Legoland

NickD

According to Southparks Legoland Windsor Resort have unveiled a 10 year master plan for the resort, in response to feedback from a consultation in 2015.

The main points to note are:

• Ghost is still going ahead, but won't open until 2019 or 2021 (maybe based around investment cycles)
  • Further accommodation will be built in the form of a holiday village on land purchased at the back of the park
  • 450 lodges will be built in two phases 
  • The car park will undergo improvements due to issues with flooding 
  • A total investment cost of 95 million is expected 

Hopefully we will see further park investment too and I would also like to see some secondary attractions too, such as high ropes and crazy golf maybe, but I suppose planning could be the problem.

• 1 month later...

Oh right you're thinking of the new track they added a couple years ago as a "refresh", yes it's an unnecessary change to something that was great as it was before I think, but what you heard is now the 'correct' track. The original was a great piece, will always be the real music everyone who best  knew the ride. :)

The original Dragon music used to be synced to the ride and would play out loud and proud at the ride entrance and banquet scene of the ride. There were also sound effects in the queue turrets for the witch and wizard figures including some sort of poem. Andrew McKenna was the composer.

Around 2010/2011 this was changed for the new Lewis Cox soundtrack with the original at the time disused and sound effects removed and replaced by television screens of author Michael Rosen narrating.

This was further changed a couple years later where both music pieces are now played throughout the ride alongside new videos showing off the ride and explaining safety. 

Right, so I ninjago'ed to Legoland today to try out the new ride and can say I'm quite impressed with the new addition.

The technology and effects used throughout the ride are surprisingly good, from the water effect in the queue line to the fire and wind elements on the first scene (trying not to give too much away here). Queue line is surprisingly well themed as is most of the exterior (some bits look a bit warehousey still).

I think there's still some tweaks from the looks but what they've got there is good for the park and the queue was moving fairly quickly too during the visit. It was mostly screen based but did have some physical theming inside too. Kind of had elements of Ratatouille and Maus Au Chocolate too.

Rating 7/10

Great to see the park install what's probably been their biggest investment for at least eight years amongst gaining their third major dark ride. This park may only be second to Blackpool now when it comes to indoor rides in the UK now.

I have a review, with spoilers, of Ninjago here - 

It is a fun ride, and something which will definitely help appeal to the older kids who visit Legoland.  It's clear that the queue line wasn't finished on Saturday - exterior walls still needing to be built, interior walls and floors needing painting / dusting, etc., but the ride itself is fully ready, so it's only a very minor thing which I doubt many people picked up on.

The ride team were really getting people through quickly (and safely of course), so the throughput must be good.  Fingers crossed they can keep that up.  Means that a full queue would only take about an hour, which is impressive.  Also nice to see themed uniforms (ninja cloaks) for the staff.  

There's also this nice Lego feature, where people can build their own Lego things and attach it to the hill:

18664415_10213059753151544_7813095186283

So yeah, Ninjago is a fab attraction really.  It won't set the world on fire, but it's fun and perfect for Legoland.  Would recommend people try it if they can.

I thought this ride was a good addition to the UK theme park attraction line-up. It was very reminiscent of Maus au Chocolat - although not quite as good! I like the different approach to interactivity through using your hands - but have to say I think this technology could do with some improvements - It just didn't feel very responsive and felt quite frustrating - it's very confusing as to what is actually happening - and the visuals are just chaotic, it was also very tiring - I'm not sure how younger kids will cope with that aspect!..... it just didn't feel very satisfying - and at the end I was kind of exhausted and stressed lol! 

The carriages where very funky - and the multi-sensory effects where great - but maybe they could add more....maybe they will! also the lack of practical effects was obvious 

• 1 month later...