Adventure Island - Southend

Jamie_Hk

• 1 month later...

The staff at AI are really enthusiastic and interact well with the GP and I have no idea where this has come from. For the past 7+ years I've been going there they were incredibly miserable and only spoke to you to have a go about something. They all seem to be younger aswell, so I have a feeling they may of sacked quite a few of the older, more 'boring' ride hosts to be replaced with younger, fresher, happier staff. But it is nice to see, especially as they're a family park. Shame the same can't be said for Thorpe at the moment.

The staff at AI are really enthusiastic and interact well with the GP and I have no idea where this has come from. For the past 7+ years I've been going there they were incredibly miserable and only spoke to you to have a go about something. They all seem to be younger aswell, so I have a feeling they may of sacked quite a few of the older, more 'boring' ride hosts to be replaced with younger, fresher, happier staff. But it is nice to see, especially as they're a family park. Shame the same can't be said for Thorpe at the moment.

You say that but at least the staff at AI interact with the guests unlike most other parks I've been to. On all occasions that I've visited the staff have been brilliantly enthusiastic and helpful to guests (with one or two exceptions of course).

Not sure if this is a Merlin-esque PR stunt or serious?

Do AI have a similar rule to Merlin in that you should wear shirts on rides? If this is serious, could just be a (slightly OTT) extension to the rule...

Yes AI do have a rule that shirts must be worn on all rides at all times. As for the banning of that man, they did introduce a new strict policy about having to wear a top or shirt or whatever at all times while on the park. Their reasoning for this was because of the child-friendly family environment that the park is trying to maintain, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did (AI seem to be getting more and more serious and strict about everything each time I visit).

How long have the Ride Hosts been interacting well with the guests for then? Until recently, I stopped going as the staff were just so rude and it just made the park seem boring (and I discovered Merlin...) But they have ALWAYS been miserable as anything which my family put down to lack of pay and long hours, but that may just be down to the fact my family are speculative exaggerators :lol:

How long have the Ride Hosts been interacting well with the guests for then? Until recently, I stopped going as the staff were just so rude and it just made the park seem boring (and I discovered Merlin...) But they have ALWAYS been miserable as anything which my family put down to lack of pay and long hours, but that may just be down to the fact my family are speculative exaggerators :lol:

I mainly noticed it in the 2013 season, but the enthusiasm seemed weaker this season. New and younger staff were the more miserable and grumpy ones which is a shame

I went to AI a few weeks back and found the staff to actually be one of the highlights of my visit. Admittedly I found the gokart staff slightly blunt but most of them were anything if not talkative. They would even chat with you when the ride was in action; was quite bizarre.

Even managed to take a selfie with one of them. :P

I live 30mins away from AI so been there quite a lot and I remember when the staff were proper grumpy and recently I have seen a huge impact of new staff who are much more happier and make it a better experience, even the character team as last time I was down there was to hand in my cv but before I could do that I had a monkey not stop flirting with me (as said by the lady with the character) :'D Well I got some advice from a member of staff about the interview stages so it all good.

Thing is with the likes of Blackpool and Southend they are city parks, and benefit from extended times a lot more as people are more likely to visit for an hour or so during the day...

With the 'proper' parks, it's a full day jobbie to most guests, so 8 hours is generally enough time for the most part...

Not to say of course the parks would easily benefit from extended times in true peak season, but 12 hour days (say 9-9) for them isn't as attractive to guests really... It's long and tiring, whereas locals in Blackpool can pop in late for an hour or two, it's just no doable at the likes of Thorpe and Towers...

Thing is with the likes of Blackpool and Southend they are city parks, and benefit from extended times a lot more as people are more likely to visit for an hour or so during the day...

With the 'proper' parks, it's a full day jobbie to most guests, so 8 hours is generally enough time for the most part...

Not to say of course the parks would easily benefit from extended times in true peak season, but 12 hour days (say 9-9) for them isn't as attractive to guests really... It's long and tiring, whereas locals in Blackpool can pop in late for an hour or two, it's just no doable at the likes of Thorpe and Towers...

I seem to manage it at Fright Nights pretty well!

Also, I'm not sure why you seem to think that Adventure Island and BPB aren't proper parks?

Back in the old days though Chessington for example would regularly open late in the summer and on weekends and sell an 'evening ticket' (after 17.00hrs?) for a few quid. Some people who had been there all day would go but they would be replaced by the evening only people. People will have a better time if they feel they can relax through a longer day, and another advantage for the parks is all the extra food receipts if you can get people to stay for another main meal.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice little story from AI's facebook...

63095_10150347275530548_2856256_n.jpg

9 hrs · 

News Flash!! Drowning Naked Lady Saved @ Southends Three shells Beach

This afternoon on the busy Three shells Beach a young women in distress was spotted by members of the public in the sea, 100 yards from the shore, in deep water.

A member of the Adventure island security team nearby became aware of the developing danger, at risk to himself he entered the water and swimming against the tide,within minutes had reached her.Having taken control he brought her safely back to the Three Shells Beach where there was a spontaneous outburst of appreciation by other members of the public for the heroic actions of the Adventure Island security officer, the young women's family were on the beach and were very grateful for the safe return of their family member.

The security guard said,

"I was glad that I was in the right place at the right time and could use my skills picked up as a member of Southend lifeboat team to save the life of this young lady"

10561680_10154455778130548_6413650892041
LikeLike ·  · Share · 4886033