Adventure Island - Southend

Jamie_Hk

• 3 weeks later...

Was a shame that had to make way for rage, was a great little flume for the site they squeezed it in to. Would have thought Rage would have been better off going at the end of the water slides where with a bit of shuffling nothing would have had to go, I can only imagine the flume wasn't able to pay for itself which is obviously essential in a pay per ride park.

Just got back from a brilliant day! Park closed at 5, Rage on one train, had most of the rides to ourselves all day! Longest queue was a shocking less than 5 minutes. They refused to sell me Fastrack  :ohmy:

Time Machine, I raved about this last year and will do the same again. IT'S INSANE!!!! Both me and Toofpikk greyed out and could feel the force pulling on our faces, it's bonkers yet so good! And I can't stand spinning yet I love this ride! To think it was made in house, the same engineering team that made Fireball and Drop'n'Smile can make something that crazy that is reliable and doesn't tear itself apart! I want one near me! :D

Big Saturday Nights Out starts tonight down AI and there saying the stage is now at Jungle Jive Café and the best seats are by wristband only. Do anybody know if they have setup a new stage or something and if its inside or out? Really confusing as they say you can still see it away from the main area...

It cant be as there calling it the 'Jungle Jive Stage' I have been informed that the original plan was in talks last year was to turn the entire jungle jive area into a performance area so half the Archelon ride area would host the stage and a seating stand would be constructed in front of the café. The plan was to attract big names not X factor people. Could always be a test this year to see how well it goes for next year.

Apart from this year we've always been over the summer holidays and it's busy but not bad, 15 minutes on Rage with all 3 trains operating and almost no stacking. They will very swiftly add more trains on that if needed. Other than Rage (and maybe the stairs up to the water slides) the rides don't even have queue lines that can hold more than 10 minutes (on the flats usually just a ride cycle) so it's never busy. And if it is a busy day they'll be open till 10:30pm. 

Try and see how many times you can ride Time Machine in a day ;) that's a good challenge, it's such an amazing ride and to think it was built in-house is amazing and terrifying at the same time :P the forces that ride places on you is insane! What's even more worrying is it has a control panel to adjust speeds and stuff, it just isn't allowed to be changed from its usual settings or the staff member who changes it will get fired :o (well that's what the sign in the control box said).

Apart from this year we've always been over the summer holidays and it's busy but not bad, 15 minutes on Rage with all 3 trains operating and almost no stacking. They will very swiftly add more trains on that if needed. Other than Rage (and maybe the stairs up to the water slides) the rides don't even have queue lines that can hold more than 10 minutes (on the flats usually just a ride cycle) so it's never busy. And if it is a busy day they'll be open till 10:30pm. 

For that reason, I really want to visit Adventure Island.  It's a delight to be in a park that genuinely cares about customer enjoyment, and actually wants to shift queues.  Also, they seem to be the only park in the UK with consistently good opening times, as let's face it they are poor at most UK parks.

I just wish they had one more thrill coaster, as it does seem a long way to travel for one.  (However Time Machine looks amazing!)

Some of Adventure Island's staff used to be awful. Very rude, practically grunted at you, this season is the first I've seen in which I remember where every host on every ride I ventured on has been happy, energetic and really engaging. Hi-fiving a host at this age is awfully liberating you know.

Although I didn't know of this payment system, last thing I knew that the pay was dreadful, and as a lot of the staff are young people who probably want the money a lot, I can't help but agree with Fred.

Lol when I went with SCB a couple weeks back it was like I was a popular kid in a school. All but one of the ops were really friendly and exciting, when I got out my gopro they jumped about like 5 year old's, and they very very interactive. One made me blush and gave me a hug, one made me laugh and high fived me, and another wore a cape and laughed at how scared I was on over the hill (such, a pussy). It was such a friendly atmosphere and until SCB explained the old staff situation, I didn't get why people had such a grudge against the staff there.

They don't care about customer experience - each person riding is money to them. So they extend to make more money, literally.

They're a fairgound with far different attitudes to even a crappy theme park.

One of the many reasons that queuing at Liseberg or Tivoli Gardens is a joy, why I'd take a 30 minute queue for Kanonen over a 30 minute queue for Stealth and why I've always enjoyed my trips to Adventure Island. Great place to visit.  :wub:

It was such a friendly atmosphere and until SCB explained the old staff situation, I didn't get why people had such a grudge against the staff there.

Out of interest, what is the staff situation?

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing - it's just very wrong to think they're doing it for the benefit of the guests themselves.

Although there is another way of looking at it - happy guests will spend more money.