Adventure Island - Southend

Jamie_Hk

Rage and over the hill sometimes get 20 to 30 min queues, especially towards the end of the day. Other than that you're usually looking at waiting for one or two ride cycles for most things. Occasionally they'll have a really busy one but that's rare.

Amazing what pay per ride does for operations, isn't it!

If it's hot, you could wait a considerable-ish amount of time for Tidal Wave. I remember waiting something like 45 minutes for it as a child! Other than that, the queues aren't really something to worry about, the place may seem to be heaving, but not everyone there is going on rides.

So glad I've been to Adventure Island now... Had a really great day, definitely nice to go to a non merlin park, and less of a full on theme park.

Not sure if it's worth £27 and half price after 6 for only up to 4 hours is a bit of a rip off... But I only paid £7 +£20 worth of tesco voucher, so was decent.

The staff that work there must be high or something, or not sure if that's just how Essex people are... They were absolutely crazy, but really made a change to most places with how nice and funny they all were.

The rides, Rage was a little bit of a disappointment as it was pretty slow and a bit tame, but fun nonetheless, and the other 4 family creds were great fun too! Over the hill was certainly different, as was the devil gold mine (spinning ride, can't remember the proper name)... Most of the rides there were a bit odd, like the skateboarder and fireball which has the worst throughput I think I have ever seen, as they let people off they don't let people back on and seem to do it in a really funny order (the same with the big wheel actually). the claw was horrific, so was scorpion... And finally the other main ride that deserves a mention is Time Machine, can't believe I rode it 3 times, I literally wasn't even going to ride it the first time, but got persuaded to and sorta regretted it, felt sick after a few seconds, it is such a unique and intense ride, I came off feeling so dizzy and ill, but persisted on with the day and ended up on it twice more which was just about bareable but still ridiculous!

Queues weren't that bad at all really for half term although the park seemed packed, didn't really end up waitin more than 10/15 minutes although some rides should have been less but the staff really seemed more interested in guest interaction than throughput on quite a few occasions which did get slightly annoying, but glad we went for the whole day as I was shocked how many rides there were compacted in to such a small area aha, ended up with a total ride count of 46, played crazy golf and done the pier as well which is so misleading how far it is until you actually start walking it and realise you're getting nowhere pretty much aha... So overall had an amazing day and would definitely try and return in the future like next year, but don't think it's somewhere I could go every few weeks like Thorpe etc.

A rather good response to The Smiler incident from Adventure Island, with a fairly reassuring piece they did for breakfast tv on their facebook page.

Message about Ride Safety at Adventure Island

The health and safety of our customers is of paramount importance to Adventure Island.

We have a rigorous inspection process, which involves, daily, weekly, monthly and annual checks on each of our rides by our in-house highly experienced, qualified team.

All rides are also annually inspected by independent inspectors. All this happens before members of the public are permitted to ride. All our ride operators receive meticulous training before operating any of our attractions and are then continuously assessed.

Like the majority of other theme and fun parks across the UK and Europe, Adventure Island also has a rollercoaster by Gerstlauer, the manufacturer of Alton Towers’ Smiler.

Our rollercoaster – Rage – has been in operation for 7 years with no safety issues. It is impossible for two cars to collide as the independent dual computer system prevents a car starting its ride until the previous car has arrived back in the station

Our first action on hearing of the tragic incident at Alton Towers was to immediately contact the ride manufacturer Gerstlauer in order to take their advice. They assured us that Rage is perfectly safe and there is absolutely no reason at all why it should not continue to operate as normal.

Obviously we will continue to monitor the situation and receive regular briefings from both the Health & Safety Executive and Gerstlauer, and will not hesitate to take appropriate action should that situation change.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...