Alton Towers News

Dan9

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's true. They were planning on binning Ripsaw this year a long time before the crash happened anyway. The Flume and Charlie won't be missed whatsoever, and Sub Terra, well... good riddance.

So the only real casualty is Hex, and what a shame that is. This is the only real shame. Such a good ride (the only good ride on this list) and I'd imagine if there's any ride here that they'd rather have open- it's Hex.

Oh well, I wasn't planning on visiting Alton Towers next year anyway.

Ā 

What a great way to get guests back through the gates!Ā  :rolleyes:

Starting to wish I hadn't bothered renewing my MAP, as I can't see myself visiting Alton next year if this turns out to be true.

Ā 

Also, what did Hex do wrong?! :(

Ā 

Guess I'm not going towers next year then

Ā 

And here's where the vicious circle gets smaller. They clearly don't want to close these rides but some person in an office has decided that to increase profit, a certain amount of cuts have to be made. Alton have chosen the rides that cost the most to run because the bigger savings can be made without closing headline rides. But, come March, if the Smiler opens then the surrounding text will focus on all the rides closed and job losses. The article will focus on how much less there will be and how the entrance price hasn't come down. Alton will be in a lose lose situation and I've seen a fair amount of coaster geeks saying they won't go because Hex is closed.

Ā 

Ā 

By biggest worry about all this is how it takes a good chunk away of the non-coaster options from older visitors. Ā Of course, rides aren't everything at a theme park, and Towers still have the gardens, but aside from the coasters, there's not exactly much which entices me at the moment.

Ā 

Ā 

Thats my concern. The family rides are getting an almighty whack from this, leaving the Rapids, Runaway Mine Train and Duel to satisfy the entire family market. I like all three but when Alton inevitably turns back around and gets people through the gates again, those three rides are going to be hit the hardest. For a family theme park it's pretty shocking. I hope that a replacement for the Flume is in the pipeline because as much as it's not really liked, it's a massive people mover.

I'm pretty shocked my self about the amount of closures but minus hex none of them really surprise me.

Most of them can also be pretty easily hidden away.

By this I guess we can assume alton are not expecting anything to get any better next season and have adjusted the ride line up for the amount of guests they are expecting.

It says a lot about the expectations from our measly theme parks that some folks are saying "I understand X, Y and Z rides but not A and B rides"...

Ā 

It should be remembered that:

Ā 

The Flume regularly attracts a 20-45 minute queue, longer in hot weather.

Charlie regularly attracts a 20-30 minute queue.

Ripsaw may not get a queue, but it certainly is watched by as many that ride - if not more!

Hex gets a steady stream of guests, and in fact had a queue outside during Scarefest and fireworks. It is also one of the UK's most cherished rides.

Driving School... well, what is there to maintain? It's not old and it's pretty good for kids. Shoddy.

NST - the less said the better.

Ā 

It is diabolical in every which way - how can they claim to be a major theme park acting like this? Has anybody ever actually been to a park where 6 rides have just been closed for cost cutting reasons? I can't think I have and I have been to many.

Ā 

The way to regain trust and reputation is not to close rides down. Furthermore, the Mutiny Bay show will be cut for 2016 and I also expect lousy opening times, staggered ride offerings, food and beverage closures, shop closures and the loss of gardeners, technicians, operatives and entertainers.

Ā 

Alton were being made to cut things after the 2.9m guests that came in 2014. Anyone remember opening day 2015? Staggered openings galore. It was a joke - and that was after an amazing year! This isn't simply due to the Smiler. There is a wider agenda at work here and it's all about money.

Ā 

Will they cut the admission fee? Let us see...

Highly doubt the admission fee will be cut, if anything it'll probably still go up.

Unacceptable approach to business from Merlin here, they are essentially operating their resorts like bog-standard regional parks from what I expect next year.

Standards have slipped this year at most parks and on the assumption they may go even further, I am seriously already considering not renewing my pass when it comes up for renewal.

The urge to focus more on European & non Merlin uk parks is becoming a lot more apparent. Blackpool & Paultons will be seeing more visits for sure.

You can bet like the BBC and NHS the ones making the decisions won't be the ones affected either.

I bet it's something stupid like a bean counter that's never even been to the park who's said 'well most people come for the coasters, so let's cut the side shows', without realising most families spend an equal, if not more amount of time at the park doing the side-shows, you can only ride a coaster so many times before your body says enough is enough.

We will probably renew our MAP's, but I doubt we'll make the effort to goto Alton next year, it's just not worth it if half the side shows that we spent most of our 3 days on are closed.

Hex has like, 4 people on it...

Ā 

Some people saying that it's also buggered, seems to be a problem with Madhouses this year...

Went on the Friday of fireworks and it looked like Hex was closed all day with most of the staff just stood outside the entrance... A real shame if they do SBNO or scrap it as it is probably the best dark ride in the UK and such a great storyline that fits so well!

A 2016 towers trip

1/ ride nemesis

2/ check out the enhanced Air

3/ ride nemesis

4/ redo air to see how it compares

5/ ride nemesis

6/ Eat at food loop, looking at this burger bun shows how much soul is missing

7/ have another ride on nemesis

8/ walk with sorrow through the gardens for 2 hours

9/ Get thirteen & Oblivion down

10/ mourn over the closure of Hex

11/ ride Duel because it's the only elfin dark ride on park now apparently

12/ ride nemesis

13/ realise the air shop is closed

14/ ride nemesis

15/ buy out the gift shop to remember how good towers once was

16/ leave & go to Blackpool (because it's surely a better park for 2016).

Bah

IMO I don't think Merlin are in finance state,(if they where they would be selling some of there smaller attractions they own).

I think closing the six rides is mainly due to profit.

Like come on..

IMO closing six rides is going to make people not come to the park.

Or people will get bad experiences of the park,(like I would be angry if I payed 50Ā£ for six rides to be closed).

Which makes me question if in the long run this would be a good plan, would it just lower gate figures even more?

God help Merlin when Paramount hit the scene..

The idea that someone would go to Towers for the Flume is utterly out there. Ever since I first rode it, I've been aware that people hated it and wanted it gone. Now that it's (apparently) confirmed to be going, people suddenly love it and hate Towers decision to get rid.Ā 

Ā 

Hex I get, that's a fantastic ride, Flume was complete filler and if it was the only thing going/closed, people would be less up in arms about its removal.

A 2016 towers trip

1/ ride nemesis

2/ check out the enhanced Air

3/ ride nemesis

4/ redo air to see how it compares

5/ ride nemesis

6/ Eat at food loop, looking at this burger bun shows how much soul is missing

7/ have another ride on nemesis

8/ walk with sorrow through the gardens for 2 hours

9/ Get thirteen & Oblivion down

10/ mourn over the closure of Hex

11/ ride Duel because it's the only elfin dark ride on park now apparently

12/ ride nemesis

13/ realise the air shop is closed

14/ ride nemesis

15/ buy out the gift shop to remember how good towers once was

16/ leave & go to Blackpool (because it's surely a better park for 2016).

Bah

Ā 

You can do that if you like, I'd just re-ride the things that are open because lets face it, the park isn't going to be very busy at all next year.Ā 

The idea that someone would go to Towers for the Flume is utterly out there. Ever since I first rode it, I've been aware that people hated it and wanted it gone. Now that it's (apparently) confirmed to be going, people suddenly love it and hate Towers decision to get rid.

Hex I get, that's a fantastic ride, Flume was complete filler and if it was the only thing going/closed, people would be less up in arms about its removal.

I don't think anyone has claimed that people visit specifically for The Flume, but it was very popular and gained long queues despite having a good throughput. Filler rides are a vital part of a park's lineup as they take pressure off the main rides/coasters as well as there being more rides for guests to enjoy.

I never hated The Flume for the record, it's a very good log flume and probably the longest one in the country at least.

I don't think anyone has claimed that people visit specifically for The Flume, but it was very popular and gained long queues despite having a good throughput. Filler rides are a vital part of a park's lineup as they take pressure off the main rides/coasters as well as there being more rides for guests to enjoy.

I never hated The Flume for the record, it's a very good log flume and probably the longest one in the country at least.

Ā 

1. Yes, all log flumes are popular. Hence why Merlin's decision to removed them from three parks is an odd one.Ā 

2. I know filler rides are important. I know they take pressure off the rollercoasters. Hence why they are called support rides.

3. I've heard many descriptions of the Flume, good is never one put towards it. It's significant to Towers for being one of its first few major rides, thats it.Ā 

4. Lets get one thing straight here, I'm in agreement with you that all of these rides beings SBNO and others being removed is a bad thing not only for Towers but Merlin and the UK in general. Ā 'the support rides like Hex and the Flume make the park' just sounds odd.Ā 

Your exact words were "the coasters don't have the appeal for me... It was support rides like The Flume and Hex that made it"

So unless you didn't really believe what you were saying, your post as you know was stating how your main draw to Towers was namely Hex & The Flume and you care little for their major rides bar 2. Which can't be true when all the rides they're shutting were in a rubbishy state anyway.

I mean, I might go and secretly enjoy broken rubbish like Duel more than "best coaster in the world" Nemesis, but I can still think objectively about where the real draw actually is.

Still a great shambles to be shutting so many attractions because they're fudged and/or not as popular as the rest.