London Dungeons

Cringle

Just to give a more knowledgable reply to this thread The Dungeons will be opening in Janurary 2013 and work has already started with waterproofing already taken place and it will be a whole new dungeons with nothing moving over its a complete new attraction. As it stands Vengance will not be at the new site but seeing as it was closed for the last 2 months perhaps this is a good idea. The Dungeons will see a massive increase in visitors and in regards to opening times I can't see it being open until 10pm as only the eye is at the moment and sealife closes at 7ish latest. As for the move yes it was a joint decision as Merlin wanted to help national rail and realised that the move would be a bigger money maker for them being close to the eye and sealife. If I manage to see or hear anything else which is able to be told I shall do.

So this is actually going ahead? Fair enough.

I suppose it would be more efficient in its new home, especially as it is in close proximity to the other Merlin attractions. However, I still can't help but feel the attraction will lose the charm it became famous for. It was the original Dungeons and now that it is being relocated and recreated, it is just an "off the shelf attraction" with no historical significance so to speak.

In my eyes it is kind of like saying, okay we are going to demolish Alton Towers and recreate it in Florida or something.

I don't know, maybe I am just a fool who is overreacting? :unsure:

I guess we will find out in January.

• 4 months later...

Henry VIII stuff eh? That sounds interesting...

Meh, it'll always be more humour because of the general mob of tourists from abroad... Lot more of them in London, and tbh, I much prefer such stuff with a very British sense of humour attached to it... Much better than being some generic scare everyone thing...

Depends if the bandied figure of £20 million for this move is true or not...

Can't look any worse than the LBE mind... And considering how nice Blackpool's looked on the outside, I would suspect it won't be toooo awful, just kind of lack that old rickety sense that Tooley Street had...

It makes more sense for them to move though... Lot more sense than staying at Tooley Street...

I think they are replacing pretty much everything as new. The rides are certainly new ones.

I hope it is as good as the current London one. I think London is the strongest out of the brand (having done all of them in UK this year), and would be a shame to lose it's feeling whilst moving.

From what I heard/understood, Extremis will be there but it will operate the same way that Sub Terra does, so you drop without the going up part :P Which I personally think is a shame as I love how the current Extremis works, with the music and build up etc :(

In fact, the whole move makes me unhappy. As pluk said they need to have that dungeon feel to them, which it naturally has in its current location. And the sound of the trains overhead :wub: Regardless of how much "better" and newer things will be and the new scenes, I will still miss the old location and it's going to feel odd going into County Hall! Dis better be good!

(Putting the importance of station expansions aside/the fact that I use public transport and realise the importance) Screw you Network Rail for making the Dungeons move! :(

Prefer top loading actually. It builds as much atmosphere - and infact has a bigger shock factor as some people just purely won't be expecting it.

Who, being hanged, ended up being lifted first before hung? They stood (sat in this case) on a platform which drops from beneath them. Far more accurate ;)

Really excited for this. The Guy Fawkes and Henry VIII additions should be great - two significant eras in British history that were missed in the previous dungeon. I hope an indoor coaster is added at some point, similar to

at the Amsterdam Dungeon. It's themed around 'the afterlife' so perhaps it could fit in after Extremis (I doubt there will be much space left though). Does anyone have the link to the plans for the new dungeon by any chance?

Random thought, but perhaps Vengeance and old Extremis could make their way to Thorpe Park in 2014 as a new ride experience in the 4D theatre....