London Eye

Cringle

The British Airways London Eye has been under tussauds ruling for quite a while now, and its no different with our new daddymerlin.Giving us fantastic views of our beloved capital, the london eye - constructed for the millenium - has been a massive success and one of londons's top attraction. Situated on the southbank, its in prime position to see all the famous landmarks for a bird eye view. Dont forget to visit - its now included in your annual pass.Go, fly with the london eye. Discuss!

• 2 years later...

I'm looking at going to the London Eye soon, I have a merlin pass but my friend doesn't. Can I just turn up on the day and buy a ticket? Or would it be better to buy a ticket for her online first?What are the queuing times like if you book tickets online, or if you buy tickets on the day?Many thanks :P

I'm looking at going to the London Eye soon, I have a merlin pass but my friend doesn't. Can I just turn up on the day and buy a ticket? Or would it be better to buy a ticket for her online first?What are the queuing times like if you book tickets online, or if you buy tickets on the day?Many thanks :P

Now this is certainly a topic I can go on about for a while :P Although this could be placed elsewhere in the forum (Other Attractions?) I'm sure if wanted someone will...Regardless, you can indeed buy a ticket on the day (for £17.95), and depending on what time/day/etc you go the busyness will indeed vary...I don't think the queues will be exceptionally long at this time of year, although ticket queuing is the main issue (especially with it being half term next week, so could be very busy indeed), so if you want to avoid that (and say money) buy online, just remember if you do not print the ticket off at home you WILL have to collect your pre-booked tickets indoors before heading into the actual queue... A VERY important thing I cannot stress enough to you... The ticket collection is next door to the main ticket sales where the shiny bridge is...Don't forget to see the 4-D show... Gives the staff something to do...EDIT - Just looking on the MAP site, be aware you cannot use it on the 30th/31st... Which is... Annoying as I was planning on going Saturday :P

Thanks :P I'm probably going next tuesday or wednesday, so it would probably be best to buy a ticket online. Would this cut the queueing?

Only the ticket queue... Unless you buy Fast-track, you queue in the regular queue...But don't rush and get that yet, since the normal queue is max 20 minutes, and when the extension is open it only goes up to 30...So when you pick up (or have your printed at home) ticket, you head straight to the regular queue where there'll be two very cold looking people no doubt... :P

• 2 months later...

I assume its merlin's job but I must say, the London Eye was looking spectacular last night, the new lighting is great. Much better than last year :P I also like the fact the display had music this year. Does Merlin organise the fireworks?

As far as I'm aware Merlin has nothing to do with the fireworks. The display is always organised by a company hired by either the Westminster Council or the UK Government. I reckon they just pay Merlin for use of the eye etc. It did look absolutely amazing, but being a massive fan of firework displays it had major downfalls in long pauses, music that was random and fireworks were not in time with said music etc oh and the whole fact they were 3 seconds early :P

Basic jist is a 3 year sponsorship of the attraction which will be added as the place goes into a quick rehab period... I guess we'll find out how well Purple and Orange go together...

The Colours are all changing they will match the EDF colours of Orange and Blue. More information will be realeased over the next 2 weeks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm happy to say, The London Eye is now known as just that - The London Eye!

Bye bye EDF Energy (and you're garnish colours/disgusting sponsorship) and welcome back the rich purples and classy colours etc...thank god!

Here's the new site (click) ...not much new there yet, but nice to see it returning to the post-BA image/style.

That logo has returned too, just without "The Merlin Entertainments" bit:
2jbv66x.jpg
Not long before the dreaded coke takes over though...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well if you are a company and suddenly have to give a wage rise to all your workers by a crazy amount you would be bankrupt pretty quickly. Our recovery is based on everyone having a job rather than a load of unemployed while some people have better paying jobs. So yes it may be a voluntary scheme but I don't feel those which haven't signed up to it should be demonised. Merlin could be paying them £6.50 however they are not. If they wanted to pay their workers £9.50 then they could but that would either eat into merlins profits (never going to happen) or they could lay off workers so others get a small pay rise.

Don't get snippy there.. ;)

I was just wondering, I didn't know the London min wage was optional.

To me it's always a sign when the theme parks have such a huge turn over of staff, the standards always go up and down. It would be better to see some of those jobs better paid to keep staff there, and rid of the 0 hour contracts.

But thanks for clearing up! Back on topic then...

Don't get snippy there.. ;)

I was just wondering, I didn't know the London min wage was optional.

To me it's always a sign when the theme parks have such a huge turn over of staff, the standards always go up and down. It would be better to see some of those jobs better paid to keep staff there, and rid of the 0 hour contracts.

But thanks for clearing up! Back on topic then...

95% of jobs are not zero hour contracts and 50% of the people on them want to be on them. Zero hour contracts are not a problem, lots of people like them e.g students as they allow more work in holidays if normally they only work weekends. Next time a politician gives an argument maybe you should check the statistics behind the ridiculous claim.

I dont mean that as a rant just towards you, I'm just fed up of people using it as an argument.

(Ill try get back on topic and leave the politics out of it from now)