutely drenched. :wub:

On another note, so when is Thorpe getting their top spin then ;)

Rumour is next year, where Saw Alive is - along with the second Detonator drop tower being installed too :D

I've said before and I'll say it again - RR by myself on my birthday (as my gf was too scared to ride!) a few years back was absolutely epic. Loved it. I only got the bog standard rubbish then spinny cycle that it runs nowadays, but even so - people looking on whilst little old me rode by myself, fab!

And don't get me started on memories of RR being surrounded by dry ice and lasers back in the day on late night openings :wub:

PS. RR could be worse - it could have the dreaded steel rope of doom running from the top of it ;)