Dobble Tea Party / Storm In A Teacup

Tom

I would really love to know why Merlin feel the need to receive sponsorship to get rid of some cobwebs and give the ride a lick of paint.

Looks better than Pleasure Beach's Tetley Tea Cups on the plus side...I vaguely remember it from a few years back without the Tetley on it; and I also agree it was better prior sponsorship. But in my view, it's still the same ride. Still fun. Still spins faster than Maurader's (or I can spin it faster) so I'm happy whatever it's sponsored by. Could be sponsored by Mr Kipling and be called "The Viennese Whirls" and I wouldn't mind too much. Yeah it ruins the theme a bit, but as long as Stealth doesn't get painted red and blue and sponsored by Pepsi Max it's only small scale. I mean who'd be stupid enough to do that to a ride anyway? Oh wait Posted Image

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd much rather a ride where you can vary the ride experience and is just sheer fun than a bog-standard, fairground ride, which offers the same experience every time, and would essentially be a step backwards for the park, considering they got rid of a Twister-like ride 10 years ago. Unlike a dodgems ride, it would be a needless addition.

Plus, I doubt there's enough room for a Twister and associated queue line in that space.

KEEP THE TEACUPS!!

• 1 month later...

Another case of not putting it on the website!

Three rides closed and one operating on a dire cycle is not acceptable for a busy day in the holidays.
They are a joke, trying to market themselves as a family park with very few family attractions, then not even putting anywhere online that two of them are closed! (Zodiac and Storm in a Teacup).

Very poor.

Another case of not putting it on the website!

Three rides closed and one operating on a dire cycle is not acceptable for a busy day in the holidays.

They are a joke, trying to market themselves as a family park with very few family attractions, then not even putting anywhere online that two of them are closed! (Zodiac and Storm in a Teacup).

Very poor.

I agree with you about the website thing, and it's not good to have 3 rides at any time of the year, worst of all during holiday-time. It's even worse that the park are trying to build up they're reputation with families again and they've had this bad luck.

However, I disagree with you about the lack of family attractions:

X

Flying Fish

Storm Surge

Loggers Leap

Rumba Rapids

Zodiac

Quantum

Depth Charge

Banana Boat

Rocky Express

The last two are more orientated to younger audiences as well in my opinion. You could even throw in Tidal Wave to that list if you really wanted, but more for really hot days.

So that's a good 10 or 11 family rides I see there, about the same number of thrill rides. I grant you, if you were a family going in the next few days, ride-wise, there's probably not enough to keep you entertained for the entire today, but there's enough there for the most part. I think what needs to be kept in mind is whilst Thorpe are going for a family audience now, it seems like they're wanting families with slightly older kids; possibly with kids from ages 8 upwards. From about 8 or 9, I bet a fair few kids will be able to go on the likes of Rush and Detonator as well, so in some respects, they are rides which will appeal to a Thorpe-going family.

I think once Angry Birds Land opens as well, there's a good number of family rides to keep that sort of family entertained for a day. Given a couple more years, I'd hope - and am expecting - Thorpe will be a fantastic family park. It's just a case of they need to start somewhere..

I agree with you about the website thing, and it's not good to have 3 rides at any time of the year, worst of all during holiday-time. It's even worse that the park are trying to build up they're reputation with families again and they've had this bad luck.

However, I disagree with you about the lack of family attractions:

X

Flying Fish

Storm Surge

Loggers Leap

Rumba Rapids

Zodiac

Quantum

Depth Charge

Banana Boat

Rocky Express

The trouble is, a lot of those are neglected. Rumba and Loggers are both in a dire state (and I've heard families commenting the same), Storm Surge is awful and things like the Banana Boat barely make it off the ground anymore!

I suppose they have an acceptable level of family attractions though, once Angry Birds opens there will be a few more.

Went on the tea cups on Tuesday and the central wheel on my cup was very stiff. Could barely move it during the whole ride and struggled to get a decent spin from it.

I think the ride needs some work done to it, because the tea cup wheels are so stiff there now and also one the turn table platforms with the cups on hasn't been spinning all season. Legoland's Spinning Spider is far easier to spin on the wheel and can reach a fast speed when done right.

I love storm in a tea cup, but they need to grease the wheels and get that other turn table working so it became a better ride.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Mattgwise changed the title to Dobble Tea Party / Storm In A Teacup