London Dungeons

Cringle

Rumours at the moment over Vengeance is that it won't be moving to new London Dungeons but may be moved to another Merlin Attraction, I'm guessing another Dungeons but is it possible to see Vengeance be moved to one of the theme parks..? If so, I'm thinking a certain theme park beginning with C may get it ;)

Btw Thorpe Management, should you wish to use this idea, please send all royalty payments to my offshore bank account...

Via Western Union Transfer ;)

Infact this has got me thinking back to one of the sheets of concept from the ECC trip...

Posted Image

Could be some sort of encounter with captured Swarm Aliens within some sort of government compound that goe's wrong? (trying to brush simularities with Terra aside :P )

Is no one else worried it will be ruined?

Even if they were to close dungeons and move it to

The new location, which they obviously won't, they'd have to redo most of it to fit the new space.

And no one is worried about the quality level, or the fact that a lot of the charm and theming us the pre existing building? The damp brick arches above.

Has anyone done blackpool's? I've not, so I can't comment on the standard, but is be curious to know if its up to that of the London dungeons. I somehow doubt.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to be proven wrong, but imagine the dungeons will lose a load of it's character and atmosphere during this move. They are currently a dungeons attractions housed in dungeons, they are going to be a dungeons attraction housed in something made to look like dungeons. There's a big big difference and it will be hard to get right.

Plans are approved, but not everyone is happy with it. Also seems it is at the request of Network Rail, rather than Merlin actually wanting to move.

Agreed, it's going to lose its charm by not being at London Bridge. The Dungeons IS London Bridge! The place has character, plus the sound of the trains above you adds a nice touch. The first time I went there I thought it was a sound effect!

Of course I understand the reasons behind the move, but still, it will be a shame :(

I wonder what date in December it will close? It's a while away, I know, but we need to make sure we do our winter meet before it's closed/moves! :o

Also, closing in December and opening in January is totally unachievable if everything is to be relocated and both attractions are going to operate fully at all times.

I'd say options are:

- A massively staggered opening and/or closing with lots of stuff missing towards the end of London Bridge and at the start of County Hall.

- A lot of stuff not making the move at all and being replaced with a new version or lost entirely.

Probably actually be a combination of the two. What do you think we will see go?

Lot of stuff won't be moving most likely (Extremis won't be for example, different system at the Hall site), and the post Christmas time isn't the most busiest (Eye sees most refurb during this time)...

They'll stagger the opening but it won't be too much of an issue...

I think it would be a fantastic idea if the proposed move goes ahead and it would be brilliant if this Dungeons was the flagship and therefore had the most attractions and best experiences and biggest of them all.

In Amsterdam, there's this Grim Reaper rollercoaster at the Dungeons and I'd love to see an indoor-dark rollercoaster at the Dungeons and obviously it would be a sizable installment and well-themed.

This is true, not sure about now much space but this offers a chance to fix up some of the rooms and maybe add new stuff.

I agree, I didn't like the old Dungeons because it seemed too cramped and there was waiting on the pavement outside and the attractions exterior IMO, didn't look as presentable as it could be. With the County Hall, it looks bigger and wider and as Rattlesnake1 says, it would hopefully allow them to expand and improve the themeing and presentation.

I mean, having a few, new attractions and more freedom and space to breathe would be beneficial and in addition, the close proximity to the other two attractions would allow for easier travelling than compared to having to travel to two separate locations.

The point of a dungeon is it being somewhat cramped though? It's not the London Caverns.

If they use the space to add more attractions, then great. But each space should be cramped and tight, that's kind of the point. It's going to be hard/impossible to 'improve the themeing' by coming out of an actual dungeon into a fake one.

They're not in a dungeon - they're in railway arches - aka caverns. :)

However, they can create a feeling of claustrophobia whilst still having more room for behind the scenes effects.

The fact it'll be on three floors is very exciting - and we will get a lift to go down (which Merlin will probably classify as a ride!)

I am all for a move; it's about time they got a complete re-fit, and the new location may mean longer opening hours. Dungeon open until 10pm in the summer, please!

The point of a dungeon is it being somewhat cramped though? It's not the London Caverns.

Fair point, but have you been in the refitted Jack the Ripper pub scene? Try closing the door in a big group. The current site is really struggling with the capacity required. Also, the 'charm' can easily be recreated. Hopefully this means a better queueing system for getting in and a better tour. The current tour really has some outdated scenery and shows. The newer dungeons around the country have been getting very positive reviews.

The tour is outdated and not really fit for purpose. Moving it to south bank would be full of win for everyone. Refreshed scenes, new experiences, better capacity holding, closer to other merlin stuff...

Will have to do dungeons twice this winter, just to say goodbye and hello!

Also, the 'charm' can easily be recreated.

10 years ago, sure. Today? Really? I just don't think we're going to see the level of money required going into this.

Though I agree with all the general positivity. It's a great move for the attraction and a chance to provide a new lease of life to something which is, currently, a one off sort of attraction. Maybe this will spur a lot of people to go who have been fairly recently?

Varney has said that the Dungeon is his favourite of all the attractions... the London Dungeon will be in the public eye once this move happens - so they will happily fling money at it to make it the flagship attraction in a world class tourist centre. Let's not forget it will be right opposite The London Eye - which is the UK's most visited tourist attraction.