Rita

Dan9

Rough, uncomfortable, whatever.It hurts.Obviously not compared to vekoma coasters such as SM M2 and Viper at SFMM (which I found to be the most painful experience of my entire life except breaking my arm falling off a trampoline once :unsure:), but still rough. Plus it's not the restraint system or indeed my height as I don't find Stealth rough hurts me.Opinion, not slagging off, I still like Rita.

Maybe we just differ in our perception is what "rough" is. You could have a smooth as silk coaster that may be somewhat uncomfortable for certain riders, due to the restraint system. This, for me, doesn't make the coaster "rough" - more, badly designed.A rough coaster would be along the lines of Stampida, or Goudurix (which, by the way I agree with Benin that it's roughness is somewhat overrated - although it is bad) - which results in the wheels coming off and on the rails.I do not believe this is the case with Rita.EDIT - Stealth won't hurt because it has no corners taken at speed, therefore your body is not thrown within the restraint at all. Cheetah Hunt is going to be an awful ride for some of you guys then by the looks of it! Same restraints as Rita and Stealth, but with inversions and way more corners!

You haven't considered that some rides might be rough because of the restraint system. Maybe Benin is too skinny for the restraints and therefore makes the ride rough and hurt?

It's the neck things... I'm at such a height where the thin-ness of them really smack into me and it's painful...As I said, I found Maverick rough due to the restraints...Those restraints don't corner well... Simple as... A ride's roughness can also be based on how the restraints handle... Even some B&M's are rough (usually stand-ups because they are appauling)... In fact, restraints play a massive part in the ride's comfort zone, why else would people say Vekoma's with the new system have improved drastically? Roughness is not limited to wheels and kinks and other stuff...

Just want to add, slightly off topic, I know, but Cheetah Hunts restraints aren't the same as other Intamin ones. They are prototype restraints made from silicone, padding the neck area. This was mentioned on Busch Gardens Tampa's Facebook.Rita hurts in a couple of spots, nothing too offensive though. :unsure:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

You know, I still reckon that my first ride on Rita was the most impactful first ride on any coaster I have ever had.Of course, the ride has since dropped down my own personal rankings, but it really did make one hell of an impression on me back in May 2005.I had never experienced sheer adrenalin, like I did the first time I was launched on that coaster. I had never done an Intamin Accelerator before and it truly took my breath away.I remember getting to the end, out of breath, and declaring the most crazy rollercoaste ever ridden.How times change :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That's strange because my last ride on Rita (22nd May) was soo smooth and great! Their was the odd jolt once but it wasn't painful at all compared the my other rides on it, it was even more smoother than... Nemesis on that day! :blush: I think Rita was the best ride of the day (apart from Oblivion but that doesn't need to be told its the best ;))

It is the only coaster that actually hurts me to the point I really don't look forward to it, but that is from the restraints and not necessarily from roughness coming from the track other than the jolt into the first turn. The pain it inflicts to the front of my shoulders is strong and constant for the whole duration.

This only became a problem for me from some time last year, I don't know if that is because my body shape has changed, or is something different on the ride now?

I'm not too keen on rita, it's a bit of fun when there's no queue but it's bumpiness, roughness (I have been on worse, a lot worse but this could still be smoother), shortness and the fact that it's not very thrilling means that I'm not that fussed about it. I would rather be riding THI3TEEN next to it! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love Rita, in fact I'd say it was my second favourite coaster at Alton Towers. I've found that if you put your head forward and leave your arms in the air, the rough spots aren't too bad (not that I even notice them TBH).

It should be interesting seeing how this compares to Stealth when I go in a few weeks.