Legoland

NickD

• 3 months later...

Aside from Monster Party, the park has been busy updating and refreshing existing areas, most of which looks noticeably better. Source- Scream Seekers

53926450_1635453789890896_33625392247073

54255044_1635466266556315_79770537797468

54432468_1635592666543675_75638395889935

They’ve also updated the entrance area too which looks much more refreshed now too.

54155000_1635530366549905_45919304530610

The front section of the Monster Party looks great, however it is extremely disappointing to see (what is essentially) the whole ride warehouse on display. The ‘cheap’ vinyl printings somehow make it look even worse and imply these eyesores are here to stay.

However, something worse has arisen,

E2C86488-E906-443F-9F47-6FD439C5DBAB.thumb.png.538c5983b0465eb87489b92b57d1ab9d.png

Anyone remember the viewing area near the Dragon coaster?

54433864_1635590889877186_34540809550634

53563599_1635591053210503_31527589688377

This is what it looks like now!

Obviously, the original area needed to be replaced, because it been around all those years however the park appears to have gone for the cheapest fix.

This is is extremely disappointing to witness as not only could you witness some interesting views of the ride in action, but considerably less opportunities for people to watch the ride. I understand safety is paramount, but surely they could’ve implemented a way of keeping the view (higher fences, clear plastic).

Seeing features like the ‘themed Tree’, castle chandeliers and turret theming removed over the years is saddening to witness, especially being one growing up with the park since it’s early years. 

One step forwards, theee steps back!

Visited the park today, and probably a controversial opinion, but the warehouse of Monster Party isn't that bad.

Yes, it's there, yes you can see it. But it's not as much of an eyesore as I'd thought it would be. And once trees have grown in, it will be less of an issue.

IMG_20190317_101352.jpg

View from Coastguard HQ

IMG_20190317_102927.jpg

From the arena. Trees will no doubt hide this in time

IMG_20190317_102047.jpg

Fairly decent shot of the main exterior, which does look good

IMG_20190317_102057.jpg

Abymsal entrance logo

I'm not for one minute saying this is good. Far from it. But it's not terrible; there's certainly worse examples of sheds which stick out.

There's two things I don't like though. 

1) That abysmally bland entrance sign

2) The fact the park has lost a green, peaceful space AND introduced a smaller pathway in what will be a busier area.

I'm looking forward to trying it though. It will be interesting seeing the blend of family and scare and how that's received in a British Legoland.

Oh, also, this £1.5m refresh of the park.. Aside from The Beginning, I didn't really notice much? It's been almost a year since I visited, so maybe I didn't see what a state some areas were in before. But the park never felt that run down to me before (aside from the entrance needing a bit of TLC), and it doesn't feel any different now.

2 hours ago, JoshC. said:

But the park never felt that run down to me before (aside from the entrance needing a bit of TLC), and it doesn't feel any different now.

It was really lacking colour, life, much had peeling paint (especially Laser Raiders) and many models were looking very tired. Lots of vinyl signage has been replaced by 3D (or at least more interesting) signage.

It's not a drastic change, but it's a lot more extensive than you make out to be fair. It's little things that aren't meant to be noticed individually but all add to an overall improvement. If it continues like this the park will be MUCH improved.

Out of interest have you visited any of the other Legoland parks? (the pre Merlin ones, but even some of those are better) Windsor used to be much like those others, the difference since then is kind of shocking and sad.

Those trees behind the harbour havnt grown much in the last 20 years, I'm wondering how much more theyd have to grow to hide that huge horrid shed. It's pretty much the worse shed I've ever seen in a UK park. It's not a crime against humanity but the more this kind of thing is widely accepted as 'not that bad' the more in the gutter UK parks will become.

5 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

It's not a drastic change, but it's a lot more extensive than you make out to be fair. It's little things that aren't meant to be noticed individually but all add to an overall improvement. If it continues like this the park will be MUCH improved.

Oh I'm sure there's lots of little things that have been done that I haven't seen. But equally, hearing of a large sum of money being invested into the presentation of the park, I guess I expected things to feel different. Aside from The Beginning, the park looked and felt very much the same as it did last year. Laser Raiders literally didn't look or feel any different to me?

Maybe it's just me being less observant (since when I visit my focus is obviously geared towards the younger members in my group). But after hearing people say the park looks a lot better, I just didn't see that. And that's not a criticism per second, since I didn't really think the park was in bad shape in the first place, just a passing comment. Haven't visited other Legolands so can't really comment.

5 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

It's pretty much the worse shed I've ever seen in a UK park. It's not a crime against humanity but the more this kind of thing is widely accepted as 'not that bad' the more in the gutter UK parks will become.

This is exactly the conclusion I didn't want people to draw from my comment. I'm not accepting it, but it's simply a case of it's not as awful as pictures make it out to be. You notice it if you look for it, but it really doesn't scream out as ugly.

There's a million and one ways they could make it better, but it's not as bad as some have bad it out to be.

I genuinely had to look at a 'before' photo to realise what the difference was:

pharaohs1.jpg

It says more about me then the quality of the work, but when I was there, I genuinely did not think 'huh, this looks new'. Equally, I personally didn't think there was a problem with the old exterior (though I guess it could probably have done with a clean?)

25 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

t says more about me then the quality of the work, but when I was there, I genuinely did not think 'huh, this looks new'. Equally, I personally didn't think there was a problem with the old exterior (though I guess it could probably have done with a clean?)

Well fair enough! Personally I disagree, even without me caring about Laser Raiders (or much about Lego), I thought the change there was super refreshing and much more in the style of Lego. If I could find a photo of what it looked like in recent years I would, most the paint had peeled right off and it looked god awful! It was one of the worst parts the park.

39 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

I'm not accepting it, but it's simply a case of it's not as awful as pictures make it out to be. You notice it if you look for it, but it really doesn't scream out as ugly.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth if you genuinly dont mean that. But even right there, in the same sentence you just accepted it by saying you only notice if you look for it. What I mean is, it may not be 'as bad' as the impression some get online, but it's still unacceptably poor and I don't think Merlin care whether trees will help cover it or not!

It's not an enormous change but it shows at least they recognise the park needed work. It's only paint and signs so far, but hopefully it's the beginning of more.

Simple things like painting the ugly concrete walls of the rapids really help too.

I think kids and the many regular visitors will be much more impressionable over things like this, even if they didn't know what it looked like before.