Zodiac

Garyy

I find I have moments when zodiac makes me feel really queasy, but sometimes I just find it fun.

If it's your first time, I strongly recommend you sit on the most inner seat. The forces are tamer, and you don't have such a large circle to cover, so the ride experience itself is slightly less 'extreme'. I always sit on the inside, I found the only 2 times I've ridden it on the outer seat, I've come off not wanting to do the next couple rides.

What exactly do you mean by 'inner' and 'outer' seats?  Also, whatever this means, I don't think it really matters - you still cover the same radius!

For me personally, I find Zodiac quite tame and very rarely feel queasy / dizzy from it.  I'd personally say just go for it, even if you feel a bit unsure about it.  It very much seems to differ from person to person, so there's no way to find out if you'll be alright with it unless you try it.  Zodiac doesn't have as long a ride time compared to some other Enterprises though, so it's probably a good one to do first.

• 2 weeks later...

How embarrassing. I was talking about samurai.  :wacko:

I still find zodiac slightly nauseous though. I don't enjoy the ride much, but it isn't too bad. Alot less scary when you're in the pod over looking at it.

Well, your advise for Samurai was good anyway :D

So I finally rode Zodiac yesterday after dodging it for a long time - thanks to Flipper who somehow manages to get me on rides that I really avoid!

I was bricking it to be honest, because of the way that it makes some people feel, however I was absolutely fine and almost felt a bit sleepy (though that could be the meds I take!) - it was over so quickly and at one point I said "Is that it?" - I do think though, because I suffer with motion sickness, if I didn't take my anti-sickness tablets it could possibly have made me feel a tad nauseous.  In all honesty I can safely say that Vortex makes me feel worse.

• 1 month later...

Ugh - have totally changed my mind about Zodiac - went on it last week and jaysus - it was mental.  I don't know how many settings this thing has on it but it lasted a LOT longer than my first ride on it.  When I first went on it, it hit the highest point then started to come back down - last week it hit the high point and carried on - I came off feeling extremely dizzy and almost drunk and as a result, almost puked on a different ride :blush:

Done it twice - never again!

• 1 year later...

Old and dead topic I know, but something I can't help but notice with Zodiac this season so far is that the wheel doesn't make it to the vertical position anymore. Instead, it reaches a maximum angle of roughly 60-70 degrees.

For a few years now the ride has struggled to slowly raise to the top which has resulted in longer rides for guests, but now, it just reaches the 60-70 degree point and then lowers immediately again afterwards. It doesn't pause for a few seconds in the vertical position anymore. As a result, the reduction in ride time this year compared to last year is definitely noticeable.

Maybe it it has been tweaked deliberately to reduce further strain on the ride considering it is now over a decade old, but just thought it's worth pointing out. Never before have I seen this on Zodiac until now. Anyone else noticed this?

Its been tweaked on purpose to reach a maximum of 70 degrees now due to H&S, its nothing to do with the strain of the ride or it not being able to reach that height.

It is odd that they've decided to make it come straight down once it reaches the 70 degrees position though.

^ ...are you kidding me? H&S is just going way too far now. There wasn't anything wrong with Zodiac going up to vertical and there have been zero incidents regarding that factor, as far as I know.

It's very difficult to move from your seat on a ride like this because of the forces holding you in anyway.

1 hour ago, ThorpeAddict said:

Its been tweaked on purpose to reach a maximum of 70 degrees now due to H&S

TRIGGERED. :angry2:

No, this is not a thing. I do not  know the reason for this rides poor performance, but I can assure you it is not the mythical man in a hard hat with a clipboard from 'H&S' telling Thorpe that only 70% is safe now.

The ride is far greater than a decade old. It was a knackered old thing when Drayton got it, it was an even more knackered old thing when Thorpe got it 11years ago from them because they killed their last one (or nearly killed someone in their last one to be more precise!). I'd guess from the model it was made in the 80's. I suspect there lies the problem.

3 hours ago, Pinecone33 said:

^ ...are you kidding me? H&S is just going way too far now. There wasn't anything wrong with Zodiac going up to vertical and there have been zero incidents regarding that factor, as far as I know.

It's very difficult to move from your seat on a ride like this because of the forces holding you in anyway.

It's not to do with the fact that it reaches 90 degrees, but H&S don't like the procedure for if it was to get stuck at 90 degrees, hence why it will now only reach 70.

3 hours ago, LostCityBoy said:

Is this also the case with Enterprise at towers?

No idea, but if the towers one still reaches 90 I'm guessing it's due to Thorpe having a different model and therefore the procedure for it getting stuck at 90 degrees would be different.

1 hour ago, pluk said:

TRIGGERED. :angry2:

No, this is not a thing. I do not  know the reason for this rides poor performance, but I can assure you it is not the mythical man in a hard hat with a clipboard from 'H&S' telling Thorpe that only 70% is safe now.

Should've been more clear in my first post, but it's not to do with the fact its '70% safe' but the procedure for if it was to get stuck at 90 degrees. If the ride could no longer reach 90 degrees due to its performance I'm pretty sure they would just get rid of the thing.

3 hours ago, Pinecone33 said:

If you dont have the history of incidents on Zodiac you cant comment on the reasons why this may have happen, for one not all incidents are public

40 minutes ago, ThorpeAddict said:

Should've been more clear in my first post, but it's not to do with the fact its '70% safe' but the procedure for if it was to get stuck at 90 degrees. If the ride could no longer reach 90 degrees due to its performance I'm pretty sure they would just get rid of the thing.

Sorry, not my point.  I get there will be a background reason,  what I take issue with is the blaming of 'H&S' as if it's something they have been told to do from outside and they no choice over. That's not how it works; they have the choice of how to mitigate an identified risk and choose the easiest/cheapest option, then blame health and safety to excuse whatever poor guest experience is the result as if their hands are tied. Really winds me up.

15 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

Well at least Thorpe actually HAVE flats..

Coughs* Alton Towers Coughs*

Totally agree although I do miss the original zodiac that actually had theming!

Yup Towers definitely need more flatties - I miss Ripsaw and Submission

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...