Adventure Island - Southend

Jamie_Hk

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

but with adventure island I found it plain + tacky if I'm honest - it has no atmosphere.

Well yeah, British seaside resort related things are tacky... Ever been to Blackpool? Tack central...AI is a fine enough place though... It has a decent enough atmosphere...

• 5 months later...

Interested to see what it will be (especially as it sounds as if it is being built in house), also the park is closed in Jan/Feb for construction to take place;From an interview with Philip Miller, Park Owner.

The park is unusual among UK parks for a couple of reasons. Firstly the park has a 12 month season and secondly the park regularly remains open until late in the evening. Are these factors important to your business model?Staying open until late in the evenings is a vital part of the parks business model and we generally find that out of town customers visit during the day, while our regular local customers normally visit in the evening and take advantage of our Half Price Wristbands after 6pm. However opening all year round is not as important to our business model as staying open until late in the evening, in fact we have recently decided to close completely throughout December 2010 and January 2011 due to the large amount of construction work that is taking place for our 2011 additions.

http://www.gforcemag.com/2010/profiled-philip-miller/

Ok...The new ride(s) at Adventure Island for 2011. Well, early marketing drafts said 'three new rides', I'm not convinced there will be three but I think it's pretty likely there'll be two...'Project G-Force' is currently being constructed by the park's own workshop team and is a new unique ride, it's hard to explain what it's going to do - think along the lines of a Power Surge but not quite.There will probably be a new juvenile as well, no idea what or where from, but the park has been talking to a lot of manufacturers. If the third ride happens, expect it to be something pretty big. I've a feeling whatever the big one may be will be saved for 2012 though.Of course, there's going to be regular updates over at The Adventure Island Guide, and as soon as anything is confirmed by the park it'll be on there.

Got confirmation from the park today that there's going to be two new attractions next year...'Project G-Force' is a flat ride currently under construction in the park's workshop, it will be another home-built unique ride, but with a much higher level of intensity than anything the park have bult before.The other new ride will be a junior coaster from Zamperla. I don't know much else about it at the moment but apparently they've only made one other coaster of this type. I've got a feeling it'll be similar to the Circus Coaster at Luna Park.The coaster will be on the former site of the Lucky Strike arcade, by the Gold Mine. It'll be accompanied by the Dragon roundabout which is being relocated to that area, making space on the east side for the new flat ride.'Project G-Force', which is probably going to have a time machine theme, will be opening early next year, probably Feb-March. The coaster will follow around April, hopefully before Easter.

• 3 weeks later...

Philip Miller, Chief Exec;We have a unique new ride that has been designed and is being manufactured by the team here, and will take its place on the East side of the park. We have also just signed the contract for another rollercoaster for all ages that will be located on the site of the former Lucky Strike Arcade. We also have plans for another superb restaurant.

He also talks about how it wasn't their best year in 2010 but they're happy that they have continued to do well despite the recession. SOURCE

• 2 months later...

We’re introducing two new attractions for 2011, the thrilling experience of the Time Machine on the east side of the park, and the more family-friendly roller coaster ride Kiddi Koasta on the west side at the ‘little end’.Both rides are planned to be open in time for peak season, we’ll keep you updated on the exact dates!

• 3 months later...

I don't think it's there yet. I was at Peter Pans (as it should be called!) last weekend and didn't notice it. I think a big new shiny ride would stand out to me, but I was not really looking for it as I didn't know it was coming.Quite intrigued by the idea of an in house ride, love that they try this sort of thing. Can't wait to know what it is going to be.

• 6 months later...

Well one of the 2011 rides didn't make it for 2011, but is on the way for 2012.'Time Machine' is an in house build so should be quite unique. The only thing I think that has been confirmed is that it will invert so should be a thrill ride. Hurri has put some closed season updates on adventure island guide, the dragon ride is being moved to make way and the first shots of time machine seem to be the seating......Posted ImagePosted ImageSo it looks like lap bars, not OTSRs, for an inverting flat. Could be very interesting!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unbelievably, they've actually started building this thing!!!Posted ImagePosted ImageAnd a peak of it assembled in the workshopPosted ImagePics from en Mower on AIG.Intriguing, I call it some sort of seated round-up/hearts&diamonds/whateveryoucallitroundyourparts, based on what appears to be a lifting arm with a rotating roundish platform on it. Possibly with a canopy to make it dark? Hopefully they'll manage to open it this year....

• 2 months later...

Surely, considering the ride position, this ride would be dangerous if the duration lasted over something like a minute? I only say this because the ride position looks like it might cause severe lack of blood to the head/insufficient distribution of brain fluids under the continuous centripetal force, even when the ride is erect.

Someone more in the know about these things tell me there's nothing to worry about because I really don't see how that ride position is safe.

Surely, considering the ride position, this ride would be dangerous if the duration lasted over something like a minute? I only say this because the ride position looks like it might cause severe lack of blood to the head/insufficient distribution of brain fluids under the continuous centripetal force, even when the ride is erect.

Someone more in the know about these things tell me there's nothing to worry about because I really don't see how that ride position is safe.

I see where you're coming from but when sat in and the seats rotated to your right then it'll be the same sort of seating position as a KMG XLR8...Would it not?

Tom.