Thorpe Park Controversial Opinions

coasterverse

27 minutes ago, coasterverse said:

Give me some of your most controversial Thorpe Park opinions.

I'll go first...

Logger's Leap was a mediocre log flume and the only reason why people miss it is because they're afraid of change.

I legitimately liked to do it 2-3 times per visit, more than the coasters. It was just fun  ok, it wasn't the best log flume, but it was my favourite thing at Thorpe after Stealth.

My controversial opinion: the Walking Dead The Ride is a great ride, and one of my current favourites at the park. I think it gets over-hated because the thene doesn't suit the family coaster track, but other than that I think they've pulled it off really well.

1 minute ago, Hethetheth said:

I legitimately liked to do it 2-3 times per visit, more than the coasters. It was just fun  ok, it wasn't the best log flume, but it was my favourite thing at Thorpe after Stealth.

My controversial opinion: the Walking Dead The Ride is a great ride, and one of my current favourites at the park. I think it gets over-hated because the thene doesn't suit the family coaster track, but other than that I think they've pulled it off really well.

Ooooooh that's a good one - I'm a big fan of TWD:TR. It's very creatively well done.

The pre-show is good (not great, but nice to have!), the walk to the actual coaster is atmospheric and pretty cool and having a post-ride experience is also crazy cool (especially when the actors are in there!)

I can't believe it gets slept on so hard.

Colossus is ruined by the trains. Granted 2002 Benin had a very different opinion on rides but the original trains were fine. Now not so much.

Loggers I think is missed as it leaves a high throughput gap in the park. But it was fun with the double drop being unique. Shame Merlin seem loathe to replace either of the removed Flumes.

I don't really have anything controversial to say. Especially since I haven't ventured there in years.

7 hours ago, StevenVig said:

Sorry but that is just downright ridiculous, please elaborate. 

It's the biggest eyesore 

+Ride accessible to anyone aged 6+

+'Group' experience

+Not too thrilling, meaning it's a much needed 'rest' ride in the park's line up

+People are prepared to queue a long time for it

Regardless of how bad it looks, how meh a ride it can, how deep the water in the boats is and it's low throughput, it's a ride which a large number of guests are willing to queue for and ride and diversifies the park's line up. There would be a major hole in the park's line up without it.

Thorpe is a lot more balanced then people realise, there's more variety in its offering then Towers for example

Thorpe has so much wasted space where so much could be done. but they settle for mediocrity far too often. No way should a ride like Rumba exist in modern day Thorpe Park. Same with Depth Charge, Walking Dead & Black Mirror, Slammer, etc etc.

There is nothing special about any of the rollercoasters at Thorpe. Aside from essentially nostalgia, all of them are pretty generic examples of their ride types. There are moments such as Infernos tunnel or Saw's indoor section but thats it. 

Thorpe has one of the best flat ride line ups in the world (only Canada Wonderland beats it). From classics like Zodiac and Quantum to more modern (I say modern, they are all approaching their 25's at this point) like Samurai and Vortex.

15 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Thorpe is a lot more balanced then people realise, there's more variety in its offering then Towers for example

I have to say, I agree with this one. I always leave Thorpe feeling like I’ve had a slightly more balanced day than I do at Alton Towers, and I personally feel that Thorpe Park, particularly where flat rides are concerned, have a more fleshed out and compelling non-coaster lineup than Alton Towers.

Here’s one of my unpopular Thorpe opinions; in terms of individual ride theming, I actually think Thorpe Park beats Alton Towers on many fronts.

• 4 weeks later...

My Controversial Opinions:

- TWD:TR is not a good ride, whilst the theming is mid, the ride is just a family ride with crammed trains, each row designed for one child and an adult, not 2 fully sized adults. I'm not willing to wait up to an hour for this ride.

- Thorpe should remove Black Mirror, the arcade and TWD to make way for more coasters. These three attractions whilst being loved by some individuals, just would make great spaces for  new coasters.

2 hours ago, endsop said:

My Controversial Opinions:

- TWD:TR is not a good ride, whilst the theming is mid, the ride is just a family ride with crammed trains, each row designed for one child and an adult, not 2 fully sized adults. I'm not willing to wait up to an hour for this ride.

- Thorpe should remove Black Mirror, the arcade and TWD to make way for more coasters. These three attractions whilst being loved by some individuals, just would make great spaces for  new coasters.

Don't really see either of those points as too controversial tbh. Whilst I think the TWD is a good coaster and Thorpe having a coaster with a somewhat decent pre-show and pre and post ride theming (the theming on the actual coaster itself leaves much to be desired, but I personally love the engine stall sequence half-way through the coaster experience) is very nice to have as this is an area in which Thorpe tends to fail on.

All that being said, the actual ride experience of the coaster is mediocre at best and to be honest I think your point about Black Mirror (and old Slammer site), arcades and TWD (and possibly even Ghost Train once they've decided upon the fate of that) will most likely make up the next site for a new coaster if plans to build on the land behind Swarm Island fail. None of those rides/ride experiences make up the staple that is Thorpe Park's ride/coaster lineup so when the time comes I definitely think that'll be the next spot for a big coaster... because I mean that makes up a huge plot of land and you could chuck something massive in there.