Tidal Wave

Harry

As for the Twitter account question, I have to disagree with Ryan. Although the people behind it are not park staff or management, they will more often than not have correct information. I really don't think you should ignore everything they say.

They have to reason to lie about Tidal Wave. 

Unless they haven't actually been told that it's closed, which is entirely plausible. I'm sorry but I've seen it so often this year where the Twitter account has got it completely wrong, I just can't trust them any more.

Unless they haven't actually been told that it's closed, which is entirely plausible. I'm sorry but I've seen it so often this year where the Twitter account has got it completely wrong, I just can't trust them any more.

It is entirely plausible, yes, however do we have any solid evidence that the park plan to close it anyway?

Quite a shame if true. People seem to enjoy tidal as a cold wet challenge / aren't we wild and crazy statement through frighnights. I always think it stays surprisingly busy late in the year.

The very action of the boats going round making the waves creates atmosphere in the heart of the park, always feels like something is missing from the atmosphere when tidal isn't running, it's very big obvious SBNO.

Quite a shame if true. People seem to enjoy tidal as a cold wet challenge / aren't we wild and crazy statement through frighnights. I always think it stays surprisingly busy late in the year.

The very action of the boats going round making the waves creates atmosphere in the heart of the park, always feels like something is missing from the atmosphere when tidal isn't running, it's very big obvious SBNO.

That would be the biggest issue for me, especially the atmosphere at Fright Nights as it's lit up well usually.

I still go on it at Fright Nights, and so do plenty others.

It's fairly obvious they need to cut costs after what's happened this year, I'm just glad it's something like Tidal wave and not a ride that will actually generate queues at Fright Nights. Also as has been said earlier in the topic, Tidal Wave is not cheap to run and it's probably their best way of saving money IMO.

With how busy the park was last year, I'd say that they already make enough money at Fright Nights without cuts.

Cutting the park's budget by closing rides is not the way to restore faith in parks, they need to be aiming for guest satisfaction at the moment IMO.

No, but it has been closed all day today.

Could it not be that they have encountered a technical issue with the ride and have decided to close it now so it's back up and running for FN?

I find it hard to believe that it will be closed for the rest of the season when the social media team are saying otherwise.

Oh so Samurai is re-open then is it? Vortex was also closed this weekend, so that's two without even considering breakdowns.

The ridership is irrelevant, people still go on it so it should be open. They have also replied to people's Tweets saying "all rides will be open at Fright Nights" which is a downright lie if this is true.

Samurai and Vortex are clearly unplanned closures.

Ridership is relevant if its costing ample of amounts of money to run the thing to please a small amount of people. This whole conversation could be irrelevant anyway if it just happens to be closed for a few days before Fright Nights kicks in. It's just amusing seeing how worked up you seem to get over it. And yet you still visit so you clearly aren't that bothered about it

This is an excellent point.  Tidal Wave is in the centre of the park and is a very memorable thing to look at.  It features heavily during advertising and on merchandise, so it's a big part of Thorpe.  Of course, the question that Thorpe have to ask themselves is if it's worth keeping it open when they need to minimise loss so much.  Everyone will want the answer to be 'Keep it open', but that may not necessarily be what happens.

I still go on it at Fright Nights, and so do plenty others.

How do you define plenty in this situation?  Given there's 17 Fright Nights dates and they'll probably see over 150,000 guests (just a guess, but could easily be a lot more?) over those dates, are enough people really riding it to warrant its expensive running costs right now?

With how busy the park was last year, I'd say that they already make enough money at Fright Nights without cuts.

At the moment, the thing for Merlin is surely about minimising loss, not making money?