Thorpe Park 2023

ML27

I think they also may need a replacement scheme for all the lost city flats, they were all built within a span of abt 3 years and are all starting to age. I think I heard somewhere that some of the rides got now motors etc but the flats just seem to have become rundown.

I would love some new flats at thorpe but I just don’t think they have the budget for that.

This is the issue that the park have - they tend to buy things in bulk at once, and therefore once one thing starts to age... so does everything else. Obviously it's cost effective for them to buy flat rides etc in bulk when new for discounts etc, but when they start needing major refurbishment all at once, that's a hell of a lot of money for rides that can't really be justified having that much money spent on them.

7 hours ago, coasterverse said:

This is the issue that the park have - they tend to buy things in bulk at once, and therefore once one thing starts to age... so does everything else. Obviously it's cost effective for them to buy flat rides etc in bulk when new for discounts etc, but when they start needing major refurbishment all at once, that's a hell of a lot of money for rides that can't really be justified having that much money spent on them.

Yep, add detonator onto that list too. Wasn’t it only meant for a one year stop gap at first… 22/3 years later…

still think it’s a great ride btw, but now that planning restrictions have eased would be great to see it upgraded to a larger tower with better capacity

I would love a taller drop tower at Thorpe definitely. Detonators great, being pushed down at the top is amazing (I’m not sure if they turned the pistons off though I can’t remember if I read that somewhere), but extra height would add to the experience massively.

I think the issue with thorpe and other merlin parks in general is when it comes new flat rides is there is no USP so merlin see no reason in buying them. It is really a shame that merlin think in this way because some new off the shelf flat rides would benefit thorpe (after exodus of course) more than a 7th major coaster.

Merlin need to realise not everything needs a USP. I’m fact having the right capacity at its parks and keeping queue times reasonable would do more for the parks than new headline rides as it makes people want to return again. 

Anyway I digress. Thorpe does look better in 2023 than previous years, and I do feel that some effort has gone into the presentation this year even if nowhere near enough, but I’m comparison to some years where it’s literally been zero it’s a welcome move. 

I guess for 24 they need to continue the good work alongside exodus opening, I just wish they would build a decent hotel and get rid of the god awful containers 

Serious question - do we think there's any budget to get a new entrance screen for 2024? To fix the dead pixel issue, Thorpe seemingly moved the dead pixel sections to the bottom of the screen, and then hid them by the bottom part having a permanent black "wave" so they don't need to be on. However, watching recent vlogs, more sections of dead pixels have now appeared smack bang in the centre of the screen. I'd be inclined to have the thing switched off and covered with a vinyl or poster to be honest.... not a good first impression as you enter the park.

1.png

I have noticed that recently, it's not a great first impresseion of the park, but then I guess it prepares you for the lack of maintainance inside (however that has slightly imporved this season in my opinnion). Like you said, I think just covering it up would be better; nothing of value is showed on the screen. Replacing it would use some of the budget that could be used somewhere else (*cough* removal of Angry birds land and slammer) and keeping the screen just makes the park seem cheap and run down.

6 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Serious question - do we think there's any budget to get a new entrance screen for 2024? To fix the dead pixel issue, Thorpe seemingly moved the dead pixel sections to the bottom of the screen, and then hid them by the bottom part having a permanent black "wave" so they don't need to be on. However, watching recent vlogs, more sections of dead pixels have now appeared smack bang in the centre of the screen. I'd be inclined to have the thing switched off and covered with a vinyl or poster to be honest.... not a good first impression as you enter the park.

1.png

It really just doesn't make sense to have the screen there anymore - they don't have the pre-opening countdown ritual anymore, so what is the actual point of it? Sure it's just a ballache to maintain AND costs them electricity all the while. Most people just go straight under it and through the turnstiles without as much as even a glance. Totally agree, either replace or just get rid.

In an ideal world the entire entrance to the park needs a total overhaul as it really does look like you're queuing to get into a prison at the minute, but in the meantime PLEASE fix or replace the screen.

Completely agree. Just get rid. 

Actually think that’s been one of the most under utilised assets of the park, and if they had a good creative team, could really make for an interesting and lasting first impression. 

however unless they are going to utilise it properly, and by that not just have a logo on it, then why spend big money on replacing it, when a sign would do the same effect. 

That being said, having seen curse and now jumanji, I’m holding judgement until ghost train, but it feels as if merlin have turned somewhat of a corner and may have finally grasped that attention to detail does count for something. Let’s see 😂

10 hours ago, Vinlarr89 said:

however unless they are going to utilise it properly, and by that not just have a logo on it, then why spend big money on replacing it, when a sign would do the same effect. 

It does show a promo video to be fair, but any impact is somewhat dampened by those blocks of dead pixels - just looks really amateur. 

I wonder if they were to basically flatten the entrance and start again, if closed season would be enough time to do so, or if they'd have to allow construction to result in a temporary entrance for part of the season? I'm guessing the latter. 

30 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

I wonder if they were to basically flatten the entrance and start again, if closed season would be enough time to do so, or if they'd have to allow construction to result in a temporary entrance for part of the season? I'm guessing the latter. 

Well technically the past few years ( not this year) they’ve tried to upgrade the security check area, fencing, CCTV cameras ect. So I can’t see them straying away with what they have just yet.

I agree, it all needs to be knocked down. They just need to make the area bigger and feel welcoming also include some theming pieces.

I dont think any Merlin park has a good entrance. Chessington is spacious but bland, Alton towers has been crammed with tents

On 5/15/2023 at 8:39 AM, MattyMoo said:

1.png

I'm not 100% sure if the park own the hardware or if it's leased. What I do know is that https://www.adi.tv/ were the ones who installed it. So either the park don't have/arent willing to spend the budget to fix it, or adi's maintenance service is piss poor, which I am very sure it's not. They're one of the leaders in this space.

2AFD9FE6-6C92-40EE-9E55-3028D6D00794.thumb.jpeg.4bbf2a366394ebeb3774d0c86d4ea062.jpegE3149199-CF14-4773-AC6B-812CD36F7C92.thumb.jpeg.7eec9b1ddad5b80a16cdb745b24e487c.jpeg2FF7D2A6-B67D-4978-BB86-A11E1FD393DA.thumb.jpeg.5cc55ca2a92304e21a258de3be2a18df.jpeg21DBEE8E-B8EF-4ED5-B42A-9F4C02810BB8.thumb.jpeg.3ac0559f8b6bc459b4325897a6fdee37.jpeg

From the passholder group, the Mardi Gras Crewe’s! Glam, Love, Funk, Soul.

It’s very Starbucks Girl to put it lightly. Instagramable…. 
I’m sure the reasoning will be made clear by costumes ect. However, at least last year it was stylised to the rides and made sense. 

The detail on the pieces is amazing I must say!

I love events as a regular visitor, however shows really confuse me. Don’t get me wrong they are good and would fit in with Chessington.  

At Thorpe due to the marketing and lack of rides for kids, it’s strange as there’s only a limited audience as most people wouldn’t watch it as a teenager or even adult without kids. I’ve only seen a handful for the thrill makers show. Bring back a stunt show.

I really do think Merlin, or at the very least Thorpe's very own creative team, finally 'get it' now. There has been massive improvements company-wide on not only the rides and attractions but the events and general tidiness of all the parks, it's really nice to see. I mean, if you were to tell me a couple of years ago that Duel at Alton Towers would be turned into a world-class dark ride I would've thought you were insane. Just a shame that the main thing that lets them all down now is the ridiculous food, but that's more on Aramark than Merlin I suppose.

I can't imagine Aramark having their contracts renewed once this period is up - there's no chance that any Merlin exec is seeing all of the negative press surrounding them and not making an internal note. Yeah I get that at the end of the day it all comes down to financials, but when people stop going to the parks or eating at the parks entirely, even paying Aramark for their services will become not financially viable.

33 minutes ago, coasterverse said:

I really do think Merlin, or at the very least Thorpe's very own creative team, finally 'get it' now. There has been massive improvements company-wide on not only the rides and attractions but the events and general tidiness of all the parks, it's really nice to see. I mean, if you were to tell me a couple of years ago that Duel at Alton Towers would be turned into a world-class dark ride I would've thought you were insane. Just a shame that the main thing that lets them all down now is the ridiculous food, but that's more on Aramark than Merlin I suppose.

I can't imagine Aramark having their contracts renewed once this period is up - there's no chance that any Merlin exec is seeing all of the negative press surrounding them and not making an internal note. Yeah I get that at the end of the day it all comes down to financials, but when people stop going to the parks or eating at the parks entirely, even paying Aramark for their services will become not financially viable.

100% agree with all of what you’ve said. They definitely finally get it. In the insta world in which we live in, the giant lettering including all the detail is such a great move on the parks behalf. Not only from a marketing perspective, I think it lifts the visuals of the park and really uplifts it. 

I really hope they continue this momentum, and having seen the work on jumanji, am really excited by what they might do for the opening of exodus next year. Come on Merlin, keep it going. 

On the Aramark subject. Yeah, big mistake, hopefully they can terminate the contract sooner rather than later. As soon as I heard they were involved with Aramark I was concerned, they have a horrendous rep and it’s not only poor quality but overpriced 

48 minutes ago, StevenVig said:

Just a note on Aramark

On my visit to Chessington yesterday, my group and I deliberately left the park, to have a meal at the neighbouring Beefeater, and then re-entered. Saved a considerable amount, and the food quality was far superior.

That says it all.

I don't agree with a lot of what you say, but my word you know things are bad when visiting a BEEFEATER is cheaper than eating on park. Now that's saying something.

Agree with Aramark comments, had such a good day at Jumanji preview came out to go to burger kitchen, minimum £13 a meal. Which I don’t mind,  but it’s just the quality is so rubbish. If I was getting a premium burger then I don’t mind. I feel like they’ve just copied Disneyland paris and assumed it was okay to charge that.

Luckily, Thorpe hasn’t been affected too much by Aramark and most has been beneficial. Last call cafe is quite expensive though, but if you want a semi healthy meal you can get a panini.

it pains me to see that they were charging £7.50 for a hot dog fries and drink meal a few years back and now it’s £11.50

Had a sticky beef Po' Boy (essentially like a posh-ish kebab/sub) yesterday on the Island Like No Other, with cajun fries - this was from one of the pop up Mardi Gras food stalls which are not Aramark run. £14.50 in total for both, and it was genuinely decent. Pint of Camden Pale was £6.75 but had to be done because sunshine innit.

Similarly, at Fright Nights I bought food on two occasions from the Ghost Train Smokehouse near the teacups, again, external, and was very good indeed.

So basically, just go when there are pop up traders xoxo

20230518_130353.jpg