London Dungeons

Cringle

Taken from report:

Formerly known as “Extremis” this all new attraction offers a similar 3-story drop experience from ABC Rides, but now without the need for the initial winch to the top (top-to-drop), making for a more relevant experience. The ride cycle includes a drop, bounce and now a 2nd drop, we were told). The previous drop tower has been removed from Tooley street and is currently in storage at Thorpe Park, but we were advised that Merlin does not currently have any plans to install this elsewhere.

There must be some reason it's in storage at Thorpe Park. I've seen the ride but never tried it, so am I right in thinking this is the same or similar as Sub Terra?

The original ride in the London Dungeons that was in Tooley street lifted you up fist unlike sub terra which drops you first, but as from when they moved site they bought a new ride which is like sub terra. Although I have not ridden sub terra I have seen videos and it does seem similar to the new ride. But I am not sure about the bounce cycle that is on the new ride.

I visited today and the ride cycle (from what I remember) is as follows:

1. You are lifted up ever so slightly.

2. You are then dropped.

3. You are raised almost to the top but then drop again (this is repeated I think)

4. You are raised back to the top.

Overall the new dungeons are good. Some shows are better than the previous dungeon but others felt a bit bare in terms of theming. The boat ride could have benefitted from additional effects/theming - in some parts it just felt very quiet.and dull.

Another look at the behind the scenes here, Vengeance is in a create in storage at Thorpe Park and was confirmed that neither Thorpe or any other park currently have no plans to use it.

I know they say they have no plans to use it but I think it will probably end up sitting in that time voyagers building at thorpe!

As for the old extremis, maybe they are going to put it where saw alive currently is and make a ride a bit like sub terra- it would be a good dark ride and would add to thorpe's line up of dark attractions(which there is only 1)

I think merlin will end up using these two rides but I am not sure what in though.... Maybe they will put them in the castle dungeon or something like that?

I don't see why Thorpe would install Extremis? Having Detonator on park, they already have a brilliant drop ride. Granted, a ride like Extremis would offer a different type of drop, but they are fundamentally the same thing; something like Sub Terra could work at Thorpe if there's enough emphasis on everything other than the ride system, but the use of Extremis wouldn't work for Thorpe.

To be honest, neither of those rides seem suited to any of the Merlin parks in my opinion. Better to use them at one of the Dungeons, or just sell 'em on.

Perhaps Vengeance might just end up back at London Dungeons next year - I'm sure there is space for it somewhere. Extremis might make a good addition at Chessington somewhere, perhaps there is space in the Hocus Pocus Hall building for it to be included within the attraction somehow, oe maybe the Vampire/Tomb Blaster 'shed'.

Edit: I managed to find this http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=MD6OE2BOHV000. They are the update plans of the new dungeons.

Judging from these plans, I think those who went to the preview day yesterday only experienced around half of the entire Jack the Ripper shows somehow. All I remember from yesterday was:

1) Street scene 2) Mirror maze 3)Ten Bells Inn

but there seems to be 5 Jack the Ripper shows.

Adam P's review is a great one, and now I have some questions and points to raise.

• Firstly, is the Henry the Eighth boat ride the old Traitor boat ride to hell? And does it take the same route, and is it in the dark?
  • Depsite them saying no more blood splats to bring more families in, and the general point that has been across about them toning a few things down, I hardly think "a skeleton in a spike covered chair" contributes to it - however, sounds like a great addition (to the Torture chamber).
  • It seems brilliant how the twisty alleyways of Whitechapel are the old mirror maze, at last it has been put to some proper use. And it's also brilliant how you have to "escape" Jack The Ripper in this.
  • But what I find great too is how the scene arrangement is: Jack >> Ten Bells Pub >> Courtoom - probably 3 of the best old scenes from Tooley Street, now better arranged by the sound of things.
  • Is the queue outside or is there quite a large indoor section for queueing?

Does anyone know what happens to the old Dungeons at Tooley Street now - do Merlin still own this for a little while longer before finally legally handing the premises over to developers? Because, if I remember correctly, isn't this move mainly to allow the London Bridge station works to continue/expand?

I am a great believer in change, and at first was unsure of this. However, the news and reviews seen so far paint a positive picture. Hopefully that will confirm my opinions when I visit this Saturday - keep a lookout for my review, coming in the first half of next week.

Indeed the boat ride is very different, and you get a lot more wet too! The point to the toning down is mainly in the marketing side of the attraction, to encourage families in. Strange I know as inside there are some quite nasty models still however they believe with the actors interacting more the sense of fun will convey to the whole family was the impression we got.

The whole arrangement is so much better, rather than having "dead" waiting patches everyone is heavily involved in the main parts, including the Pie Shop which some missed on the last tour due to boat arrivals. There is a huge queue inside the building now with extensions around past the first desks to a second one, I can't see it going outside (famous last words!)

They claimed the move was mainly due to station works although new space and better lay out also played a big part. It does have a real atmosphere in there especially with the efforts going into the flooring!

My questions are:

-Is Blessed featured Henry featured heavily? Looking forward to that!

-Have they paid as much attention to the ceiling as they have the floor. High or unthemed ceilings with obvious lighting rigs etc really ruin a lot of indoor attractions for me, and I imagine that is especially important in the 'dungeons'.

Henry is a case of "blink and you miss him" unfortunately - he literally appears on one corner of the boat ride. In regards to the ceilings, they are mainly covered with fabrics or are painted black. Some may have had additional theming but I can't really remember.

Looking at the plans there is designated room for an outside queue, but as others have said the indoor queue area is huge. It's probably 10 times the length of the last dungeon's indoor queue.

So I went last night...

Have a review, hopefully it shouldn't reveal TOO many of the extra new details as to spoil any surprises if you want to visit with a clear mind, but it gives some information as comparison to the original Dungeons scenes...

It's good, very good actually... Whilst it might lack the 'atmosphere' of Tooley Street's bridge times, it has taken some of the good scenes from it, and improved them ALL... As well as taken the chance to change around the route, improving the throughput and expanding the entire thing whilst producing a few extra random bits and bobs...

So the lift intro is quite good, with a bit of interaction, we had an amusing actress for this, and the hilarity of the 'finale' of the section was just, well, brilliant, and kind of set the level of humour we will see...

Straight into the boat ride, which is SUCH an improvement on the old one, as it has THINGS HAPPENING!!! :o Then Brian Blessed appeared and all was good... It had a few extra bits on the excessive long journey back, though perhaps a few bits weren't working currently... Either way, a definite improvement...

Onto Guy Fawkes, we missed the intro portion to this due to being on the last boat, but I'm sure it's basically "Blah blah blah delay until the group all appears", anyways, into the tunnels we go, where we have a small scene regarding finding Guy Fawkes and giving him a letter before we are forced to move on through the Sewers, which included tiny low tunnels of dark... Which was annoying but still more interesting than a corridor... Then we have a VERY Horrible Histories style scene with Guy Fawkes and a Cavaliar... As a big fan of the show, this kind of humour is Benin approved...

Next, Torture scene, straight out the old Dungeons really, minimal change here aside from a reference to the previous scene...

Plague next, with bonus SMELL effects! A longer street with more random effects leading up to a chat about the Plague and what not... They REALLY loved the face projection stuff this time around... Then we had the Surgery which was much improved with the actor actually speaking rather than following the pre-recorded spiel... Also a few extra effects and jokes in there but again, similar to before but better... You then get to walk again through the Turning Room, which is, a trommel, with added effects and rats...

Then it's time for Sweeney Todd, the addition of a proper Mrs Lovett scene is much approved, with lots of really bad puns, but that's the level of humour we're working with now people, get used to it... Sweeney is similar to before but with added pre-show actor, which was different and provided a different nervy build-up atmosphere... Also a few things added on here as well... Good times...

Jack the Ripper now, and this has similarities to the original, what with the Mitre Square scene, then it goes into the Mirror Maze, which is again what it was before but with different sound effects until we eventually get let into the Pub... Which is now bigger, and SO, SO much better than the original, with a lot more going on throughout, much improved...

Then the Judge, which is it's usual hilarious self... The two here were really pushing the level of innuendo this time and it was brilliant... There was also proof of ad-libbing ("Where are you from?" "Norway" "Oh, there's Nor-Way he's getting away with this!") so whilst it may not be constant, it will still occur... Again it's similar to the old version but really they didn't have to change it much as it was good then...

Finally Extremis 2, after a build-up to the long drop stuff from another actor, we get taken into the ride section, which I'm not sure if I prefer the drop of the original or the new one, but regardless it was rather good though I think in the end... I did adore the floor of the ride with it's rotating floor slats though, little bit goony but whatevers :P

And that's it... And overall, whilst some may not like the lack of Tooley Street atmosphere, they took this chance full-fold, removing the rubbish scenes (Great Fire and Heretic) and improving a LOT of the scenes that were transferred... Some bits remained consistent but those were good beforehand...

Well worth a visit, good fun, good theming, very enjoyable...

I don't see why Thorpe would install Extremis? Having Detonator on park, they already have a brilliant drop ride. Granted, a ride like Extremis would offer a different type of drop, but they are fundamentally the same thing; something like Sub Terra could work at Thorpe if there's enough emphasis on everything other than the ride system, but the use of Extremis wouldn't work for Thorpe.

To be honest, neither of those rides seem suited to any of the Merlin parks in my opinion. Better to use them at one of the Dungeons, or just sell 'em on.

They should move them to the castle dungeon- that has no rides there, would be good to install them there!