Tidal Wave

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

I went on it once, it was great, but jesus christ it was WET. When I say, wet. I mean it. Never EVER again would I go back on it.Although, I would rethink my opinions if it was a super hot day, or more importantly, if the effects came back. Never seen it with fully working effects, and would love to have a look. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I have just read this on Wikipedia about Bubbleworks:

Since it was re-themed in 2006, the ride has been sponsored by the Cusson's toiletries company. This was a joint-deal with The Flume, a log flume, at Alton Towers which received its sponsorship in 2004, and Tidal Wave, a flume ride at nearby Thorpe Park.
In all these years I've never heard of Tidal Wave being sponsored by Cussons. Was it a plan that was canned?

Exactly - the past sponsorships the ride has had have been better.

What's the worst that can happen?

I've found all the sponsporships on Tidal Wave to be okay. The current Dr. Pepper, though against the theme a bit, isn't exactly in your face or ruins anything about the ride (in my experience).

Bet it will one day.

Why? Because in a world of a theme park, where rides are themed and are meant to display immersive experiences, having a product brand which has bugger all to do with said theme or immersion should not be happening. I don't want Dr Pepper sponsoring a tidal wave cos "it's for the lols/whats the worse that can happen marketing bullcrap".

I can't see much effort going in to the removal of all the Dr Pepper styled "Stand here, what's the worst that can happen" paintings on the paths and roof in the Splash area. I bet they will stay there slowly fading away until everyone forgets about them.

5040623337_bfcaa00544_z.jpg

I hope they take down that tacky plastic widow with all the Dr Pepper stuff over it in the middle of the queue though.

Aren't they supposed to be bringing the fire back this year?? Maybe they'll generally clean it up if they're going to the effort of doing the fire?

That damn fire effect, I'm fed up with hearing about that now! Not a dig at you Inferno, but I'm just generally bored of it.

But the colours on the current Dr Pepper sponsorship look cool IMO, and I agree that window has to go. When is the sponsorship finished?

Bet it will one day.

Why? Because in a world of a theme park, where rides are themed and are meant to display immersive experiences, having a product brand which has bugger all to do with said theme or immersion should not be happening. I don't want Dr Pepper sponsoring a tidal wave cos "it's for the lols/whats the worse that can happen marketing bullcrap".

Original Source was more of a relevant sponsor. If Bubbleworks hadn't gone down the soap route, then Dr Pepper would suit it for a few years.

Knowing Merlin they would be too lazy to take down the Sponsorship like on the Bubbleworks for example.

Yes, probably but surely leaving it up is a breach of contract unless they've got permission?

Original Source was more of a relevant sponsor. If Bubbleworks hadn't gone down the soap route, then Dr Pepper would suit it for a few years.

Sponsorship is about money and advertising, it is not done for the benefit of the theme, at all. Tidal Wave was given a specific theme design, and sponsor deals have significantly undermined that design by adding their own slant to the ride. Tidal Wave has become more "naked" since its sponsors, who have covered over theming details, added pointless signposts and repainted large parts of the ride in their own corporate colours, resulting in a messy theme (made worse by the lack of care for all the original effects).

And the BubbleWorks sponsorship was just to get some money to refurbish downgrade the ride and advertise it as new. It was a blatant effort to cut costs by taking out all the animatronics, not to find a "suitable" sponsor.

Yes, probably but surely leaving it up is a breach of contract unless they've got permission?

Not really, breach of contract would be to remove the stickers before a certain time.

It's not merlin though, don't blame merlin (the only thing merlin has done is force the removal of majority of fanta sponsorship for oblivion). Towers contract with cussons ended exact same time as Bubbleworks - they went to the effort of removing and replacing all the signage, leaving a generic bathtime themed ride. It's only chessington to blame for not bothering to remove or replace anything.