Chessington holding exhibition for “new attraction” on Wednesday 16th November

Hi guys. I have very exciting news for you all this afternoon! According to Attraction Source, Chessington is holding a public exhibition showing off a “new attraction” on Wednesday 16th November:

https://www.facebook.com/213894828494/posts/pfbid0298cGVxYnMfoovWQpQqqzfcgNkxuW9Scqmez8dJMMRmGj1QR8X29epFeWzG3AXCdjl/

Little else is known other than that, but details will apparently be revealed on the 16th, and there will be a public consultation period running until the 30th.

Isn’t this exciting? I wonder what it could be; I’ll admit that I wasn’t expecting another major investment at Chessington so soon after Jumanji, but I guess it would make sense seeing as I’ve heard reports of Chessington receiving £60m of CAPEX between 2022 and 2026…

3 hours ago, Benin said:

That being said what areas of the park are even available for expansion these days? Something is likely to be on the chopping block.

I think you might be onto something there; a now deleted comment on AS' Facebook post from an Attraction Source admin said that "those familiar with the situation say that it is replacing an existing attraction", for what it's worth.

Take that with as much salt as you like, but I trust that anyone associated with Attraction Source is likely to be a fairly reliable source (AS is connected with a number of parks in a semi-official capacity), and I also find the fact that this comment was later deleted rather telling... could this person possibly have told a little too much about the truth of what's happening?

think you might be onto something there; a now deleted comment on AS' Facebook post from an Attraction Source admin said that "those familiar with the situation say that it is replacing an existing attraction" @Matt N with this in mind I think the new addition could be one of the following. Option number 1 is a replacement for Scorpion Express. This beloved Rollercoaster has been closed since a mild fire in July. Option number 2 is the retheme of The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure. This Ip with Julia Donaldson has been around for 6 years. From past experience IPs generally expire after this period. A good example is Bubbleworks Imperial Leather. This Sponsorship ended in 2014 following 7 years. Most people were not aware of this. Bubbleworkks remained largely unchanged bar the covering of Imperial Leather logos. Option number 3 is the replacement of The Maine Stage with a ride. This area and the adjacent former Toytown architecture are being renovated. A decent Flat Ride could slip into this location. Option number 4 is a new ride to replace Elmer's Flying Jumbos. This rides sponsorship expires in 2024. Chessington could be planning ahead so a replacement can be implemented immediately. Option number 5 is the gutting of Room On The Broom A Magical Journey. This attraction is also part of a sponsorship with Julia Donaldson which is probably close to ending. Option number 6 is a new ride possibly a kids Rollercoaster to replace Creepy Caves. Chessington said that the Creepy Caves Scare Maze is in its final season. Option 6 is the errection of a Water Park to complement the hotels and create an all-inclusive Holiday Resort. Option 7 is a major refurbishment of Tomb Blaster. Duel the sister ride to this attraction is currently undergoing an overhaul. Option 8 is the retracking of Chessington's most symbolic and popular ride Vampire. This ride is over 30 years old and is likely reaching the end of its currant from. As Nemesis at Alton Towers is to undergo this treatment surly Vampire will. The fact is Vampire's just as iconic if not more iconic than Nemesis. Vampire was the first suspended Rollercoaster in the U.K and is the reason Chessington is how we all love it. Furthermore, Vampire was the first suspended Rollercoaster in Europe and the sole surviving Arrow Dynamics model outside of America. My final but by no means least hypothesis is the retheme of Zufari Ride into Africa. Chessington  Buzz speculated earlier this year that this almost decade year old attraction could receive a Jumanji overlay. I think this is very possible as Chessington are opening The World of Jumanji in March. Giving a slight refresh to a decade old attraction would raise it popularity once more. It's worth noting this is my weakest theory. Zufari is the furvfest away area from The World of Jumanji. This would make a Jumanji overlay a right shambles. With  Chessington opening their most imersive area to date id rather all the Jumanji theming contained to the former picnic area opposite The Land of the Dragons.

Can everyone please give their feedback on wheater I am barking up the right tree? I would like to know your predictions on what new addition will be announced on the 16th of November. Please please please inform me of your views. Personally, I would be overjoyed if the new addition is the return of Professor Burp's Bubbleworks. Devastatingly I think we are more likely to see a flying pink pig. 

Its great to see Chessington getting more investment. Chessington buzz put a post on facebook saying 'We really think they’re going to make a splash with this! 😉'  

Chessington buzz have a good relationship with Chessington so are likely in the know, so looks like this will be a new water ride or waterpark

This is very exciting, in my view!

An indoor waterpark is not an insignificant investment, and given that there are currently slim pickings waterpark-wise in the South East, I'd argue that it's also quite a shrewd one from a business perspective. As I said, there are few waterparks in the area, and the indoor factor will also give Chessington a second gate attraction with good year-round and all-weather appeal. Furthermore, a waterpark would considerably bolster Chessington's credentials as a family short break resort. It could have a lot of potential in this area given the considerable population in its immediate catchment area and lack of nearby competition! (While LLW has nice-looking hotels, it doesn't really have any second gate activities as such, and none of the other parks in the South East have an overly substantial, if any, accommodation and resort offering for families)

I should also note that Jared, the administrator on Chessington Buzz (who first dropped hints about an indoor waterpark a few months back), has suggested that there may be multiple attractions discussed in this consultation rather than just the one individual attraction, so the park itself may well see an additional investment to supplement this as well. Take that with as much salt as you like, but given CB's excellent track record for accurate rumours, I trust Jared implicitly.

This has massive potential if done right. Unlike Splash Landings which only really appeals if you use happen to be at Towers, this will appeal greatly to the surrounding area. It just needs good opening hours and more down the line then just what opens on its first day. I've never been back to Splash Landings as it hasn't expanded or changed. I will go back to Rulantica.

Very exciting times at CwOa right now.

That will be key in the design actually, and clearly not something Towers ever factored in (presumably as it was originally only for hotel guests?). Lack of expansion will limit things somewhat going ahead.

Just hope that this won't detract from the issues within the park. If they're planning on expanding on the resort offerings the park needs to be up to operational snuff.

There are suggestions from Chessington Buzz that we may also hear something about Scorpion Express/Mexicana at the consultation, and that Scorpion Express could be on the chopping block to prepare for whatever is announced at the consultation:

If it is being removed, then it would appear that I owe @Theme Park Fanatic an apology... they've been banging that drum for months, perhaps even years, but I myself genuinely thought it was likely to return. I sincerely apologise for not giving your idea more consideration.

I read this post on Chessington Buzz’s Facebook page “say farewell to some classics tonight... Some for a refresh... Others for good These are memories and important to people, they are not just rides. Sleep well Nemesis, Rocky Express, Scorpion Express - P”.

It says “some for a refresh” to me this implies two are reopening. Some is a purul. If one was reopening the post would have said one for a refresh.I think the reopening rides will be Nemeses at Alton Towers and Rocky Express at Thorpe park. These attractions are in fairly good shape. As we all know Nemesis has been confirmed as reopening, after a season long overhaul. I think Rocky Express is the other returning ride.Thorpe Park said Rocky Express is exploring its options. This implies Thorpe are considering to relocate it. Furthermore we seemingly said goodbye to Rocky Express last year. To mention the ride a year later and say “some for a refresh” makes me think it’s returning. If Rocky Express wasn’t returning surly Duel at Alton Towers would have made the list. Duel is the biggest loss the Theme Park industry has suffered this year. I’m sure more than ever that Scorpion Express has taken its final passengers. It’s just a shame that a legendary ride like Scorpion Express literally went in a puff of smoke. I must also thank @Matt N and accept his apology. Everyone can make mistakes and have inaccurate views. @Matt N I hope the practicality confirmed permanent closure of Scourpeon Express has taught you to trust me more. I fear you might have to apologise for a second time. I have a feeling Tomb Blaster will be rejuvenated back to Forbidden Tomb.

2 hours ago, Benin said:

6zrdp2.jpg

@Benin I find this post highly amusing. I don’t think you will when you enter the newly returned Forbidden Tomb next March. You’ll be apologising like @Matt N has. I was correct about the closure and removal of Scourpeon Express wasn’t I? Just because you are sceptical doesn’t make me a fantasist. The closure of Scourpeon Express isn’t the only prediction that’s come true. I also predicted Project Amazon would involve Jumanji. Low and behold the project transformed into The World Of Of Jumanji. Not only this but as soon as Duel’s closure was announced by Alton Towers I instantly sensed it would be based around Emily Alton. Unsurprisingly all the hints point to Emily Alton “repossessing” the ride. 

But Forbidden Tomb returned last year? (Or was it the year before?)

Fairly sure @JoshC.guessed Jumanji first. No one really disagreed either (or cared). Also tried to find the topic but it's either gone or the search function is rubbish on here. 

No confirmations at all about what will happen to Duel or Scorpion Express aside from pure conjecture on anyone's part. Even the tweet relating to SE is vague as to what might be changing. Could be the theme or something bigger at this current time. However acting like you have some inside track on things (when you've been proven wrong a few times now) I shall remain sceptical until the parks themselves announce of their own volition. 

Putting rumour mill merchants in any industry upon pedestals lead to people posting stuff that is inherently untrue (see those faking 2011 Sub Terra fences as today) or just throwing darts at the board and hoping one hits once in a while. Otherwise we'd have an Aquatrax in every park and an indoor Top Spin at Thorpe.

Unfortunately these days people seem to be so desperate to know what's happening or be in-the-know first and play that card it makes actually having any form of discussion towards new additions complete pain. Just have to look at other forum topics to see that in full flow.

Edit - Found the first mention of Jumanji rumour on here. Because I'm having to stay up late and nothing better to do.

I love closed season. It’s always full of suspense and surprises!! The current Chessington closed season will be the best yet. I’m eager to find out what the new Water Park will involve. Furthermore I’m exited to find out the future of Scourpeon Express. I fear it went up in the puff of smoke and will never take passengers again.

I CALL BINGO!

Chessington is anyones guess at this moment in time, but what we know for sure is that we are getting Jumanji (which according to the press is a whole theme park) and the ‘proposed’ water park.

I don’t see Tomb Blaster (2.1) getting a retheme or replacement for at least several years, but I could be spectacularly wrong. There’s a better chance of Alton Towers buying Apocalypse to replace Enterprise, than there is of Thorpe reopening Rocky!

Lets be honest, Scorpion is probably at the end of its life, but that’s not to say they will get rid of it immediately. After all, there are still some older powered coasters still running. 

@Matt Creek The World Of Jumanji is Chessington’s best investment in my lifetime. I’m 23 next month. This is only my opinion of course. I think the Water Park could also be Jumanji Themed. A Jumanji Water Park has recently opened in America. I’m looking forward to stepping into the world of Jumanji. I’ve recently watched the original Jumanji film with Robin Williams in and the second with The Rock. There amazing films. I have to say there among the best films I have watched. This IP is the only one I’ve actually condoned. I hope Chessington combine Animals with The World Of Jumanji in the same way they did with Land Of The Tiger and The Rainforest.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:09 PM, Benin said:

6zrdp2.jpg

@Benin this is definitely the best post of the year!! This was highly inventive and looks professional. It’s a shame that @coasterverse used your idea and butchered it. @coasterverse’s Rocky Express version on the Thorpe Park thread  looks very unprofessional and genuinely terrible. If I was comparing @coasterverse’s version to a ride it would be Bubbleworks Imperial Leather. You really made me chuckle by posting this @Benin you should be crowned Thorpe Park Mania’s best poster 2022.

12 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

@Benin this is definitely the best post of the year!! This was highly inventive and looks professional. It’s a shame that @coasterverse used your idea and butchered it. @coasterverse’s Rocky Express version on the Thorpe Park thread  looks very unprofessional and genuinely terrible. If I was comparing @coasterverse’s version to a ride it would be Bubbleworks Imperial Leather. You really made me chuckle by posting this @Benin you should be crowned Thorpe Park Mania’s best poster 2022.

GmUfdyj.png

Water park is a good investment for the Chessington. I hope they look at how Towers operates their one and choose to not operate it like that (ie: actually have parts of it open outside of park opening hours lol)

I'm not a water park person at all, so can't comment on its possible quality. But even an average water park is, as said, a good investment for the park