Legoland

NickD

4 hours ago, Martin Doyle said:

If people still dont understand why I spell Merlin with a pound sign replacing the e, let the below image answer that question for you.

received_200455268268702.thumb.jpeg.3d940b231914a9ed4c1a6217bdc349a9.jpeg

You will see less pants being pulled down if you went to the Amsterdam Red Light District. Gordon Ramsay best be doing the pizza for that price.

This is absolutely stupid- I thought Merlin actually were pretty good with providing varied and actually not too expensive food. This makes Disney look cheap, for Pizza that is not even that high of quality. Not too long ago we could get unlimited for cheaper.. I'd rather order Pizza to get delivered to the car park for cheaper lol.

Honestly I will bloody pack sandwiches if I have to next time I visit a Merlin park.

16 minutes ago, JoshuaWAH said:

This is absolutely stupid- I thought Merlin actually were pretty good with providing varied and actually not too expensive food. This makes Disney look cheap, for Pizza that is not even that high of quality. Not too long ago we could get unlimited for cheaper.. I'd rather order Pizza to get delivered to the car park for cheaper lol.

Honestly I will bloody pack sandwiches if I have to next time I visit a Merlin park.

Why are we blaming Merlin? Are we seeing the same pricepoint at Alton, Thorpe, Chessington? - Nope.

Its Lego, and its always been the case.

MRW i am a Lego buying expensive coffee. - GIF on Imgur

Just now, Glitch said:

Why are we blaming Merlin? Are we seeing the same pricepoint at Alton, Thorpe, Chessington? - Nope.

Its Lego, and its always been the case.

MRW i am a Lego buying expensive coffee. - GIF on Imgur

Even the value nowadays at the pizza pasta places is bad- but here at Legoland the price point is extortionate. This is more expensive than Disney and Universal, which are overpriced in itself..

I'm blaming Merlin because it is a bloody Merlin park. Who runs it? Merlin. Lego is just a brand that happens

to bring in the people. There is being smart and charging a bit more, and then there is daylight robbery like this price point we see here today. Would you pay for this? Would you buy this meal and feel like you got a inch of value for money?

13 hours ago, JoshuaWAH said:

Even the value nowadays at the pizza pasta places is bad- but here at Legoland the price point is extortionate. This is more expensive than Disney and Universal, which are overpriced in itself..

I'm blaming Merlin because it is a bloody Merlin park. Who runs it? Merlin. Lego is just a brand that happens

to bring in the people. There is being smart and charging a bit more, and then there is daylight robbery like this price point we see here today. Would you pay for this? Would you buy this meal and feel like you got a inch of value for money?

And who owns Merlin? - Lego, they will, always have a premium price on their products plus the extra cut they want to take on top of the normal theme park revenue. 

With prices so high however that may prevent people from buying Lego in the first place, the reason why the park is even there in the first place.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Lego Mythica area opened last month. 

I went to Legoland Friday evening for an Annual Passholder event (was very quiet, but largely because of the downpour of rain all day).

Flight of the Sky Lion was my first flying theatre and it was pretty decent. A very fast paced experience for the film. At times it would have been nice to just take things in a bit more a 'fly' around (which I hear other such rides do a bit more?). I sometimes struggle with a bit of a motion sickness of some motion simulators, but this was fine, though I felt a bit queazy about 3/4 of the way through.

My biggest pet peeve is the fact you can see the edge of the screen at the top, and the roof as a result. It's particularly jarring given the screen extends to the floor, so looking down to fine, but looking towards to top is a bit awkward. Not sure if this is a common problem with flying theatres though..? The queue line, as already pointed out, is pretty dreadful. I hate to think what it's like on a hot day..

The Mythica land is solid as well. Well presented and nice theming, plus bringing attention to a previously quieter part of the park. Definitely think it's much better than the originally planned Lego Movie World would have been too.

All in all, an impressive addition to the park. Would recommend giving a shot.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, JoshC. said:

The Lego Mythica area opened last month. 

I went to Legoland Friday evening for an Annual Passholder event (was very quiet, but largely because of the downpour of rain all day).

Flight of the Sky Lion was my first flying theatre and it was pretty decent. A very fast paced experience for the film. At times it would have been nice to just take things in a bit more a 'fly' around (which I hear other such rides do a bit more?). I sometimes struggle with a bit of a motion sickness of some motion simulators, but this was fine, though I felt a bit queazy about 3/4 of the way through.

My biggest pet peeve is the fact you can see the edge of the screen at the top, and the roof as a result. It's particularly jarring given the screen extends to the floor, so looking down to fine, but looking towards to top is a bit awkward. Not sure if this is a common problem with flying theatres though..? The queue line, as already pointed out, is pretty dreadful. I hate to think what it's like on a hot day..

The Mythica land is solid as well. Well presented and nice theming, plus bringing attention to a previously quieter part of the park. Definitely think it's much better than the originally planned Lego Movie World would have been too.

All in all, an impressive addition to the park. Would recommend giving a shot.

Sorted it....

If you keep getting distracted at work, how about wearing this FocusCap? |  Metro News

I managed to ride Flight Of The Skylion yesterday.

It’s certainly a truly unique attraction to the park and the U.K, a bit like a cross between a simulator and a 4D movie but I guess that’s what a flying theatre is. 
7D913923-2822-483A-95BD-E566BAA8A861.thumb.jpeg.edc3cdb8174b635ea71b56d130722f8f.jpeg

The pre-show was simple but funny enough, mostly explaining the process. The actual ride however was surprisingly impressive and the setting works out remarkably well. The ceiling was the only potential setback, but I personally consider this one of the best additions at the park to date.

One could say it’s Lego’s take on Flight Of Passage, but I personally think it works. Volatarium is probably still my favourite type of these for now though.

Rest of the area looks surprisingly great . The new drop towers were fun and the “rethemed” Hydras Challenge (formerly Squid Surfer) looks much better! Only complaint was the service and food quality at the Hungry Troll could’ve been better.

The Flight Of The Sky Lion really impressed me - I booked Legoland not realising I’d booked the day the new area opened so it was crazy busy - visited another time so have had 2 goes on it which was fab.

Hydras Challenge is a much needed improvement to squid surfer which was looking a tad grim and dirty before.  

@Matt Creek service was dire in that chippy when I went - massive queue to get in, nowhere to sit - oh and they expect you to eat fish with your fingers.  The chips are nice though 

• 6 months later...

Now here's something out of no where: Legoland have shared a glimpse into the future, stating their intent to apply for plans for an adventure golf course, with a "new roller coaster investment" on the horizon too: https://www.windsorobserver.co.uk/news/19849032.legoland-windsor-plans-build-new-adventure-golf-course/

The famous theme park near the historic town has shared plans it will soon submit to the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Council to construct an indoor attraction for guests visiting the resort as well as those staying overnight to enjoy in the evening.

Councillors and residents sitting on the Windsor town forum heard the proposed addition will have up to three golf courses with different LEGO themes and branding.

They're citing the potential threat of London Resort a reason for these investments:

An upcoming visitor attraction in Kent called London Resort could draw guests away from LEGOLAND and the theme park needs to “up its game”.
If approved, the golf course could be erected on one of the car parks to the west of LEGOLAND – but details are yet to be finalised.

David Pugh, consultation advisor to LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, said: “This is about attracting more people to the local area with a diversified offer [as] part of the wider holidays package.”
He also said a new “rollercoaster plan” will be coming forward and parts of the theme park will be “refreshed”.

An adventure golf course will certainly add to the park and resort in a worthwhile way. I honestly think that more and more resort parks should have adventure gold courses - compared to most theme park attractions, even a good quality one is only a comparatively small investment. They are low cost in maintenance, cheap to operate in terms of staffing and you can justifiably upcharge for it.
Plus, I think a Lego-themed mini golf just sounds like a great idea.

The "new coaster investment" is interesting. I've heard rumblings of a B&M going to Windsor. Personally, I think that's just rumours coming from people seeing the Legolands in China and putting 2 and 2 together to get 5. And I would have laughed the idea out the window a year ago. But with Chessington getting a B&M, and obviously multiple B&Ms in the Chinese Legoland parks looking likely, it's not the craziest suggestion right now.

Legoland Windsor has many planning obstacles, and they're low on usable space. Even with the focus on the younger market, they do need another family coaster imo. Their recent dark ride additions have been very 'for all the family' orientated, so having a new coaster catering for that market isn't out of the question. But yeah, will be very interesting to see what they do.

I do wonder if there have been an internal shift in philosophy about the likelihood of London Resort, given it's been quoted as a need for investment multiple times. Again, my opinion would be that they're still not worried about it, and still pretty sceptical that it will ever open, but there's certainly no harm in them playing off it to push through new investments.

Out of all the UK Merlin parks, Legoland has seen some of the most consistent and well thought-out additions over the last 7-10 years really, so this isn't anything new. But it's good it continue under the changes at the top of Merlin (even if it's not a surprise!).

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is going to sound slightly random, but I have a question to those who’ve ridden Sky Lion this year in terms of their thoughts on the ride, if you don’t mind me asking.

Warning: Minor spoilers for those who haven’t ridden.
Is it only me who felt that the ride could have used a bit of feedback to what was happening on screen through the use of physical effects? For instance, I’m talking about things like it squirting you with water when you travel through water on the film, or blasting some hot air at you when you travel through the hotter environment. Personally, I did feel like some of this would improve the ride, and my parents both agreed with me; it was one of the first things they said to me when we got off. We all expressed feelings that there were points where we were expecting a water squirt or whatever and it didn’t come.

Don’t get me wrong, I thought Sky Lion was a great dark ride (one of my favourites in the UK) that’s really fun to ride, and I overall thought they did a great job with it! That is literally the most picky of flaws I could find in it, but it was something I did personally notice.

Spoilers ending

Does anyone else think this? Or am I literally the most petty reviewer ever?

On 1/30/2022 at 10:16 PM, Matt N said:

I know this is going to sound slightly random, but I have a question to those who’ve ridden Sky Lion this year in terms of their thoughts on the ride, if you don’t mind me asking.

Warning: Minor spoilers for those who haven’t ridden.
Is it only me who felt that the ride could have used a bit of feedback to what was happening on screen through the use of physical effects? For instance, I’m talking about things like it squirting you with water when you travel through water on the film, or blasting some hot air at you when you travel through the hotter environment. Personally, I did feel like some of this would improve the ride, and my parents both agreed with me; it was one of the first things they said to me when we got off. We all expressed feelings that there were points where we were expecting a water squirt or whatever and it didn’t come.

Don’t get me wrong, I thought Sky Lion was a great dark ride (one of my favourites in the UK) that’s really fun to ride, and I overall thought they did a great job with it! That is literally the most picky of flaws I could find in it, but it was something I did personally notice.

Spoilers ending

Does anyone else think this? Or am I literally the most petty reviewer ever?

I haven’t ridden the ride yet, I hope to in March. But perhaps it’s for accessibility reasons and to prevent sensory overloads although a flying cinema probably already does that.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Legoland have applied for a “certificate of lawfulness” to determine whether the installation of a duelling roller coaster on the site of Raft Racers is lawful: https://publicaccess.rbwm.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=RH6D7GNIMSS00&activeTab=summary

It would appear that the park is planning to install duelling family boomerang-style coasters on the site of Raft Racers.

Interestingly, the track design and airgate design in the plans greatly resembles a Zierer Force coaster as opposed to Vekoma’s typical Family Boomerang design, suggesting that there’s a chance that Zierer could be the manufacturer rather than Vekoma. Merlin have worked with Zierer quite a bit in the past when it comes to coasters in Legoland parks, so I wouldn’t be overly surprised if it was a Zierer.

I actually think this will be a really good addition to the park! It suits the demographic well, in my opinion, and the duelling factor should ensure that the capacity is fairly decent!

• 1 month later...

Danny on TowersStreet Talk has made an interesting discovery within Zierer's IAAPA product magazine that arguably drops a heavy hint towards Legoland's new coaster being a Zierer family shuttle rather than a Vekoma Family Boomerang, and also provides an insight into a potential theme for the new ride:

Zierer-Brochure-1.pngZierer-Brochure-2.png

I don't know about any of you, but that "Dueling Reverse Coaster" looks exactly like Legoland's proposed layout to me, and the cops and robbers type trains in the left image could possibly hint towards a Lego City theme, in my view. That would certainly suit both Lego and a duelling roller coaster, so would work well, in my view.

P.S. Here's Danny's TowersStreet post: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/legoland-windsor.67/page-77#post-382844

27 minutes ago, Matt N said:

Danny on TowersStreet Talk has made an interesting discovery within Zierer's IAAPA product magazine that arguably drops a heavy hint towards Legoland's new coaster being a Zierer family shuttle rather than a Vekoma Family Boomerang, and also provides an insight into a potential theme for the new ride:

Zierer-Brochure-1.pngZierer-Brochure-2.png

I don't know about any of you, but that "Dueling Reverse Coaster" looks exactly like Legoland's proposed layout to me, and the cops and robbers type trains in the left image could possibly hint towards a Lego City theme, in my view. That would certainly suit both Lego and a duelling roller coaster, so would work well, in my view.

P.S. Here's Danny's TowersStreet post: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/legoland-windsor.67/page-77#post-382844

@Matt N If the new Legoland Rollercoaster will have this theme, I think it should be built in Lego City formally known as Traffic. Having a mildly thrilling transport themed Rollercoaster in Duplo Vally will look wrong. Considering Duplo Vally is primerally aimed at younger guests the placement is even more obscure. I suppose Duplo Vally could be condensed with half being rethemed to Lego city. The new Lego City could be a spiritual successor to the original l that is now Heartlake City. Following this retheme the current Lego City could become traffic once more. I've always thought the renaming of Traffic was ludicrous. When I think of Citys Shops,Eaterys,and entertainment venues come to mind. I certainly don't think soley of Transport. If part of Duplo Vally is transformed into Lego City, I think the remaining area needs an overhaul. I certainly think the broken theming on Fairytale Brook needs to be repaired. Additionally, I think the water squirters should be reintroduced. The surprise of getting wet added an element of suspense and fun.

Was the Dino Safari Ride system sold on? Drusillas Park recently opened a new ride area. In this area is a ride that has a uncanny resemblance to Dino Safari. Obviously, this is excluding the theme as Drusilla's ride is themed to the Jungle. I presume the ride was second hand as it took less than 6 months to construct. I know Merlin, the owners of LEGOLAND, have a history of selling unwanted rides. Because of this my suspicions are raised. A major thing to mention is that the Dino Safari ride system that was previously stored near the Hotel disappeared in the last couple of years. If Dino Safari is now at Drusillas Park, it's refreshing to know the rides still entertaining guests. I like it when Parks purchase second hand rides rather than new ones. Not only is scrapping a perfectly working ride a waste but it saves the environment. Building new ride hardware involves creating more plastic,Metal,Cables etc. Everybody knows that the more plastic in this world the greater the damaged caused to the world.