Rita

Dan9

The budget allocated to this always was going to be low and if anything the park have scraped more to spend on this tunnel than they would have been provided with before the events of 2015 (hence there scaffold was kept there instead of a permanent structure in the first place). No one is asking the world, it's just appalling that a company that constantly prides itself on being "second to Disney" and whose priority as a business is now 'to overtake Disney within the next few years', choose not to give Alton Towers the cap ex needed to properly sort problems like this and they've really gone for the cheapest passable option possible with this wooden thing, like all their design choices riddled throughout their parks.

They've always thought of second to Disney as in visitor numbers and not experiences. At least that is how it used to be portrayed and based on how their paint jobs and annual pass days have gone this year, this is definitely still the impression portrayed. Thing is for me, Rita's wooden fencing is hardly the most offensive thing they've done. The bland paint jobs are far worse then this.

The scaffolding is there for H&S reasons. What would you prefer? The scaffolding or no Rita. I shall let you decide.

In my opinion, the fences look good and a  nice way for towers to hide the queue length.

To be fair - I'm sure H&S do not state the structure must be scaffolding, they will just state they want that area covered. 

• 4 months later...
On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 8:11 PM, Celia Mae said:

10th March: "We'll have vines growing over the top in a few weeks!"

30th July: I present to you... vines.

FB_IMG_1469905609395.jpg

FB_IMG_1469905603083.jpg

Photos courtesy of TowersStreet

They've been there since last Monday I'm pretty sure.

On 30/07/2016 at 8:11 PM, Celia Mae said:

10th March: "We'll have vines growing over the top in a few weeks!"

30th July: I present to you... vines.

FB_IMG_1469905609395.jpg

FB_IMG_1469905603083.jpg

Photos courtesy of TowersStreet

Vines? They look like huge, green twigs that have been stuck to a fence...

But it's Rita, no one really cares ^_^

At least we can be grateful it's not scaffolding though...

• 10 months later...

As part of Rita takeover week, Alton Towers have released the playlist for Thunder Rock Rally Radio which used to boom out over Ug Land back in 2005. Enjoy!
https://open.spotify.com/user/altontowersresort/playlist/3S5cM4zhvXT0IPuBECREwl

I have made an iTunes version too:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/playlist/thunder-rock-rally-radio/idpl.e75d7dd3360e495c9a2d7f7fde0dcc58

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bump this thread after nearly 5 years of inactivity, but I was just wondering; have Towers done something to Rita in recent years? I only ask because I had a period of 4.5 years without riding Rita (between 2016 and 2020) because of how rough it was and how little I liked it, but when I rerode it in 2020, I thought it was brilliant, and way, way smoother than I'd ever remembered.

I've had 4 rides post-2020, in both the purple and blue trains, and none of them have been overly rough at all, which I find really interesting. I would even dare to say that my most recent rides, in September 2021, were really quite smooth; my front row ride was honestly hardly any rougher than Icon at BPB, with only a very slight rattle, and even the ride I had in row 8 straight after only had a touch more of a rattle to it; nothing that majorly detracted from the ride at all. The ride literally didn't hurt in the slightest, and I'd have happily gone round a few times! And while I still wouldn't say they were a favourite of mine, I also didn't mind the restraints too much, in spite of remembering hating them years prior.

Most interestingly of all, I rode Rita and Stealth within a week of each other in September 2021, and I would have said that my 2 rides on Rita were considerably smoother and more enjoyable than any of my 3 rides on Stealth; whereas Rita only had a slight rattle at worst, Stealth was really bouncing about quite horribly going up and down the top hat on all 3 rides, and I came off it with somewhat of a headache all 3 times I rode. Given that Rita is far more notorious for roughness than Stealth, I find that really interesting...

Not to mention that while Stealth's launch is more forceful and the airtime on the top hat is fantastic, Rita has a more extensive layout which is surprisingly exciting in places; I'd never noticed before, but there are a couple of surprisingly strong ejector moments on Rita that really throw you out of your seat! Even though it's so hated, and even I once hated it, I've really been enjoying Rita lately, and I'd also say that while I prefer Rita of the two, both of the Dark Forest Intamins are rides that I enjoy more than most.

Does anyone know if Rita's had anything done? And do you agree with me about it?

• 3 weeks later...