Rameses Revenge

Dan9

I'd like to know who this 'spokesman' was ;) Probably a hotel cleaner knowing Sky's slapdash approach to things.

So I am guessing Rameses Revenge will be SBNO now for the remainder of the year, maybe getting replaced in time for next season if we're lucky.

I really can't see it being repaired, it's just too past it. A new intense flat ride would be good in its place... They're really lacking in thrilling rides now!!

The main thing is when the ride failed, it failed in a safe state and nobody was hurt and everyone got off safely. So credit to Huss for the design of it keeping the guests safe. Why the technical services team couldn't release the guests I'm sure will be fully investigated. As for the ride breaking down, these things happen.

What is unacceptable is Chessington not having the ability to free and get the guests down for a ride they have owned for 20 years. No park should have to dial 999 when a ride breaks down.

There were some good pics and I loved the video of the fire fighters cutting out a guest filmed by another guest using their phone... tut tut

Now Chessington tend to give you the odd priority pass when things go wrong, this will bring the mother load of passes! :rolleyes:

It seems to be the issue of being completely unable to lower the ride down to ground position which is the issue - usually you can plug in a backup battery supply and move it down. The harnesses would've been able to open as you can then manually winch them open. However, they couldn't possibly have done this mid air.

Shame really, that pretty much guarantees Rameses down for months, if not all season or forever. It'll be mighty expensive purchasing new harnesses and T-Bars for 40 seats.

Unless they can get some cheap second hand parts from another ride which has been decommissioned, I find it hard to believe they will get new parts for this and it will go back in service.

After an incident like this, it is often best to remove the ride as guests loose faith in the ride being safe.

Very odd.

The brakes on the car are hydraulic, so when they fail due to a loss of power the car would just swing freely. But the pictures of firemen on the ride suggest the brakes are locked (unless they strapped the car to the main body to stop it swinging... Or there's a manual lock to stop it swinging).

The main arm is counterbalanced, powered by electric motors so again with a loss of power, it would just gradually descend ... Unless the balance is so precise that its perfectly balanced, which seems unlikely. In theory it would just swing down as Vortex does.

Seems more likely one of the motors seized, thus why it couldn't drop down. If its true they were cutting through restraints though, no chance it's opening tomorrow, which is odd as BBC is listing that too!

It's such a shame there is more bad news fr rameses revenge and as te ears go on the news sees it get progressively worse.

2001 people stuck upside down for 5 mins before being flipped upright for 20-30 mins before getting off

2006/2007 people were stuck at the top in te blazing heat for 3 hours (this year was also one of the hottest on record) but they got them down in the end just couple had to go hospital for dehydration.

2013 cut out restraints - poor rameses

Chessie is getting such a bad rep this year, and after all that effort building it up a reputation 09/10/11 were some of the best seasons it's gone majorly downhill again. Just hope chessie will pull it off again in the long run

Can't see it opening for a long time (if at all this year)...

It's just funny now that all this crap is happening to Chessie this year, next thing you know Vampire will throw more bolts off itself, another Fury platform will collapse and Alex the lion will get set on fire...

I'm quite sure Rameses has a manual locking mechanism for such emergency issues...

I'm sure as well if Chessie could have lowered the ride then they would have, why would any park want the fire services there aside from a last resort?

Maybe they could get Talocan in then instead? Can watch that rot instead...

I'm quite sure Rameses has a manual locking mechanism for such emergency issues...

I'm sure as well if Chessie could have lowered the ride then they would have, why would any park want the fire services there aside from a last resort?

Maybe they could get Talocan in then instead? Can watch that rot instead...

Oh yes agreed, just trying to work out what the issue was, seeing as press and punters seemed to originally report a power loss :)

Maybe it'll be deemed too scary for Chessington and be moved to Thorpe Park ;)

Or sadly, maybe thats it for Rameses Revenge :(

These top spins have had years of heavy use so it's not surprising to see this happening. Much as I'm not a massiv fan of them, I can't see how they can replace it with anything else, that whole area is designed around the spectator opportunities of a top spin, the shape of the pit is top spin shaped. I think the area would lose something with any other ride.

I don't know enough about the cost of fixing this to know what will happen to Rameses, but I hope a Top Spin of some form will still remain in that location. It would be difficult to get another ride in that space as it has been landscaped perfectly for a Top Spin.

To take a more positive spin on the situation (Haha... Spin... Get it!?) if the park were to replace Rameses with another top spin, maybe they could operate it on a better setting!

Angela M says...

3:05pm Mon 17 Jun 13

Rameses Revenge is a horrible ride - I almost slipped out of the harness a few years ago. It's very old and should probably be replaced anyway.

Stupid people make me smile.

Someone must have some pics of the damage? It is not really possible to hide that ride!

Not quite, noob. Boneshaker was a HUSS 1001 Nights (Boneshaker's original name if I remember correctly), whilst Wipeout in that video is a Zamperla Windshear. They're often confused because they're all very similar in operation and ride experience. Not a fan of the Top-Spin but never ridden a Windshear. I doubt they're as spectacular as they look. Quite like the Topple Tower, they're much more engaging as a spectator.