Adventure Island - Southend

Jamie_Hk

2 hours ago, Glitch said:

Won't be heading here anytime soon, can't call yourself Covid secure whilst allowing those from Tier 3 in. Remember to stay safe people.

I am sure the fans of these vloggers are going to really appreciate it when they are all going to Europe come Janurary for "work purposes" whilst they are all stuck in this country if indeed the EU ban non essential travel from the UK.

Absolute joke.

In fairness, attractions can only do so much to enforce the guidance given from the government. Realistically, no attraction is going to check the address of every person, and then check what tier that address is in. It's the same for restaurants: no restaurant is going to be actively checking that every person in a group is from the same household.

This conversation is presumably coming from Theme Park WorldWide's visit to the park, despite the fact Shawn lives in a Tier 3 area and the park is in Tier 2, with his justification being 'TPWW forms his sole income, so he's travelled for work'. 

If you live in a Tier 3 area, you are told to avoid travelling, but you are not banned from it. So Shawn/TPWW aren't breaking any rules. Attractions and venues can, in theory, stop them from entering under their own T&Cs, but almost definitely wouldn't unless people were causing issues.

Ultimately, it's a bending of the rules, not a breaking of them, and you could argue it's morally a grey area. And it shows how easy it is to exploit the government's recommendations, and how important it is for every single person to play their part, and use their own judgement and common sense. 

4 hours ago, Glitch said:

Won't be heading here anytime soon, can't call yourself Covid secure whilst allowing those from Tier 3 in. Remember to stay safe people.

This is a very silly way to look at things. The park have put more than reasonable measures in place to be covid safe, you can't blame them for who turns up from where.

1 hour ago, pluk said:

This is a very silly way to look at things. The park have put more than reasonable measures in place to be covid safe, you can't blame them for who turns up from where.

Just a casual  rhetoric jab at Shaun, his channel needs to be gone and its a shame that its still around. 

I would visit if in the area for work purposes obviously. 

On 12/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, Glitch said:

Just a casual  rhetoric jab at Shaun, his channel needs to be gone and its a shame that its still around. 

I would visit if in the area for work purposes obviously. 

I don't get the TPWW hate. I'm no fan, I'm no fan of any vlogger really as I find the whole thing a bit of a cringy embarrassment,  but he turns out comparatively decent videos and seems a nice enough chap. I watched this Adventure Island one, what with it being my home park, and he shows the place off really well. Made me want to visit, as his series of videos at the end of summer from loads of smaller parks did for those places for the couple I saw, and having people visit is exactly what these smaller parks need. 

1 hour ago, pluk said:

I don't get the TPWW hate. I'm no fan, I'm no fan of any vlogger really as I find the whole thing a bit of a cringy embarrassment,  but he turns out comparatively decent videos and seems a nice enough chap.

I guess the main one these days is the controversy which occurred earlier in the year, with people involved in the channel having allegations against them. Obviously they're not (actively) involved any more, but Shawn's handling of it was certainly far from good, in my opinion. And this even went further with some, less serious, allegations against Shawn's views, and how he acts in person to some people.

Even before then, there was this anti-TPWW thing. I wonder if part of it was a little bit of envy/jealousy being thrown against him, because he was one of the first theme park vloggers, and so when it became mainstream, he was already huge. But I also think a part of it is down to how he has acted in person to some people, and it's just spiralled from there.

My personal opinion is that he's obviously got a good set up which works for him, and something like that takes hard work and doesn't happen on a whim. But the past year has shown he doesn't quite know how to handle himself in difficult situations. And I'm not quite sure he has a grasp on how to handle himself around others, in that he doesn't realise how big an influence he has in person, as well as online.

I personally never understood the obsession with Shawn both ways, some people seem to absolutely have a big vendetta and try jump on every small thing he does to cancel him. But other (probably more) fans absolutely worship him. Sometimes he gets brought up in conversation as if his video or his opinion on a certain thing is the benchmark for all theme park enthusiasts. Why do people care so much about him either way?

I dont get how he got so famous. He doesnt seem to do anything more than most vloggers ever did, even in the old days when he was just reading things in his bedroom. He doesnt exactly have any special charisma either, so I dont understand the appeal even if I was interested in vloggers.

It's nothing personal against him, I just dont understand everything surrounding him

On 12/17/2020 at 7:48 AM, pluk said:

I don't get the TPWW hate. I'm no fan, I'm no fan of any vlogger really as I find the whole thing a bit of a cringy embarrassment,  but he turns out comparatively decent videos and seems a nice enough chap. I watched this Adventure Island one, what with it being my home park, and he shows the place off really well. Made me want to visit, as his series of videos at the end of summer from loads of smaller parks did for those places for the couple I saw, and having people visit is exactly what these smaller parks need. 

He travelled from a tier 3 area to visit Adventure Island and claimed it under "work" which, IMO, is nonsense.  The idea is travelling to a lower tier for work should only be done if essential, not to go and ride a few coasters.

It's also setting a bad example to his followers and is one of those things where just because you can find a loophole, it doesn't mean you should.

He has also been on a blocking spree on social media with anyone who has dared to question his actions, and has referred to them as "trolls" even though many are just (rightfully) calling out his actions as selfish.

Earlier this year when the allegations came to light, he also tried to hide those at first by removing the replies to his tweets.  He's awful IMO.

He, much like other YouTubers, are slaves to the algorithm.

Stop posting videos for a bit and then suddenly your viewership (and revenue) drops considerably.

I think he's one of these people who became a bit of a favourite whilst working at Towers, and he took full advantage of that, allowing his fanbase to be in a good position when vlogging became such a major thing (I remember when the "Theme Park Room" was one of the most cringiest things to ever cringe).

My experiences of him have been limited (even if I accidentally appear in one of his vlogs in the background), but it's not been great admittedly. Being loud and annoying in the middle of Nemesis entrance area and then kicking off because he and his group weren't allowed to be the first on MRAWS. There's certainly an edge to him which was put under the spotlight this year.

Unfortunately (and this is a larger trend), the fan base of said creators are perhaps some of the strangest of beings. The mental gymnastics they will perform to support someone because they've gotten involved in shenanigans is often a sight to behold.

All in all, even if it was technically work related, travelling across the country in the current climate is certainly not a great idea. Though half the issue is down to the poor handling of this pandemic from our dear leaders.

I don't think it can be denied that doing this is his work. I don't think it could be argued he could do this work without going there to do it, and there have been very few attractions open to chose from. It cant be argued that you can travel for work if you cannot work from home because that's the law, and therws nothing in law that states the work needs to be essential. That's not a loophole or bending of the rules, its the law which is written that way deliberately. That being the case I find it hard to be critical of him doing it, even if it's not something I'd do myself right now.

As for the allegations, he was in a no win situation with that, and as a one man band trying to deal with that I'm not sure what people could expect of him? He's not going to have slick managed response and I don't see how he could be responsible for his friends actions which themselves never went beyond unconfirmed allegations. 

If people have found him to be an arse in real life then fair enough I suppose.

7 hours ago, pluk said:

I don't think it can be denied that doing this is his work. I don't think it could be argued he could do this work without going there to do it, and there have been very few attractions open to chose from. It cant be argued that you can travel for work if you cannot work from home because that's the law, and therws nothing in law that states the work needs to be essential. That's not a loophole or bending of the rules, its the law which is written that way deliberately. That being the case I find it hard to be critical of him doing it, even if it's not something I'd do myself right now.

As for the allegations, he was in a no win situation with that, and as a one man band trying to deal with that I'm not sure what people could expect of him? He's not going to have slick managed response and I don't see how he could be responsible for his friends actions which themselves never went beyond unconfirmed allegations. 

Yes it's his work but is it right for taking the GF along for the ride too, working in retail which I assume has lots of contact with others.....

Also just delve through the old videos and you shall find, convicted pedophiles and some very creepy call outs / sexual innuendos for women within the community.

Now it seems as he has blocked the whole of Theme Park Twitter and will just continue to do his own thing, which is fine, I'm blocked personally for asking a simple question. 

I guess we will need a new Rob Alvey eventually.

On the no win situation thing, I believe the same happened to Coaster Studios in the US and one of his friends. I believe a FB response/ support group was set up very promptly.

Either way this community is clearly very toxic, perhaps my jabs at TPWW add to that but I believe they are justified. 

However we can't go a week without one form of drama or another.

Remember Merlin allegedly going to block vloggers or people leaking Vallhalla's new retheme ruining an entire marketing division. 

There's only one way to best describe Theme Park twitter: 

10 hours ago, pluk said:

Vloggers can work from home, many changed the style of their videos over the first lockdown so they could continue providing content from home.  There's always stuff for enthusiasts to talk about if they want to, there's no need to go around putting other people at risk.

The restrictions (attached below) clearly state where necessary, visiting a theme park isn't necessary work.  He can film and upload from home.

image.png.3bce9b4e3c07dd30aa7af8f6e8a26e8c.png

It also brings the question of whether he should be doing it morally, given that it will encourage others to do the same and add to the problem causing parks to have to close.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-3-very-high-alert#travel

In relation to the allegations, are you seriously suggesting that hiding tweets from the victims was an acceptable response?!  Many YouTubers at least upload a video explaining what's happened when things like this happen, even if they are proved false, to provide their subscribers with the info.  Shawn tried to brush it under the carpet rather than address it, and barely addressed it properly even when he was forced to.

Lol I'm not a Shawn fan, but the witch hunt certainly isnt justified. Shawn's core content is vlogs, vlogs, vlogs. I don't watch him very often, but that is what his is known for and what the people watch. So I could see why he would travel for work (TPW) even if the videos are god-awful. Also the park is not to blame (lol no business checks the address of every vistor lol)

This is a horrible virus and and we should be careful, but being the covid police is not the answer (there is no law against what talkwide is doing so..)

On 12/20/2020 at 2:43 AM, SteveJ said:

Might be off topic but what were those things you mention Glitch? Just curious, I hadnt heard of either those

Mainly Twitter enthusiasts love drama there.

So the 'Merlin banning vloggers from vlogging' was a rumor started from someone who had "official Merlin sources" stating that Merlin would stop vlogging within weeks as a result of the TPWW incident. Merlin then invited Shaun to multiple media events and everyone has been free to vlog their hearts out ever since. The person a few months later deleted Twitter, due to their being too much drama on the platform. Returns a few weeks later........

The Blackpool one happened last off season I believe where a source 'leaked' that Valhalla was going to be refurbished and closed for the entirety of 2020. People once again on twitter were unhappy that, a source had leaked this to a small creator in the theme park fan base, and were sure the source was wrong and the information untrue. Spoiler alert, he was correct. Despite the informant wanting to leak the information, others in the community had said that jobs would be lost as a result and marketing campaigns ruined. Well I guess rollercoaster construction updates do the same thing but nobody complains about those. 

There are just some mean people in the theme park community who just want to create drama.