Scorpion Express

Dan9

I'm still wondering if we'll see the return of those amazing Abdab models ;)

AbDab may have been a slimy greedy thief but he didn't deserve to sit outside for years slowly peeling apart. Silly billy, I hope he's been put back in storage, or sold off to haunt somebody's attic forever, or enjoying a holiday to Egypt or something.

My favourite thing about this is we can finally do a proper true comparison of the two rides we've always really wanted to compare.

Flying Fish Vs Scorpion Express.

Which one looks worse now than in it's original state?

I personally hope Scorpion has a half built pond also!

Pond/Swamp or flower bed... what is frustrating is in some parts of the parks the gardeners do a fantastic job at keeping it looking very presentable, but the middle of the Fish is a good example of where it is not done too well. But with Scorpion, I guess they will have a good plastic liner to keep out the weeks and sand/gravel on to to 'theme' it and make it very low maintenance.

Had an assement interview the other day at Chessington, and I can confirm that NOTHING major has changed on RMT!

The flat (yes totally flat) queueline roof (that seems to situated in the pathway beside the childrens zoo, and leads into the old underground tunnel section of the old queue/inbetween the second helex) is slowly going up..

Bland B&Q style decking on the load platform is in and the building that was once hidden by the rocks has been painted a smoky red colour.

The surrounding flats arent installed, and the whole thing looks exactly the same and open as it did most of last season. I know, I know that it's not finished, but it's not looking good!

Other interesting discoveries was that no vertical signs of the new hotel and hearing that NOTHING is changing on falls. That too will be the same bare mess. So much for re-delelopment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That just sums up Chessington these days, overhype, no effort or any signs of originality.

I never had high expectations on this retheme and if this is the case with no rock work or immersive theming elements, it will just be a plain and slightly boring powered coaster.

Chessington had the opportunity to make 2014 their own, but it sounds like they've blown it, at least from fanboy prospect. Even the flying fish is more exciting than a rock less mine train and though the current ride is not as good as the original, it's looking better now that shrubbery is growing around the ride area.n

As for the hotel, I can't see them opening until mid summer at the very earliest.

I'm not at all happy about this.

Chessington really has gone down the pan in my opinion. Runaway Train used to be good because, although the ride hardware isn't that good, the rocks really made it special.

Merlin coming in, ripping it down then not replacing it is ruining Chessington in my opinion. They pride themselves in being a themed experience - in 5 years there won't be any theming left if they continue this way!

I'm sure they could more than afford to re-build the rockwork - look at how BPB restored the facade on Valhalla.

If Rameses Revenge isn't back this year then I don't think I'll bother visiting.

Appalling.

It does shock me the actions of Merlin sometimes. I know it's not yet finished but their history may speak for itself, it won't be just fanboys moaning this time round. I can see a lot of members of the GP saying "What happened to the mine train ride?", "Isn't this meant to be made new?". I don't know about you but my friends and family are quite observant and these kind of details affect whether they bother coming back, if they see little is being invested for the price they are expected to fork over to get in. They always use BOGOF but there is always the obligatory "OH MY GOD, FULL PRICE COSTS HOW MUCH?"comments when they look at the tariffs board.

Really am hoping that we see some sort of "surprise" when it opens because Merlin will have done themselves no favours if not...

RMT was my first coaster (I know it is powered but meh) - the rocks really added to the experience of it all and made the ride seemed tight and compact - feeling a tad dissapointed but guess I cant judge until seeing it for myself. Really hope Rameses is back this year

Doesn't surprise me at all. Even when you give them the benefit of the doubt, they find ways to disappoint you. Merlins best UK project this year is a dodgems and a rethemed Detonator. That literally says it all.

^^ YES!

I thought we were told explicitly that the reason it was closed all year was so it could be easily accessed so things could actually be done over the open season and be all ready for this year?

If the work for RMT or the Hotel has barely begun, what's the point in them evening opening in March? You would think over 3 months of closed season they would have something vertical for the Hotel at the very least...

It actually is pathetic from the southern Merlin parks this year... Hell I think CBeebies Land is gonna be the only good UK investment this year...

Where's my passport?

The park has barely been closed for 2 months! There is still another 2 months to go so something might happen? Maybe the stormy weather has been an issue, don't want to but new themeing in and then the wind and rain destroy it before it opens! They havve already done work on Market Square over the first few closed months

I disagree with everyone slagging off Thorpe and Alton - I mean come on, you can't say Alton is going down the pan when the Smiler has only just opened. Same for Thorpe as well, they are investing! They've been developing non-stop for years now. They can't add a major attraction every year!

I do agree with the complaints about Chessington though. It is pathetic.

Can't get angry at Chessie anymore, it's purely expected. All my anger for the place was expelled about this time last year.

Only thing they've seemingly managed to do over winter is reroof something and burn something else down. Literally sounds just like normal for that place.

Also, hello TraX. I love winter purely to see your informative posts again!

I disagree with everyone slagging off Thorpe and Alton - I mean come on, you can't say Alton is going down the pan when the Smiler has only just opened. Same for Thorpe as well, they are investing! They've been developing non-stop for years now. They can't add a major attraction every year!

I do agree with the complaints about Chessington though. It is pathetic.

As far as I can tell, no one is slagging off Alton Towers and Thorpe.

That's not slagging off Thorpe and Alton really though is it. For a start neither of those quotes slag off Alton and secondly, a dodgems shouldn't be the most exciting thing Merlin are adding to their parks in 2014, but it is. A bunch of charming rides at Alton being smeared with IP's but thats about all they are really doing.

Maybe it's me, but am I the only one who thinks we may not see Runaway Train Aka Scorpion Express reopen at the park til June, even if it is still rockless as they really are taking their time on this retheme considering they had all of the 2013 season to fix this.

Chessington really have become lazy, dull and unimaginative recently, except for Wild Asia.

So apparently slagging off Merlin for being rather uninspired with their additions this year is slagging off the parks directly?

Maybe if the parks were actually being improved on an overall basis year in year out across the board, then such low level additions could be ignored... Indeed, both parks are doing well to add such things, Towers improving a rather empty family area, Thorpe adding family stuff, the choice of IPs on both states the way of the current industry more than anything, as imagination appears to be dead...

Is it wrong for us to want our parks to really push the boat out year in, year out with additions? We're not expecting coasters every year, but for me personally, I want to see the park's improve on their appearances, performances and ability to bring in guests based on how good the day out and experience is... New stuff helps, but it's the retention of guests that should be the focus... Thorpe had the right idea but the addition of Angry Birds as an IP (as I've said) shows a level of desperation for the instant returns desired by Merlin...

Indeed, short termism and an abundance of unimaginative additions beyond coasters is not helping our parks in any way shape or form...

I don't think the current negative attitude towards Merlin is due to us having unreasonably high new attraction expectation. It's due to all the downgrading that's been going on. We're seeing themeing getting taken down and either minimally replaced or not replaced at all. Throughputs for ride's are getting slower and slower. Too many attractions closed in a single season and yet tickets prices are raised.
Towards the end of this year there was less to do, the peak time throughput of rides was painful and they respond by making the hotel bigger? It's a size 11 in the face to the customers really.