Rita

Dan9

• 2 weeks later...

If you come from the right direction you get a nice view of the park, and you can see the likes of rita, th13teen and oblivion in the trees. All these rides have elements of them painted a different colour to comply with the planning permission.

Anyone know why Rita is running limited capacity at the mo? Demand was high on tuesday (60 minute queue) but they were only using 1 train for the whole day whilst other park operations where fantastic.

• 1 month later...

To be fair, it was probably one of their journalists.

In all seriousness though, I can't see that happening because it hasn't been massively covered. I read that in one Facebook post from someone who was on the station platform waiting at the time. And if they do write an article, surely it can't be negative as the staff spotted it and stopped anything from happening.

That's not entirely true, it's just on certain models you can only release seats by car, not the whole train. 

In example in the case of a th13teen evacuation each seat is done individually, and on Colossus they do it by car.

I'm not sure about Rita but it'll be very rare it's the whole train, especially if it has an MCBR, for safety and evac purposes.

I always thought the belt was there incase the hydrolic mechanism holding the restraints down failed for some reason, to stop the restraint from opening mid-ride.

Ignoring the fact for a second that any good dead man's switch should be the other way (failure should be in the locked position).

are seatbelts even a failsafe though?..

I've seen a fairgroud ride with seatbelts saying they do not attribute towards the safety they're just there for riders peace of mind.

And heard on Nemesis Inferno that they're there at a designed length to ensure that if the seatbelt doesn't do up, the restraint isn't far down enough and the ride shouldn't be sent.

But it's still stupid to undo the seatbelt regardless, if alton towers enforce it as an extra safety measure.

It is a mix. If no rides had ever had seatbelts then there would be no lack of confidence. It's just weird going from loads of rides having them then going on something like Saw which has none. The seatbelts (at least at the beginning) had a purpose. You wouldn't stick them on when designing something if they were irrelevant. Money, weight. All adds up. 

They definitely aren't a fail safe, they have hardly any strength in them. On Colossus they are a good indicator that the seat is actually locked as the computer requests. Seatbelt in they know it's locked, without it in the computer will pick up it isn't far enough down (thus why they can't just put extendible seat belts anywhere). 

Then on some rides they are used for evac purposes. On Inferno which releases a whole row or two it allows the staff to keep people in their seats or stop the bar coming all the way up when they're busy dealing with the first person. Whereas Saw has a little box that they plug into the car to release seats individually so seatbelts aren't needed in that situation. 

• 5 months later...

Yay lets all celebrate at the removal of something that should never have been there in the first place and it only took them years and years to remove it because this is the new standard we have come to accept. Yes its good its gone but it counts for nothing as they are the ones who put it there. Towers are a joke. 

I agree that the scaffolding was up for far too long and it should have only been up for a few months as a temporary measure, but it's nice to see that AT listen to feedback and change things for the better, even if it takes much longer than it should do in some cases.

• 2 weeks later...