Thorpe Park 2023

ML27

16 hours ago, tactic said:

Plastic fencing would have led to the same thing though. People will still bring markers and draw/engrave stuff into the queue lines regardless what material it is made of or what colour it is. I don't really see any way the park can stop it either as it is all down to people having the decency to not graffiti which is never going to happen. If the park try and inplement a harsh sanction (kicked out of the park) for anyone doing it and actually enforce the rule the graffitti may slightly decrease, but like queue jumping I think it's a thing we will always see due to the park just not having the resources to stop people.

I agree, but I meant from a durability perspective and paint perspective. It won’t wear away, it’s harder to carve your initials into it. It doesn’t react to the elements like wood does

29 minutes ago, ML27 said:

I agree, but I meant from a durability perspective and paint perspective. It won’t wear away, it’s harder to carve your initials into it. It doesn’t react to the elements like wood does

Oh yh, that makes sense. I don't see why they use wood to be honest; plastic would be cheaper too. Then I guess plastic fencing does give off a cheaper feel though and the park don't want their new investment to seem cheap.

22 minutes ago, tactic said:

Oh yh, that makes sense. I don't see why they use wood to be honest; plastic would be cheaper too. Then I guess plastic fencing does give off a cheaper feel though and the park don't want their new investment to seem cheap.

Nah, I don't believe that. Have you seen how awful all their signage is. 

920340909_Screenshot2023-04-18at11_09_00.thumb.png.45a16c6a92b0067738d4f5a01d138b29.png

Yikes. 

On 4/15/2023 at 3:09 PM, ML27 said:

There’s a guy today, surveying or mapping out the whole of the saw alive path from tacotaria to the saw plaza. 

Assuming this is for a plan for a FN maze or zone. It could possibly be for a ride, but assuming it’s the former

I think Jack Silkstone confirmed in a video they are turning the area into a picnic area so It'd be that I'm guessing

edit: uness that's already happened for this season? I haven't seen to know 😛

Thorpe has been closed for the past two days and provided this update.

Evening all, few closed day updates:

🪧 New Ghost Train entrance sign is taking shape

9410F15F-5AB8-48A6-AEDE-2915DB804218.thumb.jpeg.1eecd4b5222d3fd4db99d58199a87f08.jpeg
️ Groundwork taking place on the lakeside picnic area, this will allow us to install the giant shade umbrellas 

434CE92E-B524-49E0-97DB-B91F8EDB59C3.thumb.jpeg.4eb7c92ab7517c52b60fa5c12b53e2c5.jpeg
👽 Progress on THE SWARM-themed rooms, we can also confirm these rooms will feature new Nespresso coffee machines!

B9C3B5E8-5591-4F6C-8847-1D4E21A376C7.thumb.jpeg.0c7b011c36e7a0d05b61b5389a0a6aac.jpegA297951D-7DFA-4687-AD79-F69EFA08F6C7.thumb.jpeg.1370553803f95e3d2fac4a8c22230e2a.jpeg

Firstly, I must say I’m not sure if Thorpe did this precovid however I think they should use closed days as much as possible to carry out upgrade works.

It’s not too frequent the amount of closed days they get but if they schedule repairs and refurbishments it allows them to carry on in peace and things don’t have to wait until closed season as rides can operate like that but the parks appearance shouldn’t be a winter thing.

The swarm bedrooms are a bit meh, it’s been confirmed it’s only going to be a vinyl. I know fast track is included but the ride rarely has long queues alllll day.

Ghost train is still spring 2023, I don’t know why they never set it as late spring? Promising though the entrance sign is being worked on.

9 hours ago, Lillly said:

Hi,

I'm going to Thorpe park Tomorrow and need to pick up a disability access card does anyone know if they’ll accept a photo of my passport as I feel uncomfortable having the real thing with me all day 

I don’t know that much abt RAP at Thorpe but I’d definitely assume that they would accept a photo. If you explained to them that it was too much of a risk taking in your passport I’m sure they would 100% understand.

Like I said I’m not the most knowledgeable about access cards so might be best to get someone who knows a bit more about them advise you, but I assume it would be ok.

1 hour ago, tactic said:

I don’t know that much abt RAP at Thorpe but I’d definitely assume that they would accept a photo. If you explained to them that it was too much of a risk taking in your passport I’m sure they would 100% understand.

Like I said I’m not the most knowledgeable about access cards so might be best to get someone who knows a bit more about them advise you, but I assume it would be ok.

Thank you so much this was sooo helpful!!

I think thorpe have just tried too much with the themed rooms.

They tried to make their hotel feel like a resort by adding the theming, but the rooms are way to small for anything major to be added.

I think the first focus for the park if they want to be classed as a resort is to build a proper hotel, then they can start theming the rooms.

3 hours ago, tactic said:

I think thorpe have just tried too much with the themed rooms.

They tried to make their hotel feel like a resort by adding the theming, but the rooms are way to small for anything major to be added.

I think the first focus for the park if they want to be classed as a resort is to build a proper hotel, then they can start theming the rooms.

Phantasialand says hi.

Having ride-centric rooms is fine enough. 

But they're not "themed" rooms. They're rooms where instead of broad/generic Thorpe stuff on the walls, they have ride-centric stuff. And a couple of extra bits on drawers.

Fine enough idea (and I think that having a few for each ride would be a nice touch), but they don't justify any real extra upcharge imo, even with the bonus Fastrack.

Hello!

A visit this week was the first time I've been to Thorpe for four years which is my longest gap between visits since I started going in 2005 (I lean more towards Alton now) so a few thoughts from me. Some good and bad.

Arrival:

The absolute state of the security queueing arrangements on the forecourt. Being herded into a cattle pen before you've made it it through the gates is such an unwelcoming to the park. I get why it's needed (sadly) but my god.

Park Music:

I'm no sound engineer so I don't know how "good" the new set up is from a quality point of view but I thought the new speakers around the park were a welcome additional.

haven't heard WWTP sound so good in the Stealth queue for years. Inferno's queue line sounded decent too. 

I know a lot of people prefer it but I was so happy to hear the original soundtracks (even stretching back to the 2002 voiceovers on Vortex) instead of the IMA soundtracks. I just wish they'd get Inferno's proper dispatch music back.

Park Presentation:

The basement in the Dome is quite the glow up from my last visit! Looked really nice, just hope they can keep it that way. 

The rest of the park seemed in fairly good nick but I really wish they'd put Zodiac out of its misery. If it's staying long term (which I hope it is) please paint it and theme it to how the previous model was! It looks dreadful now.

I wish they'd do some proper landscaping on Flying Fish too.

Rides:

My biggest gripe through is Angry Birds Land. When does the sponsorship end? I can't wait to (hopefully) see Detonator returned to its former self and the clash of themes around the pathway between Tidal Wave and Stealth.

Rumba Rapids is such a dull rapids ride, you come off it bone dry and there's no just excitement to it. No theming elements, decoration or even music. I'd like to see revamped with either a volcanic or jungle theme. Just another ride that seems to be sitting in the corner of the park waiting to die.

I enjoyed Vortex a lot more than I have previously, I don't know if it's had a proper mechanical overhaul since 2019 or I've just forgotten how it ride but it seemed a lot faster than previously.

Probably enough rambling from me. Looking forward to going again and not leaving it as long!

On 5/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, James said:

My biggest gripe through is Angry Birds Land. When does the sponsorship end? I can't wait to (hopefully) see Detonator returned to its former self and the clash of themes around the pathway between Tidal Wave and Stealth.

This does seem to be a never ending IP, and it's an IP that no-one is majorly bothered about, unless I'm mistaken. 

I thought maybe "Bombs Away" being dropped from the Detonator title was a sign of things changing but perhaps that was something more to do with the state of the world today...

1 hour ago, tactic said:

Same tbh, Colossus is genuinely fun if you can get your head around it being rough. I just wish they would be upfront about when it’s actually going to open I’m fed up of this it’ll be open ‘soon’ business

Simply put, the park don't know when it's going to open. They're not be coy for coy's sake - they just don't have a firm enough time frame from the manufacturer of the track as to be able to say when it will open.